Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 14:07   #121
BANNED

Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

My old Philips HD 8240 (bought in Dubai) from 2011 seems to be giving up the ghost. I have used one spare set of cutters (from amazon.com) and also a replacement power pack. I have just ordered a Philips/Norelco S9311. I had to order at amazon.com since amazon.in did not have any 9xxx shavers. I have ordered it with spare cutters for #332.47 (incl import duty deposit).

I recently bought a Braun 799cc. One thing you may be better off with a cheaper model (no add on racks) since all they do is to put in an ethanol based solvent cleaner. I think a tap wahs should do equally well. If you must have the solvent unit the I suggest you use Isopropanol which has about the same boiling point 82.6C (in place of 78.4C). Isopropanol is easy to get and a 50% aqueous solution is available as surgical spirit from all chemists.

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th January 2017 at 14:15.
Old 26th January 2017, 22:47   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I do that as well (hot water).
I have seen these 'premium' type of blades on Amazon, but they seem to be extremely expensive. Is there a source to get them at reasonable price?

My Wilkinson sword cost me Re. 1 per blade - I bought a big packet from Crawford Market, but now I am running out of them. I can easily put a new one each time, but I typically use 2 blades across 3 sessions.
Try using 7Oclock Platinum (black) blades. Should cost you around 50 Rs for 5.
http://www.gillette.co.in/en-in/prod...latinum-blades
Old 27th January 2017, 14:32   #123
BANNED

Are you not on the wrong thread. This is dedicated to electric shavers. Maybe we need a general shaving thread.
Old 27th January 2017, 20:51   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Are you not on the wrong thread. This is dedicated to electric shavers. Maybe we need a general shaving thread.
Yup. There is a thread for using razors too:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...retro-way.html
Old 31st January 2017, 17:32   #125
BANNED

Hey guys. I am looking for a Beard Trimmer.

I keep a full thick beard and just need a trimmer with a good range of length plus a powerful motor.

I recently bought Philips Qt4011, and even at its max length of 10, it cut my beard too much. Plus it seems to trim slower than I would prefer.

Any suggestions. Priced around 2K would be preferable but can extend the budget.
Old 6th February 2017, 12:08   #126
BANNED

Received my Philips Series S9000 from Amazon.com USA three days back. Naturally, It is a major improvement from the 8240 which I bought many years ago from Dubai, I had replaced the cutters once. I made sure to order the shaver with a spare set of cutters. I could not order the additional cleaning fluid cartridges. Why I chose Amazon.com was because the series is still not available in India, and also the US import worked out about 5-10% cheaper.

Now the new unit came quite fast through ARAMEX while my Leather Conditioner through Cart2India / amazon.in is still stuck in the Labyrinth.
Old 19th March 2017, 12:12   #127
BANNED

I have an interesting observations. My Philips 9 series (S9311) has been going for well over a month. As per the design the capacity of the device to hold old whiskers is limited and I have to empty it every three to four days. However, today I decided to clean not only the compartment, but also the cutters. I found the cutters far less cluttered that any of my older units (remember I have been using Philips since 1974). There was almost no bristle on the blades. So now I may open/disassemble it only say once in three months or so.
Old 29th July 2017, 15:27   #128
BHPian

During 2000-2001, I had tried my hands on some brands such as Toshiko, etc., which not only gave skin cuts but also packed up pretty quickly.

I have been using a Philips twin razor rotary shaver since past 12 years or so and it has been impeccable. This unit is going very strong and seems to last another 10 years very easily.Overall I rate this old Philips shaver highly.

Earlier along with this Philips shaver, I used a Hitachi trimmer cum shaver which conked off after some 4 years of usage. Then I switched to a Philips trimmer which also conked off after some 2 years. Since past one and half years, I am using a HTC trimmer which I picked up at a D-mart store for some Rs 350 or so and appears quite durable.
Old 29th July 2017, 21:29   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Questions for the experts:

1. I am thinking of switching to electric shavers - which model/brand do you suggest. My preference is for reliability and one that will work in USA, Europe, Dubai and India ie my business travel beat.
2. How often do the blades needed changing and how difficult is it to source them
3. Do they come with batteries. If yes then does that create problems at cabin baggage security procedures at the airports.

I can buy it overseas or in India (not sure where though) or tell one of my well heeled brats to gift it to me.

Relevant facts - 57 years, face with average build, normal beard I guess - a little hard I guess with 40 years of blade scratching, have been using Mach 3 for 15 odd years.
Old 29th July 2017, 21:39   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

1. I am thinking of switching to electric shavers - which model/brand do you suggest. My preference is for reliability and one that will work in USA, Europe, Dubai and India ie my business travel beat.
2. How often do the blades needed changing and how difficult is it to source them
3. Do they come with batteries. If yes then does that create problems at cabin baggage security procedures at the airports.

I can buy it overseas or in India (not sure where though) or tell one of my well heeled brats to gift it to me.

Relevant facts - 57 years, face with average build, normal beard I guess - a little hard I guess with 40 years of blade scratching, have been using Mach 3 for 15 odd years.
Having used Philips S5050 for last couple of years, i am happy with its performance. It is a wet and dry shaver. It performs better in wet than as a dry shaver. Battery lasts for 3 shaves easily. Since this model has Ni-Cd batteries it takes around 4 hours for full charge. Philips recommends blade change every 2 years. However, i feel that the blades still have the bite.

There are newer improved versions like S7320 retailing at around 8k which have Li-ion batteries that charge within 2 hours, aerodynamic blades and other nifty features. If budget is not a constraint then i would suggest you consider these high end models.

EDIT: Saw that you can purchase abroad as well. In which case Philips Series 9000 would be an ideal buy.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 29th July 2017 at 21:41.
Old 29th July 2017, 22:24   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Having used Philips S5050 for last couple of years, i am happy with its performance. It is a wet and dry shaver.

There are newer improved versions like S7320 retailing at around 8k Saw that you can purchase abroad as well. In which case Philips Series 9000 would be an ideal buy.
Thank you for your inputs.-Narayan
Old 30th July 2017, 16:15   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Do you have any budget considerations? Braun makes some really good shavers if you are wiling to spend. I have been using their Series 7 for past 1.5 years. The charge lasts for about 10 shaves and the charger works with both 110 and 220V. Before this, I had a Braun travel shaver (M 90), which in itself is a good shaver but doesn't hold ground to the Series 7.

I'd say pick one up from abroad where you get a wider choice. Also, get a shaving oil specially made for electric shavers, which makes dry shaving a bit more effective.
Old 30th July 2017, 21:16   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Saw that you can purchase abroad as well. In which case Philips Series 9000 would be an ideal buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Do you have any budget considerations? Braun makes some really good shavers if you are wiling to spend. I have been using their Series 7 for past 1.5 years.
I'd say pick one up from abroad where you get a wider choice. Also, get a shaving oil specially made for electric shavers, which makes dry shaving a bit more effective.
Between the Philips 9000 and Braun Series 7 what would you suggest? Sorry to be a pain. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 30th July 2017, 22:08   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Between the Philips 9000 and Braun Series 7 what would you suggest? Sorry to be a pain. Thanks in advance for your help.
I use the 9300 series from Philips for the last few years and will vouch for it. Overall I've used philips/ norelco units for over ten years now and their usual life is 5 to 7 years. Blades may need changing every two years though.
Old 31st July 2017, 09:42   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have not used Braun brand. So i cannot compare. Probably, other members can help you out .

Most Viewed