Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2014, 21:41   #91
BHPian

Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Doesnt work for me at all!!! Multiple blades based cartridges with moisturizer strips need much fewer strokes for cleaner shaves and doesn't leave redness and cuts. If your theory was indeed as effective Gillette wouldn't have bothered spending thousands of dollars or more on their R&D!!!
yes, true multi-blade sytems require fewer strokes and are more forgiving. But once you figure out the double edge razors and combine with good quality pre-shave and shave cream- much lesser burn and better shave (and cost much less). But I guess each one to his own!
Old 21st December 2014, 07:36   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinghal View Post
yes, true multi-blade sytems require fewer strokes and are more forgiving. But once you figure out the double edge razors and combine with good quality pre-shave and shave cream- much lesser burn and better shave (and cost much less). But I guess each one to his own!
+1. I re-introduced myself to the world of DE shaving a few months back, and have not gone back to Mach3 since. A shining Edwin jagger DE razor, a set of feather and astra blades and a Kent silvertex brush keep me happy for most days.
And Gillette spending on R&D is to mainly to look at newer ways of making profits and newer gimmicks to entice customers (Mach 3, fusion etc). Not for finding out the cheapest and better way of shaving. But to each his own I guess.
Old 13th April 2015, 10:34   #93
BANNED

Cutters for Philips / Norelco

I found that the performance of my five year old Philips HiQ 8240 had really degraded over four years I had had it (they recommend that cutters be replaced every year). I had bought it in Dubai so there was no hope about spares. The US uses a totally different line up, under tha label Norelco. My son had discovered that amazon.com could provide cutters for Philips/Norelco shavers since these were identified by Cutter models and not shaver model. These were common to both brands. So I searched for the Head HQ9 and was able to order a set of three cutters under $40 delivered, Much cheaper than replacing the shaver. I have ordered it from amazon.com and expect the cutters in about two week.
Old 13th April 2015, 11:29   #94
Senior - BHPian

I am using the Philishave Aquatouch 620 for my daily shaves.
Though it is good, the skin reddens sometimes.

Have countered this by applying copious talcum powder for sometime and then take bath.
Old 13th April 2015, 22:18   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
I am using the Philishave Aquatouch 620 for my daily shaves.
Though it is good, the skin reddens sometimes.

Have countered this by applying copious talcum powder for sometime and then take bath.
How long have you been using it. Maybe you need some pre-shave, or an antiseptic aftershave. I have never used my razors wet so cannot comment if you are doing that. I have been using electrics since 1974 end!
Old 13th April 2015, 22:26   #96
BHPian

Bought the "Philips QT4011/15 Trimmer For Men" Two weeks ago.
Pretty happy with the product.
Very easy to use and 1 hr charging = 90 mins run time is just amazing!
Old 14th April 2015, 08:58   #97
BANNED

@arnabchak; Assuming you have been using the shaver for over three months continuously the following can be the reasons

1. Damaged cutters. They can abrade the skin. Solution, replace the cutters.
2. Infection - you need to disinfect and use and antiseptic after-shave, most are since they use alcohol.
Old 14th April 2015, 09:51   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Bought the "Philips QT4011/15 Trimmer For Men" Two weeks ago.
Pretty happy with the product.
Very easy to use and 1 hr charging = 90 mins run time is just amazing!
Hi, I was looking at buying the same one. This is available on FK for 1770 or whereabouts right? How is the quality of the trimming? Does it adjust to the contours of the face easily?
Old 14th April 2015, 10:18   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Hi, I was looking at buying the same one. This is available on FK for 1770 or whereabouts right? How is the quality of the trimming? Does it adjust to the contours of the face easily?
Yes, bought it at 1770. needs 1 or 2 tries/uses to get used to, initially. The trimming quality is pretty good. Just that the very first time when you use it you might think nothing's happening.
The comb helps in adjusting to the face contours.
Without the comb the trimmer "may" be a little difficult to handle.
I level my beard at the setting "7" and it trims evenly to level it up. The rest I shave using razor to give it a defining outline.
P.S. I need to close one of my eyes when trimming close to it as the trimmed hair flies off and gets lodged in my eyes sometimes! :(
Old 14th April 2015, 10:45   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
How long have you been using it. Maybe you need some pre-shave, or an antiseptic aftershave. I have never used my razors wet so cannot comment if you are doing that. I have been using electrics since 1974 end!
Dear Sir

I have been using this particular Shaver since last year.
I had a Philishave(Dry) one earlier.
How does this pre shave work? What is it exactly? Some sort of balm or lotion or some thing else?
Old 14th April 2015, 11:09   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does this pre shave work? What is it exactly? Some sort of balm or lotion or some thing else?
Pre shave for electric shaver is similar to shaving cream for traditional shaving. I am using LAB Series pre shave oil and pretty happy. It is not available in India though. In fact, I have not seen any pre shave for electric shavers here.
Old 14th April 2015, 11:52   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Pre shave for electric shaver is similar to shaving cream for traditional shaving. I am using LAB Series pre shave oil and pretty happy. It is not available in India though. In fact, I have not seen any pre shave for electric shavers here.
Thanks Jag.
Do we get it online? Could try and get the pre shave.
Any brand name?
Old 14th April 2015, 14:41   #103
Senior - BHPian

I purchased a Panasonic ER206 trimmer a couple of months back. So far, it is still on the initial charge and the performance is good. How long does it usually last before the blades need replacement? My usage is pretty minimal since I keep only a small beard and the remaining part is cleaned up by my Gillette Fusion. Any idea if Panasonic parts are easily available in India?

I've been using a Panasonic ER240 before this which was battery operated which was not really satisfactory. Even with a pair of fully recharged batteries, the cutting speed or blade was not good enough to cut properly soon enough.
Old 14th April 2015, 15:57   #104
BANNED

Quote:
Dear Sir

I have been using this particular Shaver since last year.
I had a Philishave(Dry) one earlier.
If you have been regularly using electric for a year, then the soreness cannot come from that.
So it must be damaged cutter or infection.

Pres-have is I think essentially a mild antiseptic along with some emollient or softener for the skin/beard. This is somewhat oilier than an after shave.
Old 14th April 2015, 17:51   #105
BHPian

I am looking to get some advise on which electric razor to buy.

Currently I am using Mach 3 but not happy with it. I am looking for a razor suitable for dry shaves.

Have selected few and could use some feedback:

Braun M60

http://www.amazon.in/Braun-Mobilesha.../dp/B002EZZ5NQ

Philips Aquatouch 610

http://www.amazon.in/Philips-AquaTou...ds=philips+610

Thanks!

Most Viewed