Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 23:01   #76
BHPian

Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Flipkart is marketing similar featured Aquatec model-Philips AT890/16 Shaver For Men- at Rs 3175(after a 26% discount on Rs 4205). It is a corded/cordless unit.They have a wide range.
But, no idea where spare cutters are available here.
I have an AT890 and I use that as a backup for my Braun 7.

The spare blades are, in fact, available in India from Philips service centers, they're replacement blades HQ8 and they do a really good job for about a year and a half of shaving every day. You could either sharpen the blades yourself ( Search for sharpen blades of Philips shaver on youtube) ; or go in for a set of new ones. They cost ~2700 INR. At that price point you'd be better off buying a new one. Dumb pricing.
Old 29th July 2014, 09:58   #77
BHPian

Thats great. AT890 appears to have all the salient features of Norelco unit. I will check youtube video reg Resharpening of cutters.However,right now I had the original Norelco spare cutter unit (bought with the shaver) for replacement,if necessary.
I agree,instead of buying Philips spares,you can as well replace the unit itself
I had a pocket model Braun for travel purposes.Gave good service and finally died leaving a dead battery.I discarded it later.
Old 30th July 2014, 14:08   #78
BHPian

I replaced the NiCd battery on my Norelco trimmer last week and it's back to running well. I'm yet to see how many trims I'd get out of each full charge. I used a 1000mAh battery.
Old 31st July 2014, 13:32   #79
BHPian

I am looking for a multi purpose trimmer which can be used to trim facial, nose and ear hair. I don't intend using this as a shaver (i will continue to use Gillette mach razors for that). this will be used for trimming the beard, when i feel like keeping one, and also for nose and ear trimming.

I am a first time user and not very familiar with electric shavers/trimmers. what is the difference between rotary,foil and comb types.

i found the following product (Philips QG3343/16 Multi Purpose Trimmer) which seems to meet my requirements.
Is there any other similar products? also does the battery and cutters wear out fast and can it be easily replaced.

Any inputs/pointers from the experts will be helpful
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:46   #80
BANNED

Foil: These use a very thin foil as the cutting element. They give the closest shave. However, you have to move against the direction of growth to make it work, and the foil is fragile.

Rotary: Philips (Norelco in the US) are the pioneers in this. Since the cutter moves in circular fashion, you need not be exactly against the grain. Approximately against the growth will do, the hair have to go inside the perforated port. You may call it a circular comb.

Comb: Similar to the rotary except the injunction of going against the growth holds. This was pioneered by Remington.

I use the rotary since end of 1976! With a rotary or you need to change the cutters every three years or so (they say annually). Foil I think will be similar.
Old 29th November 2014, 22:33   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I started shaving with Gillette Sensor Excel and subsequently moved to three blade Mach 3/Turbo. Mach 3 shave was the best I had ever had, very sharp blades and next to no irritation so when the fusion was announced I was really happy. Bought the Fusion Power while I was in London but was sorely dissapointed. I felt that 5 blades were there for the heck of it, the razor gave me more skin burns than Mach 3 so came back to Mach 3 again. I still have the fusion power with 5 cartridges with me but I do not plan to use it.
My experience is the same as Extreme torque !

My personal suggestion to those who venture newly into the electric shaver arena is:

Shaving against the grain is not recommended by physicians, I too agree as I got my skin feeling rough and dry..as I did hoping it will get adjusted, after months it didnt get well adjusted and I can see my skin very different on the flip side.

It takes a while for the skin to get adjusted with the new shaver.

Electric shaving takes more time than using a razor blade.

My experience, Gillete Mach 3 is the best and does the job flawlessly, quickly (yes, many buy electric razors thinking they might save some 5-10 mins during the busy morning rush, but the fact is they take more time as you have to make multiple passes over the skin)

Electric shavers are not the swipe and wipe kind, you got to make multiple passes against the grain.

If somebody is keen to try electric shavers, you need give a good 20 days for your skin to get set with that. If you arent comfortable, move back to razor blades and give the same time back (many will!). Many of the new users will get thrilled the day they use it and as day go, will find that cumbersome to use (Exceptions are the top end models of renowned companies, if you are on a moderate budget, my suggestion is please stay away from electric shavers, as there is a price for quality)

I tried few rotaries (Philips), foils, (Braun Cruzer range) and since that I bought them persisted with them for a good time to make the money's worth but its a hard lesson learnt and yes, one day decided to go back to Mach 3, fusion kind which does the job.

I cant write off the electric ones because the shavers that comes coupled with groomers, trimmers are very helpful

Also you can shave without water, blades etc, so that finds a whole new place to use, your car, I use them for shaving whenever I do any short trips, quick & dirty and keep one in my car and another in my office cabin (yeah, you too may need it when u got to go for any ad hoc meeting and you dont want to make the office restroom like your vanity room with others passing by).

My verdict:

Use a good razor blade of your choice for shaving
Use Machines for trimming, body grooming

Again its just me and Im not a grooming expert, just sharing my experience with you in a generalist view. You for sure factor that there are various skin types and the skin reactions can grossly vary. Happy grooming :-)
Old 30th November 2014, 10:59   #82
BANNED

I am a electric shaver man since end 1974 and our son has never used any other kind. So I think we have a bit of experience. I find Philips (Norelco in the US) do not market the higher end shavers in India, but things are reputed to be changing.
Old 30th November 2014, 12:52   #83
Senior - BHPian

I've used every hi-end electric shaver and find the Braun Rotary most comfortable. But it's not close to the shaves which a Mach 3 or Schick 3 would offer. The oldie - 'single blade' remains the closest shave till date but very prone to cuts if not super careful.
Old 16th December 2014, 13:50   #84
BHPian

I use a Series 1 shaver from braun bought 3 years ago. Its a foil type shaver. Works wonderfully. Just replace the foil once in 18 months.
Old 18th December 2014, 17:41   #85
Senior - BHPian

Where do you replace the cutters or foils of the razor?
Old 18th December 2014, 18:51   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I use a Series 1 shaver from braun bought 3 years ago. Its a foil type shaver. Works wonderfully. Just replace the foil once in 18 months.
Where do you get them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Where do you replace the cutters or foils of the razor?
Easy, open the cover, unclip the old one and replace.
Old 18th December 2014, 23:31   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Where do you get them?

Sir i got it from Bhopal in 2011. Dont remember for how much. Getting the replacement foil from amazon india for Rs 650.
Old 20th December 2014, 12:30   #88
Senior - BHPian

Below is an excellent product from Gillette, it come with a 3 in One set (Shaving blade and 2 stage trimmer adapters. We will not need anything more than this. I got this from the USA before it launched here. 100% satisfied with its utility. I recommend buying rechargeable batteries and a charger unit to make it very economical to use.

http://www.healthkart.com/sv/gillette-proglide-styler/SP-17471?navKey=VRNT-37145&itracker=w:searchresults|;p:14|;c:gillette%2 0shaver|;e:24|false|;
Old 20th December 2014, 13:22   #89
BHPian

Tangential thoughts. I started with Gillete Plastic disposables, then tried a few of Norelco electric razors. Finally after 20 years of shaving found the best thing. Double edged razors (kind our parents used). Get a top quality heavy weight razor (not the plastic) and use double sides blades. Much better ,faster and way cheaper shave than either any Gillete plastic or electric.
Old 20th December 2014, 14:29   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinghal View Post
Tangential thoughts. I started with Gillete Plastic disposables, then tried a few of Norelco electric razors. Finally after 20 years of shaving found the best thing. Double edged razors (kind our parents used). Get a top quality heavy weight razor (not the plastic) and use double sides blades. Much better ,faster and way cheaper shave than either any Gillete plastic or electric.
Doesnt work for me at all!!! Multiple blades based cartridges with moisturizer strips need much fewer strokes for cleaner shaves and doesn't leave redness and cuts. If your theory was indeed as effective Gillette wouldn't have bothered spending thousands of dollars or more on their R&D!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks