Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 10:13   #1
BHPian

Engineering Studies: Discuss What is What and Where !

There's a load of B.E courses available to the young now, and with so many choices you are left confused. To help us and Kids make an informed decision let us please discuss What is What and Where please.

1. What Course - what subjects
2. What Career - how luring
3. Where to study - which colleges offer the courses.

Why this discussion because, not all websites of colleges say what career lies ahead of doing a certain course, and about the subjects as well. So people who have concrete knowledge about a certain course and career discussing about it would be a better idea.

There are some not so popular courses [unlike B.E Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Computer Science, IT] like B.E Mining, Geo-Informatics, Leather Technology etc. So the thinner streams are to be discussed more in this thread, wont mind the regular streams being added here as for information either.

Please be serious, and if anyone knows about any B.E stream that falls under the "not-so-popular" category, add your thoughts here!

Last edited by MillionSwords : 30th April 2009 at 10:16.
Old 6th September 2009, 21:25   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
There's a load of B.E courses available to the young now, and with so many choices you are left confused.
===================
B.E in IT is becoming a little unpopular due to the slump in the IT sector. I guess B.E in chemical would fall in the not so popular category even though its job prospects are very bright. The best institute for B.E in chemical if I am not mistaken is UDCT which is supposed to be better than IITs
Old 6th September 2009, 22:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

My inputs:

Generally this information is needed by a student who is currently in class XI or XII and his parents. I suggest that the parents and student consider following aspects prior to choosing a particular Engineering Stream

1. By the time the student completes engineering it would be 4 or 6 years hence

2. Parents and Students need to understand / anticipate the "Employment opportunities" and "Employ-ability" during that period. I know it is difficult to anticipate the future, but consulting as many people who are from the industry and academia would help in understanding the trends apart from secondary or internet based research.

3. Every Student has a particular interest/liking and/or aptitude for a set of subjects. Student need to choose his area of interest for his higher studies. this will help in aligning the oneself for the future as well as improving the chances of success. Some times it happens that the preferred courses are not available and parents or others force the student to opt for a different course which may not be to one's liking. This might result in loss of time, money, energy, motivation etc.

4. Again choice of institution/university or college is important. availability of good teachers, lab and library facilities, availability of workshops, projects, consulting opportunities, record of past students etc decides the reputation of an institution.
I would suggest not to go for an institution which lacks basic infrastructure needed for an engineering studies, because students who study in such institute does not get the necessary knowledge, hands of practice, project experience etc.

5. Some popular magazines these days rate the top engineering and business schools in the country. one can refer to these reports, but also talk to past students whose views need to be considered prior to the decision. also visit to the institute and experiencing the atmosphere, facilities and also talking to the staff would help gaining better understanding of the institute.

6. Value of an Bachelore's degree in engineering is fast diminishing. A decade ago a diploma was also very valuable. 4-6 years hence, the value of B.E degree would be lesser than what it is today, unless the course ware has kept pace with the technology evolution, which i think in India a bit slower. Hence for improving the success rates and/or employability, there are several options

a. going for a master's degree, followed by a doctoral studies
b. going for a more relvent course to the industry sector viz. Infrastructre, Energy, Bio-Technology, Robotics, Semiconductors/Nano technology, Radio Engineering, Ambience engineering, Enviornmental engineering etc, etc
c. being an excellent student with good theoritical and practical knowledge of the course (which ever one chooses) and also develop the communication, organizing, planning and execution skills.

7. if going for a master's degree, then choosing the bachelore's courseware / stream becomes more important and it would cut one off the other options. more over masters degree would mean another 2 years of study, hence staying relevent 8 years hence is very important.

8. Parents exposure to the industry (national/international) is key as they are the key influencers and/or sponsors of the child's education. hence they should be investing more time, energy to do their study, research (together with the student) so that the decision is not regretted later on.

i know i might be bit off topic here, but i belive this is more important than knowing details of the course ware or institutes.

all the best

Last edited by StarVegabond : 6th September 2009 at 22:22.

Most Viewed