Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Bangalore the best Indian city to live in?
Agree 34 31.78%
Disagree 61 57.01%
Prefer not to comment 12 11.21%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2009, 10:08   #61
Senior - BHPian

I have come across loads if instances where i was thought as a outsider, before even i open my mouth people tried to communicate in broken Hindi and this itself shows how accommodative people over here are here.

I know many who prefer Bangalore for the same reason, if i would have to relocate to any other state am sure i would make myself aware of the local language...

Samurai the local transport has improved a lot over the years am not sure how good it is when compared to other cities but today i can think of traveling in BMTC, for ex today one can find buses plying from Yelahanka to Banashankari on a regular basis which was unthinkable few years back...

Last edited by lohithrao : 17th May 2009 at 10:21.
Old 17th May 2009, 11:07   #62
Senior - BHPian

Dont remember the movie, but the dialogue
"you are ok when success comes to famous people (in this context cities outside India) like movie stars, sport stars. But when it is one of your own, you dont accept it or jealous", something like this.

Come on guys, there are lot of factors and voting brings out only relative goodness not something absolute.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

After having lived in BLR, all I can say about it is, if you are talking about the weather, this is the city to be in. When it comes to infrastructure and planning; something is lacking there. Someone, I got this feeling that this city and the people didn't welcome the "outsiders"

Given an opportunity, would I relocate back to BLR?

Yes, if I don't have to interact with the newspaper folks, the milkmen, the cable guys, and every tom,d**k and harry on the road and in office!
Old 17th May 2009, 23:55   #64
Senior - BHPian

I have been here over 3 years and the only ppl I hate are the auto guys. Else, I love this place. The people are very nice, yes they feel that they could have done better but alll small town ppl feel the same.
I think this is an awesome place.
Old 18th May 2009, 00:23   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
This is the best city as per me , Just like all others differ from their dislike about the city,these are my views, and as a TRUE Banglorean and i stand by the city i live.
+1 to that buddy. I am sure with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am sure you are kidding about this one. If this was true, there is no need to build the metro.
Hey Sharath,
I very much agree with Pavan here. Seriously, i think Bangalore has one of the best public transports. The frequency of the buses have increased and there are a wide variety of options you can choose from (Normal buses to volvo buses). Infact a lot of office goers have started to switch to volvo buses instead of cars.
I kind of agree that there are some auto drivers who are rude to people.
Maybe off topic, but the next time you plan to take a rick and you are like 4 people or if it is too late or if the auto driver is demanding more than the normal fare, maybe you could try Meru. It isn't very expensive and provide excellent service.
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 18th May 2009 at 00:26.
Old 18th May 2009, 00:40   #66
BHPian

True, Bangalore is the only city in India which can somewhat keep up with International standards when it comes to public transport. No other city in India comes close to Bangalore with regards to the volvo services. We have now about 350 vajras on the road plus more coming. Even the basic buses now have Air suspension and LED displays. And they are kept in good condition too. BMTC is one of the major public sector transport corporations which is making profits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Seriously, i think Bangalore has one of the best public transports. The frequency of the buses have increased and there are a wide variety of options you can choose from (Normal buses to volvo buses). Infact a lot of office goers have started to switch to volvo buses instead of cars.
Coming to taxi services too, Banglaore is the front runner city in India, having the modern taxi fleet.

I always use the taxi services of MERU or Easycabs in Bangalore. MERU is now having close to 1200 cabs. Earlier there were close to 1000 logans for MERU and Easycabs combined with 100 more for KSTDC CABS. Now Indigo Marinas are also pressed in to service, mostly for city service rather than BIAL Services. Last time I was in a MERU Indigo Marina, had a chat with the driver, he told that about 700 Marinas have been pressed in to service.

Quote:
maybe you could try Meru. It isn't very expensive and provide excellent service.
Cheers,
Deepak
Coming to weather, I have been hearing remarks everywhere that Bangalore is also getting hotter in summer. Tell me, in which other metro, there is heavy showers during summer?. Today also there was heavy shower and gusty winds. When the temperature goes up, rain comes. Which other Metro in India has a summer night temperature which never goes above 23 degrees celcius?. Mostly it ranges between 21-22 degrees.

Last edited by sudheeshnairs : 18th May 2009 at 00:46.
Old 18th May 2009, 08:58   #67
Team-BHP Support

All my public transport experience is from the 90s and before. Yes, I've heard it has improved a lot now. In that case, why are they destroying all the nice places in Bangalore in the name of Metro?
Old 18th May 2009, 09:08   #68
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Bangalore is a great city - I certainly prefer living here to elsewhere in India.
The people are mild mannered and certainly not as crude as the chaps you see elsewhere.
The weather and greenery contribute a lot to quality of life.
Overall it is a clean city.

Yes, there are certain things which can be improved like roads, street lights, drainage and general safety etc.

But lets remember that there has been a huge influx of immigrants into Bangalore, who have in a sense "made" the city. Unfortunately, the city was only designed as a Cantonment and to accommodate a fraction of its current population in comfort. With this in mind, infrastructure needs to develop at a much faster pace than it is currently.

Having said all this, yes, the Volvo buses and Big10 buses etc, contribute a lot to easing the congestion. If the authorities would take a leaf out of the Chennai book, they would easily be able to speed up all infrastructure work if they simply changed the work timings and got all these huge construction jobs done at Night, rather than during the day.

Less inconvenience, faster pace and focussed work, will surely obtain first class, speedy results!
Old 18th May 2009, 11:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
All my public transport experience is from the 90s and before. Yes, I've heard it has improved a lot now. In that case, why are they destroying all the nice places in Bangalore in the name of Metro?
Dear Sharath,
It isn't just with metro Sharath. For this Bangalore Mysore state highway as an example, they fell god knows how many trees. For building a flyover, they chop off trees. To handle the growth in population of the city, i guess, they have to do this. Anyway, i hope, metro works and the traffic situation in B'lore improves.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 18th May 2009, 14:20   #70
BHPian

There is no such thing as 'the best city to live in.'
Whats best for me may not be the best for...say even my wife!

I love Bangalore for the memories associated with it, I love Allahabad for different reasons, I love Delhi for its extreme weather and food, I love Kannur (though not a city in the strict sense) for it being my home town. Ask me to pick the best out of all these....I will not have an answer.
I wonder what purpose these surveys serve - increase real estate prices, boost tourism, wonder what!
Old 18th May 2009, 14:25   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Seriously, i think Bangalore has one of the best public transports.
Until you check those in Chennai. I said chennai, because I have been living there since birth. In bangy I am just less than 4 years.

May be other cities has better transport. But if you ask me between these 2 cities where I live/lived, its definitely Chennai. Bangalore is nowhere near.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:48   #72
BHPian

Which city is Bangalore.....i think its Bengaluru you guys are talking about!!
Old 18th May 2009, 16:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Which city is Bangalore.....i think its Bengaluru you guys are talking about!!
We are talking about the city which is mentioned in your location
Old 18th May 2009, 17:10   #74
BHPian

Moved from Chennai, 3 years ago and I find Bangalore much much better than Chennai.

Pros:
(a) Public transportation sure is better than Chennai.
(b) Weather is awesome.

Cons:
(a) The infrastructure, especially bridges and under-passes.

Having learnt about the city, culture and the language to an extent, I am quite happy staying here for as long as I could.
Old 18th May 2009, 17:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Until you check those in Chennai. I said chennai, because I have been living there since birth. In bangy I am just less than 4 years.

May be other cities has better transport. But if you ask me between these 2 cities where I live/lived, its definitely Chennai. Bangalore is nowhere near.
Language can be a serious problem in Chennai. And the less one speaks about its autos the better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks