Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2020, 10:56   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Any recommendations for a trimmer not shaver that cuts really fine and preferably small(width of the blate) . I don't shave but a potent trimmer is a necessity.
Old 12th March 2020, 11:13   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Any recommendations for a trimmer not shaver that cuts really fine and preferably small(width of the blate) . I don't shave but a potent trimmer is a necessity.
What we posted above man... Its the bomb.
Old 12th March 2020, 11:16   #198
Senior - BHPian

I read that. It's a hybrid trimmer shaver kind of thing. I specifically need an electric trimmer. The cut I give my beard would not be possible with that thing.
Old 12th March 2020, 11:38   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I read that. It's a hybrid trimmer shaver kind of thing. I specifically need an electric trimmer. The cut I give my beard would not be possible with that thing.
Strange. It has 1mm, 3mm, and 5mm combs. Nay?
Old 12th March 2020, 12:02   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Philips has many in that category, check out 3000 series. I recently got one from a company called Lifelong during Amazon sale for quite low price. It is pretty basic and quality is nothing much to write about. Plus sides are quick charge, long battery life and micro usb charging. I use it for 1-2 mm cut once a week, works ok.
Old 12th March 2020, 13:18   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Strange. It has 1mm, 3mm, and 5mm combs. Nay?
I am more looking at. 3 to . 5 mm.

And more than the cut I wanted to say the shape is going to be hard to achieve with a manual blade.
Old 14th May 2020, 11:16   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

It's time to wake up this dormant thread.

OK, so with the nearly 2 month long lock down still ongoing, I've had to buy a set of Wahl hair clippers even a pair of barber scissors to maintain my hair which frankly looks awful as it grows longer.

I don't think I will be visiting a barber shop for at least another 3-4 months, especially during the rainy season, given my city Pune has the highest number of COVID-19 cases in Maharashtra after Mumbai.

So, there are a couple of things I need to ask you guys:

a) Which electric shaver do you recommend. I prefer a battery operated one as I believe using a mains powered shaver on a wet face is risky. I have a stock of Gillette Fusion Pro shaving blades but want to try electric razors.

b) Hair trimmer/shaver lube oil suggestions. I have purchased Wahl's lube oil but it's pretty expensive and the little vial that comes with these machines won't last too long.

Cheers!

PS - I read about using cooking oil (standard vegetable oil or olive oil, not the extra virgin variety) for this purpose in an emergency but I hesitate to use this stuff. Some recommend pure pharma grade mineral oil but don't know where to source it as yet. I believe Johnson's baby oil may meet this grade but I am not sure what the fragrance and sundry skin emollients will do to the clipper blades. Dull or blades which lack lubing can make it very uncomfortable to trim your hair

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th May 2020 at 11:27. Reason: added PS
Old 14th May 2020, 11:26   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
stuff
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4764993 (Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?)
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 11:39   #204
Senior - BHPian

One silly question - how is a hair clipper different from a beard trimmer ?

I have a philips beard trimmer, which I tried using for (head) hair trimming (and I was not happy with the results).

The shape of the comb attachment on the beard trimmer is different compared to the one for hair clipper.

Are some comb attachments available separately which can be used with beard trimmer for using it as a hair clipper ?

Rohan
Old 14th May 2020, 12:29   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
One silly question - how is a hair clipper different from a beard trimmer ?
I am new to this device so here's what I gathered in the short time I spent reading and subsequently ordering my clipper and trimmer.

The main difference is a trimmer is used for minor hair cutting jobs like for e.g. trimming your moustache, side-locks, beard and body hair while clippers (they operate on the same principle) are larger and built for heavy duty even professional use. Clippers can cut through thicker hair and have more attachment options.

Yes, comb attachments are available but they may be expensive and difficult to find. So it's best to buy a machine that comes with the attachments you need.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th May 2020 at 12:30.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 16:08   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
b) Hair trimmer/shaver lube oil suggestions. I have purchased Wahl's lube oil but it's pretty expensive and the little vial that comes with these machines won't last too long.
You don't have to be generous with the lube and can stretch the small bottle for years. A couple of drops are more than sufficient. And, you replace the blades/head ever year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Are some comb attachments available separately which can be used with beard trimmer for using it as a hair clipper ?
I don't think you can get comb attachment that fit unless your manufacturer makes the attachment for the particular model. So, it is a fat chance. You are better off buying a product that comes with all the attachments in the first place.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 01:35   #207
Senior - BHPian

Another +1 for the Philips Oneblade. Ive almost completed 2 years with mine now and am on the 3rd blade.
It's perfect for the level of cutting I want.

One important tip. Try and buy thr Face+Body version which has a Silver insert on the body because this version has a Li Ion battery. The standard black insert version has a NiMh battery which takes much longer to charge and also has the usual quirks of NiMh such as deteriorating battery life. Mine has come down from 8 shaves per charge to around 3 per charge in just under 2 years.
You have no idea how annoying it is to run out mid shave and then having to wait hours to finish or get out the razor to shave the full face
Mortis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 08:07   #208
Senior - BHPian

Any feedback on Hair clippers would be good. I have a Philips trimmer already, so the clipper is primarily to be used for home haircuts, mainly for my 7 year old son and probably for myself as well. I checked out Wahl, the cordless version seems very expensive at nearly 4K, whereas the wired version is nearly 50% cheaper.

Any Philips devices that you guys recommend?
Old 18th May 2020, 10:02   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Any feedback on Hair clippers would be good. I have a Philips trimmer already, so the clipper is primarily to be used for home haircuts, mainly for my 7 year old son and probably for myself as well. I checked out Wahl, the cordless version seems very expensive at nearly 4K, whereas the wired version is nearly 50% cheaper.

Any Philips devices that you guys recommend?
Is Wahl 9243-4724 the 2k model you are talking about? A fellow member had posted about it on the coronavirus thread.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this one since e commerce seems to be up and running in lockdown 4.0.
Old 18th May 2020, 11:00   #210
Senior - BHPian

I agree. It's an allrounder. But during lockdown I did not find a replacement blade at all. Just got one at FK for 850 bucks. Next time Ill buy a new unit paying 1,650, Though I'm still getting 8 shaves to the charge. I'm so impressed with the fella. Is the replacement blade as good as the first one? Because the blade that came with the Mach3 Razor used to be really good, compared to the cartridge I would buy later on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Another +1 for the Philips Oneblade. Ive almost completed 2 years with mine now and am on the 3rd blade. It's perfect for the level of cutting I want. Can you post a pic of the one with the silver insert plz?

Last edited by Sebring : 18th May 2020 at 11:28.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks