Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2018, 10:28   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Gentlemen,

Any tips for growing and maintaining a beard? I am in Phase-II of my life and have grown a beard to complement this. New stage of life - new looks. After 7 weeks of letting it grow it is now ready for a trim. Any tips on beard oil, combing and trimming. Thanks,

Narayan
Old 13th January 2020, 13:32   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I am looking for a good stubble trimmer. You know for that 5’o clock look all the time.

Any recommendations? 0.4mm at the shortest preferred.
Old 7th March 2020, 13:36   #183
BHPian

Year 2020, What are you electric guys using these days?

I have been divided over constantly having to go and buy razor blades and razors or to buy an electric shaver, and end this extra effort of going to the shop very often, its not cheap either.

So whats the best electric shaver in present times? I am sure I don't want a battery operated one, having enough trouble with the other trimmer I use once in 2 or 3 months needing to replace battery every time I use it. I need a wet shaver and it should have a trimmer for inaccessible areas.

Looks like its going to be a long learning curve, nothing like Gillette sensor excel IMHO for all your shaving and styling needs.
Old 7th March 2020, 14:54   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post

I have been divided over constantly having to go and buy razor blades and razors or to buy an electric shaver, and end this extra effort of going to the shop very often, its not cheap either.

So whats the best electric shaver in present times? I am sure I don't want a battery operated one, having enough trouble with the other trimmer I use once in 2 or 3 months needing to replace battery every time I use it. I need a wet shaver and it should have a trimmer for inaccessible areas.

Looks like its going to be a long learning curve, nothing like Gillette sensor excel IMHO for all your shaving and styling needs.
I use a Philipps Norelco Series 9000 three head shaver. It has served me well.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 15:31   #185
BHPian

I use Philips one blade. It's an electric trimmer with a blade (goes for 4months each blade), it gives very close trim so much so it gives a clean shave. It is water proff so i use it everyday during my hot shower. It's just a life changing experience for me! Must have problem!

You just have to glide the flat surface on the skin and it's magic. Leaves your skin soft. Initially i faced abit problem using it but once you get a hang it's the fastest.

Why I use a trimmer? Cause shaving with a raw blade ain't good for sensitive skin. Trimmer gives me no fear of acne. Just be gentle while using, don't press it too hard or else it irritates the skin.

You can also using shaving cream but I suggest using it in a hot shower for best results!
Attached Thumbnails
Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-images-20200307t152709.013.jpeg  

momsonlydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 19:40   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
I have been using a Braun series 9 for the past couple of years and it has been smooth It can be used both wet/dry. It is expensive but worth in the long run. Being a popular model, you can get replacement parts online and keep it going for a long time.

I don't prefer wet shaving cause it tends to leave a moldy smell in the shaver which is very difficult to get rid of.

I have experimented with various shave oils. The ones meant for electric shavers are thinner whereas even the most expensive regular oils tend to clog the shaver. I try to stock up on the electric shave oils when traveling abroad and resort to dry shaving when the stock runs out.
Recently picked up a Braun M90 for travel needs but after using the Series 9, I don't particularly enjoy using it.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 09:27   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I use Philips one blade. It's an electric trimmer with a blade (goes for 4months each blade), it gives very close trim so much so it gives a clean shave. It is water proff so i use it everyday during my hot shower. It's just a life changing experience for me! Must have problem!

!
Bang on. I got it after reading your review and used it this morning. Game changer stuff!

Give this man a cookie!

Last edited by Red Liner : 10th March 2020 at 09:33.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:32   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Bang on. I got it after reading your review and used it this morning. Game changer stuff!

Thank you!
Glad I helped you
Old 11th March 2020, 19:10   #189
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I got one. And quite frankly its a revolution in trimming. The blades are really smooth and give a plush cut. Thanks for the reco. Where will I get a replacement blade in few months?
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I use Philips one blade. It's an electric trimmer with a blade (goes for 4months each blade),e gentle while using, don't press it too hard or else it irritates the skin!
Attached Thumbnails
Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?-img_0966.jpg  

Old 11th March 2020, 19:23   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Ok, I got one. And quite frankly its a revolution in trimming. The blades are really smooth and give a plush cut. Thanks for the reco. Where will I get a replacement blade in few months?
Amazon India. Plenty available.
Old 11th March 2020, 23:20   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Give this man a cookie!
Is this for trimming beards and leaving a fashionable stubble or is this for a regular daily shave. Thanks.
Old 12th March 2020, 04:31   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Is this for trimming beards and leaving a fashionable stubble or is this for a regular daily shave. Thanks.
Regular every day shave. Works a treat. Also comes with 1, 3, and 5mm trimming combs. Hot shower shave without cream works great!

Props to momonlydriver for the tips!

Last edited by Red Liner : 12th March 2020 at 04:34.
Old 12th March 2020, 06:17   #193
BHPian

Just checked Amazon. 1400 for 2 blades isn't really cheap. What is Philips trying to do here? I don't think there is anything with this trimmer which can't be done with others. Or am I getting something wrong? 1400 will get you a new trimmer that will last several years.
Old 12th March 2020, 07:20   #194
Senior - BHPian

Well, the unit costs 1800 on Flipkart. Each blade is 400, thereabout. What you get is a really comfortable trim, as close to the skin as possible. So there is no irritation plus its so sharp and snappy that you just go 'wow' on first use. I've just used it dry for now, yet to use it in hot shower
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Just checked Amazon. 1400 for 2 blades isn't really cheap. What is Philips trying to do here? I don't think there is anything with this trimmer which can't be done with others. Or am I getting something wrong? 1400 will get you a new trimmer that will last several years.
Old 12th March 2020, 10:47   #195
BANNED

I have been 'electric' since 1973. The Philips/Norelco units need cutters every six months or so. Remember they are not available at Amazon.in but have to be procured from amazon.com. Models before my current 9xx series needed cutters only once in two years so so. I also have a Braun and may switch to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks