Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2017, 21:23   #151
BHPian

Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Ordered a Norelco 8950 (without cleaning stand) from Amazon. Cost me Rs. 13100 including shipping and customs. I bought the 8950 instead of the 9311 because the cutters are same in both the shavers. Also all features are same except the shaving adjustment settings which the 9311 have.
I dont need the cleaning stand as I have a ultrasonic cleaner and I'll use that once in a while.
Supposed to delivered in around 10 days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
Hello guys, a very noob question from me. I work in the hotel industry and i have to be clean shaved every day. I use the Gillette fusion pro, used mach 3 prior to that. All i wanted to know is, is an electric shaver a better option for me ? Will it give the clean shave look a razor gives ? Sorry for such a stupid question but i have never used a electric shaver in my life.

PS: i shave EVERYDAY since 5-6 years.
From my experience normal razors give closer shaves than electric ones. But every one has it's merits and demerits. So, read through the net to find out what you can expect.

Last edited by archat68 : 5th August 2017 at 21:27.
Old 5th August 2017, 22:42   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, don't giggle but I need some guidance. I used my new electric razor for the first time this morning. The experience was pretty good though it took longer than my shaving brush and Mach 3 method. Nevertheless it isn't often at 57 that you try something for the first time ever. Some questions (with refrence to Philips Norelco 9000):

1. Are we supposed to shave dry or wet or either is okay
2. If wet then are we supposed to wash the face with soap, dry it and then shave or shave with the face wet
3. Or are we supposed to apply the oil and then shave with the electric razor

I am trying the electric in the hope of needing to carry less stuff in my toilet bag (I travel 12 to 14 days a month to put bread on the table). I hope the oil piece is not necessary. All advice will be gratefully received.
Old 5th August 2017, 23:09   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Guys, don't giggle but I need some guidance. I used my new electric razor for the first time this morning. The experience was pretty good though it took longer than my shaving brush and Mach 3 method. Nevertheless it isn't often at 57 that you try something for the first time ever. Some questions (with refrence to Philips Norelco 9000):

2. If wet then are we supposed to wash the face with soap, dry it and then shave or shave with the face wet

I am trying the electric in the hope of needing to carry less stuff in my toilet bag (I travel 12 to 14 days a month to put bread on the table). I hope the oil piece is not necessary. All advice will be gratefully received.
Not giggling, just happy that an experienced guy like you is also going electric!!(Seems hybrid though, just like your car ) I'm one third your age and feel good that i can give some inputs on this.

I have the regular Philips Aquatouch AT891, which basically a lot like your model only cheaper with lesser flexibility, but the working and mechanism is the same so I hope my observations will also apply to you.

To answer your questions
1. Either wet or dry is okay. But i have found with many trials that just a wet shave(without gel or foam) is useless and much more messy. So don't do that.
2. If the face is already wet and you don't wish to use the foam(time saving maybe?) then best to dry your face for a few minutes and then use it. The best part is you could get completely dressed, have your breakfast and even then shave easily,its so sophisticated that no hair fall out.
3. I would recommend against oil since then, the razor just slides on it without getting to cut it which makes it frustrating.

A few of my observations
- Go for a wet shave if you want it to be the ultimate in smoothness, but dry if you want it quick.
-Dry shave will hurt the first couple of times but later you get used to it and it doesn't bother you. I believe you would feel it even more since you are coming from a traditional razor
- Dry shave causes lot more trauma to the skin, so never forget to avoid aftershave. Forgot it once, and in a few days it was so itchy and red, probably allergy or some low grade infection. A dab of old spice does the trick and I haven't felt that problem again.
Old 6th August 2017, 00:41   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
All i wanted to know is, is an electric shaver a better option for me ? Will it give the clean shave look a razor gives ?
A good electric shaver does give a clean shave look as regular shaver. Many of my colleagues did not realize I use an electric shaver till I told them. Whether it is a better option for you is something you would have to find out yourself.

Quote:

Welecome to the club
Either wet or dry is OK, but I prefer dry since it is easier to clean and maintain the shaver that way.
I wash the face with just water (no soap), dry it with a towel and then shave.
If using a shaving oil, apply the oil after drying and wait for a couple of minutes before shaving.
Old 6th August 2017, 09:56   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, don't giggle but I need some guidance.

You can use it with shaving cream or foam or gel. And instead of your mach 3,use the electric shaver to shave. One thing I have observed is that you need to let your beard soak after applying gel or foam before you can start shaving. This results in a better shave. Remember to wash the shaver head under running water after you are finished and let it dry. After trying few brands,I found that nivea shave gel works well for my beard with electric shaver. I get almost the same result as I would get with mach 3. Try a few brands and continue the one that gives you the required results
Old 6th August 2017, 13:16   #156
BANNED

Quite franky even though I have been exclusively with Electric since 1974 I have never tried a wet shave. My current Philips/Norelco 9 series accepts wet but I have never felt the need.
Old 7th August 2017, 19:31   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Not giggling, just happy that an experienced guy like you is also going electric!! I'm one third your age and feel good that i can give some inputs on this.

A few of my observations
- Go for a wet shave if you want it to be the ultimate in smoothness, but dry if you want it quick.
-Dry shave will hurt the first couple of times but later you get used to it and it doesn't bother you. I believe you would feel it even more since you are coming from a traditional razor
- Dry shave causes lot more trauma to the skin, so never forget to avoid aftershave. Forgot it once, and in a few days it was so itchy and red, probably allergy or some low grade infection. A dab of old spice does the trick and I haven't felt that problem again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Welecome to the club
Either wet or dry is OK, but I prefer dry since it is easier to clean and maintain the shaver that way.
I wash the face with just water (no soap), dry it with a towel and then shave.
If using a shaving oil, apply the oil after drying and wait for a couple of minutes before shaving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You can use it with shaving cream or foam or gel. And instead of your mach 3,use the electric shaver to shave. One thing I have observed is that you need to let your beard soak after applying gel or foam before you can start shaving. This results in a better shave. Remember to wash the shaver head under running water after you are finished and let it dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Quite franky even though I have been exclusively with Electric since 1974 I have never tried a wet shave. My current Philips/Norelco 9 series accepts wet but I have never felt the need.
Thank you for your advice. Three days and counting. I plan to try each combination out - dry, wet, oil, lather and see what suits me best. Enjoying my new toy. Best wishes to each of you.
Old 11th August 2017, 18:58   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Confessions of a rookie (electric) shaver

sgiitk, sagarpadaki, agambhandari, Jaguar, gentlemen thank you for sharing your advice freely and patiently. Over the last week I have tried - wet (did not suit me), dry (could work) and oil (perfect made for each other). Have settled for the last. Enjoying my new toy and new experience. In fact I think I keep whirring it around longer than needed because of the newness of the kick. - Narayan
Old 12th August 2017, 11:29   #159
BANNED

One piece of advice for all Philips/Norelco users. Keep a set (or even two) of cutters handy. I find more often than not I have to get them from amazon.com. Typically though they recommend once a year, actually they do tend to last more like a couple of years.

there are two reasons for this advice, cutters can be inadvertently damaged, and when they start wearing out, waiting for new ones can be a pain. Make sure you replace the full set.
Old 21st August 2017, 18:47   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

True confessions of a rookie (electric) shaver Part II
Guys 18 days on. Only 3 days left for the proverbial 3 week try and enjoy period advertised on Philips instruction booklet! My candid take:-
1. Electric is more fun. Like an 8 year old with a new toy I enjoy whirring it around my face endlessly
2. Electric takes more time
3. Oil works best for me. Dry I don't like though I am going it try it once more now that I have a more experienced hand
4. If a smooth shave is what you need then Mach 3 with a good lather will do a better job.
5. The electric doesn't get to some places like the stubble under the nostrils
6. I plan to now try gel (never ever used gel before even for stick shaves) to see if I like it better than oil.

I can now understand why some swear by electric shavers! After 40 years my shaving stick may get abandoned. The jury is still out.
Attached Thumbnails
Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-images.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2017, 09:56   #161
BANNED

Yesterday, i ordered a pre-electric fluid for the first time. I was not sure so am getting both a Williams and Tabac bottle. Will report back.
Old 24th August 2017, 22:36   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In which case Philips Series 9000 would be an ideal buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Also, get a shaving oil specially made for electric shavers, which makes dry shaving a bit more effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
I use the 9300 series from Philips for the last few years and will vouch for it. Overall I've used philips/ norelco units for over ten years now and their usual life is 5 to 7 years.
Quote:
You must stick with it for a month or six weeks, then you get used to it. Once you cross the initial hurdle life is very smooth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
@narayan try making pre shave oil by mixing 3 parts of castor oil and 1 part of olive oil. You can add other essential oils or tea tree oil with this. I use Johnson baby oil and it works well for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
1. Either wet or dry is okay. But i have found with many trials that just a wet shave(without gel or foam) is useless and much more messy.
Quote:
You can use it with shaving cream or foam or gel. And instead of your mach 3,use the electric shaver to shave.I found that nivea shave gel works well for my beard with electric shaver. I get almost the same result as I would get with mach 3.
Gentlemen, add in one more full convert to the world of electric shavers. Thank you for sharing your advice so cheerfully. After three weeks of experimenting with all sorts of combinations gel or oil works best for me and gives me a smooth shave. I love whirring the shavers around like a boy with a new toy. Wifey has agreed to make the oil for me as suggested by archat68.

One final question - so far I clean the Philips shaver (it has three circular whirring heads) in running water after removing the blade section in toto as one piece. Am I supposed to dismantle the three circular blade sections to clean it or is warm fast running water good enough on the combined piece okay. Once I dismantled it and it took my quite some effort to refix it with the right alignments. Thanks in advance for you advice.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 24th August 2017 at 22:38.
Old 25th August 2017, 11:57   #163
BHPian

Quote:
One final question - so far I clean the Philips shaver (it has three circular whirring heads) in running water after removing the blade section in toto as one piece. Am I supposed to dismantle the three circular blade sections to clean it or is warm fast running water good enough on the combined piece okay. Once I dismantled it and it took my quite some effort to refix it with the right alignments. Thanks in advance for you advice.
I too clean with running hot water and seems to be OK for me. Also, I use a shaving gel, so oil accumulation doesn't seem to be a problem. However, with time the shaving gel tends to leave white residue which I plan to clean with my ultrasonic cleaner.

I'm using my Norelco rotary 8950 shaver for the last 15 days and I'm quite pleased with it. Earlier I used a Panasonic Arc 4 foil type shaver. It gave a good shave but it used to leave the skin a bit irritated. Also shaving around the neck part was not so good. The present rotary is damn good. I'm able to get a very close shave with almost nil irritation which is confirmed by the after shave test. Also, the shaver is pretty silent compared to my Panasonic. I have also ordered a Williams Lectric Shave pre shave lotion. I'll post my experience with it when I get it. I'm using baby talc when I'm in hurry and doesn't need a very close shave.

BTW, try the shaving gel I think you'll love it.
Old 25th August 2017, 15:39   #164
BANNED

Quote:
Yesterday, i ordered a pre-electric fluid for the first time. I was not sure so am getting both a Williams and Tabac bottle. Will report back.
The stuff arrived yesterday. Now i will have to change my algorithm to ,wash face, apply pre shave and wait for it to dry. A bit tough to change old habits.
Old 25th August 2017, 16:42   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I have also ordered a Williams Lectric Shave pre shave lotion. I'll post my experience with it when I get it.
Google shows to variants of the product with a huge price difference.
https://in.carethy.net/beauty/williams/p-366589?r=8710908718083&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi43j7Z3y1 QIVBSNoCh2EgAniEAQYASABEgK8fvD_BwE
And
https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Willia...oginkenshoo-21

Hope you ordered the one shown on Amazon since the other doesn't look right. I bought it from the US for $5 and prefer it to the more expensive LAB Series oil that I had before.

Most Viewed