Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Bangalore the best Indian city to live in?
Agree 34 31.78%
Disagree 61 57.01%
Prefer not to comment 12 11.21%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 13:09   #31
BHPian

who voted what?

Bangalore the best? - who in the blazes voted?.. and who in god's name ever thought of undertaking that study and publishing that moronic result?.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

As things stand today, I would love to live in Mysore. But in Bangalore? No way. If it can go back 20 years in time, then YES.
Old 30th April 2009, 14:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

The panel who did the survey might have stayed at Leela and decided the ranking ! They have no clue whats just infront of Leela and around Leela ! (No pun intended). I loved this city back in 1993, 'those were the best days of my life' (No theft from Bryan Adams). It was heaven to be standing at the side rails of Brigade road anytime of the day or nite with lot of 'angels' moving around in plenty. It was heaven to have a "lime juice" from Shangrilla Brigade road with some fried rice. It was a dream to laze around cubbon park with lots of colourful 'butterflies' all over the place. I have reached from south to north in 15 mts flat many times.

Oh sorry, I am aged, so all these change of feelings might be due to that. Amen.

Last edited by shajufx : 30th April 2009 at 14:10.
Old 30th April 2009, 14:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

I have the detailed the report with me and have gone through it fully.

I would agree with the results as long as they are only comparing it with other metros in India. I have lived in most of them for more than a year except Kolkatta and I can say for sure that Bangalore is the better among them, especially considering the criteria on which they rate the cities.

But then, was it better 10,15,20 years back is a different topic. Its more to do with the human mentality of how they generally tend to like anything old (especially the times when they were in their teens or early twenties) which are typically draped in colorful memories. I am in my forties and I used to feel the same when I listen to the present day music or watch new movies or even watch my daughter's interests and her actitivites. I would have always rated Ilaiyaraja much ahead of AR Rahman. But then who would agree to that now?

I have been in Bangalore in late 80s and found it to be a cool and clean city. But then there were issues with language, inefficient bus service, etc things which have improved a lot now. Of course other things like weather and traffic has worsened. But which metro city dont have these problems? Nobody expect a city like Bangalore to grow/shrink organically like western cities, do you? Look at the story of Vienna, which is rated the best city in the world to live in the same survey. It was a much bigger city in terms of population in early 1900s than it is now. Dont you think such stability will give a lot of options for city administrators to make the city better and better every year? Do we have any such luxury in India? Bangalore would have had about one lac people during that time (pure guess) and now we have about 80 lacs. Same is the story with most of the big cities in India. I am not saying that there are no cities which have grown and still remained in the top ranks. But then they are either large city states like Singapore, Hong Kong or cities in some rich industrialized countries. In general, most of the top cities listed in that survey are based in Europe and have very long history of civilization, governance, not participated in wars, fairly homogeneous and stable population, etc...

So lets just not blame the administrators or people for the problems we face. Take it as a phase of development and hope that things will be more stable going forward.
Old 30th April 2009, 14:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'd have agreed if i were 15 years back, possibly even more

+1 to that . The survey is no where near the reality.
Old 30th April 2009, 14:25   #36
BHPian

If question is Top costliest city.... then I agree

If question is Top costliest city.... then I agree
Old 30th April 2009, 14:39   #37
BHPian

Given the cities to which it is compared in the survey, I would agree with the results. No point in talking about history as that is not one of the criteria for this survey. Right now Bangalore is the best city for employment opportunities, weather, cosmopolitan nature, cost of living and fairly decent infrastructure for what has been achieved in such short time. One should also realize that Bangalore is one of the fastest growing city as well, so naturally supporting developments do fall behind and will take time to catch up. One grave danger however I foresee in Bangalore is availability of drinking water. Hope government does take immediate action to make sure that there is a clear plan to address this issue.

Outside of the cities considered, I can easily argue that my hometown is always better, etc. But who cares...

Last edited by appuchan : 30th April 2009 at 14:41.
Old 30th April 2009, 14:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
As things stand today, I would love to live in Mysore. But in Bangalore? No way. If it can go back 20 years in time, then YES.
Are u in Pune as of now? Could you compare Pune to Banglore in terms of weather and traffic?
Old 30th April 2009, 16:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

While I would not live anywhere else, its an unnecessary claim. Chandigarh is way easier to live in, better planned for citizens with a concept of public/private spaces and facilities for commuters/pedestrians and people from all walks of life. Jamshedpur was sooo easy and with a great quality of life. Its a toughie.

Bangalore does "corrupt" one with the weather and the coffee, and despite its ills one loves the place.

Its also a little telling Bangalore is at 142!
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for voting and making it more miserable. Obviously people will read and try to shift here so =more traffic.
i every day see so many new apartments being constructed but are people really filling them up or people just jumping from one apartment to another
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Language Problem is an issue for many when migrating to another city,another state.
There are cultural differences in Every Indian city.Only Bombay(Or Is it?) and Bangalore are truely cosmopolitan and got the heart to accomodate every ethnic community living there.I mean ,where else apart from Bangalore than you think -can talk your language - Hindi or Tamil or Telegu or Marathi,the natives are ready to communicate.
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Language Problem is an issue for many when migrating to another city,another state.
There are cultural differences in Every Indian city.Only Bombay(Or Is it?) and Bangalore are truely cosmopolitan and got the heart to accomodate every ethnic community living there.I mean ,where else apart from Bangalore than you think -can talk your language - Hindi or Tamil or Telegu or Marathi,the natives are ready to communicate.
I agree with mumbai part, but I have heard a lot of horror stories about people being treated rudely/badly when not speaking kannada.
In fact my uncle was hit on the head by a cabbie when speaking in tamil.
no offense - just speculating.

cheers
Old 3rd May 2009, 02:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

@anekho:I hope those are rare cases.(hoping!).there are prejudices and regionalism and everyone knows that.

Last edited by deepclutch : 3rd May 2009 at 02:57.
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@anekho:I hope those are rare cases.(hoping!).there are prejudices and regionalism and everyone knows that.
agree with this also dude. heard many people say they feel arrogance when speaking kannada in chennai.

cheers
Old 13th May 2009, 00:49   #45
BHPian

True, my wife is here in Bangalore for the last three years, she does not know a single word in Kannada. I am permanently here for the last one year, I am much comfortable with English, Hindi and Malayalam.

Quote:
Bangalore are truely cosmopolitan and got the heart to accomodate every ethnic community living there.I mean ,where else apart from Bangalore than you think -can talk your language - Hindi or Tamil or Telegu or Marathi,the natives are ready to communicate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks