Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 10:28   #1
BHPian

Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

I need opinions/recommendations on which electric shaver to purchase here in India.

I think Philips is the number 1 company? I did a Google search and see so many model numbers and am not sure which is a good one amongst all those.

So please suggest a electric razor that you have personally used and found to be good. If it matters, the razor should work well on thick/strong beard. Budget is Rs. 5k.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

did you take power cuts into consideration
buy a rechargeable one.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:35   #3
BHPian

oh I assumed that all electric razors have offline mode, i.e., are rechargeable/runs on batteries.
Old 28th April 2009, 11:11   #4
BHPian

I have been using Braun and Remington, which I got from US. Dual Voltage ones. Pretty comfortable to use. Only issue is to get the Blades. Couldnt locate any shop in BLR. Does anyone have any idea.
Old 28th April 2009, 11:16   #5
BANNED

There are two kinds: wet & Dry. As far as I know only some Japs have wet razors.
There are three designs: Rotary, Comb, and Foil.
Rotaries can be either comb or foil. The best known is Philips (Norelco in the US).
Comb: Remington (US) used to be good
Foil: Braun is excellent.

I have been using Philips since 1977 and have been very happy. Have never gone back to razor blades. I used to have a Braun for evening / travel use. The earlier Philips units were all mains only, but the last two have been rechargeable. The cutters tend to wear out in about two to three years, and in practice replacements are not available. So I end up changing my razor every three years.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2009, 12:55   #6
BHPian

I have been using a Panasonic Wet & Dry model for the last 5 years. I have not faced any issues with this model and it is still going strong!
Old 28th April 2009, 13:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Always prefer to use the conventional blades. However, on occasions, I use a Philips Dry Shaver. Results are not very good, but then that is probably because my facial hair is thick and course. I have also used a couple of Chinese make ones which actually were better than the Philips one although they conk out in about six months. Still, the Philips one cost me 2.8K while the Chinese ones are only Rs.350/- !
Old 28th April 2009, 13:10   #8
BHPian

I used a braun razor for a while, bought it from singapore for about 170 singapore dollars.
Money down the drain really. everytime I use it to shave I get pimples on my face! I stopped using it as a shaver and use it only to trim the little nuisance hair follicals on the cheekbones. Even then it ends up giving me razor burns!
I would say invest in one of the newer gillete mach 3 razors. Electric razors arnt really made for thick beards like ours.
Old 28th April 2009, 16:03   #9
BANNED

If you decide to go electric then you have to 'grin and bear it' for about 2-4 weeks before your beard and you get trained in the ways of the electric razors. believe me the first three weeks are hell! So if you are willing to got through this initiation then life is pleasant. my beard is also very tough (used to wear out the old blades - Schick/Gillette/Wilkinson) in one week, so toughness is not a real issue.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2009, 18:12   #10
BHPian

Use Gillette Fusion Power, not technically a electric shaver but what the heck, it does use batteries to give a buzzing massage while you shave and I must admit, makes a mundane job like shaving quite enjoyable.
Old 28th April 2009, 22:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

I've been using Phillips Norelco rotary for almost 5+ years now. Its excellent except that it leaves some unfinished areas on the upper neck. I always do a quick touch up using blade.

I dont mind because my reason for using it is coz I have a v.v rough stubble and only the sharpest of blades will work for me.

Been thinking about trying foil but haven't decided Braun vs Panasonic.
Old 28th April 2009, 22:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Considering the thickness of my hair, I prefer to trim it as short as possible and use my Mach 3. I have a Panasonic ER206 trimmer. I also use it to trim my son's hair. They have good shavers if you want to look.
Old 28th April 2009, 22:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Considering the thickness of my hair, I prefer to trim it as short as possible and use my Mach 3. I have a Panasonic ER206 trimmer. I also use it to trim my son's hair. They have good shavers if you want to look.
this is exactly what i do. i don't shave regularly. so i have this comb-style philips razor which is super quick to trim it to stubble (before bath) and i use gillette sensor excel (after bath) for proper shave. i would have loved it if i could just use trimmer to get stubble but its uneven so definitely needs regular shave aftre trimming.

electric-alone for indian hair is less suitable. i really tried and gave up,
Old 1st January 2010, 13:52   #14
BHPian

Have been using a Philips RQ1053 Arcitec for a week now. Around 135 euros (~ Rs.9000).

Works well - but I didn't try it out on a 4-5 day stubble so far.

Its a made-in-holland piece and the build quality is amazing. I usually stare and feel it for a minute before actually getting down to shaving!
Old 1st January 2010, 14:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am using a Philips Philishave and the results are pretty good.

They run on rechargeable batteries(2 AA size).

Other good brands are Remington(expensive though) and Panasonic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks