Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2017, 17:37   #121
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Airtel cheats me on international data pack

If I have excess money in my account, i.e. credit balance, what happens to that if I port my number or convert from postpaid to prepaid? Any clues?

I have not got a satisfactory answer yet from the customer care regarding this.
Old 26th October 2017, 18:26   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
If I have excess money in my account, i.e. credit balance, what happens to that if I port my number or convert from postpaid to prepaid? Any clues?

Whatever is remaining goes waste, if you port across operators. In terms of postpaid to prepaid, im not sure since I have never had excess credit.
Old 26th October 2017, 20:01   #123
BHPian

Airtel called back after escalating to appellate.kk. They also sent me an email stating they can't reverse the charges.

They are making two claims,

1. They activated the service on 24th Sep.

My response to them was : I requested for the period 22nd Sep to 2nd Oct and data did not work until the end of my trip. Also I got an email from Airtel on 26th Sep stating they have trouble activating the data pack on my number. So they are clearly lying.

2. I made a call to India on 24th Sep.

My response to them was : The only call I made was to Airtel customer support for resolution of an issue they created. Airtel can't be penalizing me for calling their customer support. I have proof for this in my detailed bill.

The tussle is on
Old 27th October 2017, 08:44   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I guess the service seems to be inconsistent. I doubt there would be any utility service provider who would get good feedback from all their users !
Possibly but I had been with Airtel for 6 years before I switched to another provider and the only reason was deteriorating service from them. Also I am not sure about your usage but if you have a good amount being generated for them in billing they will be good to you as you would be a valuable customer for them
Old 27th October 2017, 10:28   #125
BHPian

Re: The Airtel Thread

Registered a complain in http://consumerhelpline.gov.in as Airtel is refusing to revoke the charges. Is this any useful?

Also the Jio retailer told me I have to convert my postpaid to prepaid at Airtel and after that portability would be much easier. Otherwise Airtel might delay the process.
To convert the prepaid I will have to clear all dues and visit Airtel store multiple times I guess.
Old 27th October 2017, 10:51   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

Usually you will not get anything back. If porting, better to keep some excess balance for few days between the request is made and actual porting happens.

If post paid to prepaid it differs with the operator. Airtel did not bother. Vodafone sent me a cheque for Rs.85 after one month of migration from postpaid to prepaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeru27 View Post
These days, even their "fastest netorkw" 4g is slower than their earlier 3g speeds. not to mention frequent no service error. The Airtel tech guy who visited my home to assess the signal problem agreed that the signal is low ( this after using airtel for over 5 years with excellent network and great internet speeds on 3g) and that he can only escalate the issue to the technical department. All sorts of issues have cropped up after upgradation to 4g sim .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Airtel is piss poor almost everywhere in Bangalore, I commute across town five days a week and it's impossible to hold a phone conversation beyond a minute or two tops while on the move, plus the data coverage is slow and unstable most of the day. 4G, you say? Sure!
I do use airtel extensively, voice calls no issue so far in past 1 year. Prior to that on changing over to 4g sim myself and my wife had trouble in holding on the the mobile network. I forgot the exact steps taken by airtel. But I do remember visiting their store 2-3 times and changed the 4g sim 3 times for both the connections. Post the changeover we should ask the store manager to activate 4g for our sim for which the manager has to do some logging or mail request in their console. Bingo it works well after that. No trouble since then for 11 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Here is the ordeal.

I submitted an international roaming and data pack activation request for my Airtel post paid number on 22nd Sep 2017. Prior to activation using the Airtel app, I called up customer service twice to ensure they will take request from the app and lead time of around 12 hours is sufficient.
I also received SMS confirmation that the roaming and data pack is activated.

My biggest frustration is that they put me in extreme discomfort while at a foreign country. I had to make alternate arrangements for data while I was abroad. In that process I had to spend another 4000 rupees.

What options do I have to dispute with Airtel? Has anyone been through this before?
Unless the company pays for please do not take any postpaid connection from any operator. All those morons know they have you on their leash once we are on post paid. Prepaid is the way to go.
Recently my dad went along on a business trip to malaysia, airtel prepaid 1199 pack was activated- he had unlimited incoming, 250minutes local and international outgoing and 3GB data for 10days. It was just like he is at home for those few days.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th October 2017 at 12:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 27th October 2017, 23:15   #127
BHPian

Update:Airtel cheats me on international data pack (Resolved)

Airtel revoked all the charges associated with International roaming pack. It took multiple phone calls and persistence from my side.

It was not about the money, but I wanted to let Airtel know there is something called business ethics and conduct. Initially they were not even apologetic and rejected all my claims.
I gathered all the proofs and insisted that I won't give up until someone who has the power to reverse the situation talks to me. Finally one of their seniors from appellate called and I was able to reason with him. I have been a customer to Airtel for over 10 years and have paid many lakhs as bills for mobile, broadband, DTH and 4g data connections.

This is not the Airtel I knew. I have lost all the respect and faith in this company.

I would like to thank all forum members for their suggestions and support.

Last edited by sj_koova : 27th October 2017 at 23:16. Reason: Wanted to add a line.
Old 28th October 2017, 01:06   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....(Resolved)
Congratulations on sticking it out and getting it resolved

Quote:
.....This is not the Airtel I knew. I have lost all the respect and faith in this company.

I would like to thank all forum members for their suggestions and support.
While you're free to make your own decisions about who gets your money, I would suggest you don't take it personally.

Most businesses have no sense of true customer service left, and whatever service one gets these days is a direct function of whether the person who handles you is competent/ethical personally and empowered to make customer retention decisions professionally. Customers are just statistics on charts in corporate presentations now for most organisations. ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) is king in telecom, and I'm willing to bet the resolution you got was in part due to your history with them.

Treat them the way they treat you, do what gets you the best bang for your buck, but don't take it personally. It's just a phone connection.
Old 28th October 2017, 14:29   #129
Senior - BHPian

I have my Airtel connection for close to 14 years now and on international roaming.

Have had multiple issues with billing where disputed charges were reversed when raised, with few needing support from their appellant authority.

The most recent was close to 7,000 INR which was due to me activating call forwards. Did not know that initially and wrote to them asking for reversal. Got it without needing to escalate.

Post reversal, they came back asking me to deactivate the international roaming and the charges were due to that. Perfectly a valid situation for them to turn down my request.

Might be due to revenue I have generated so far, as Chetan said above.

Also, i think for those above 12+ years, there is a priority support system. Was told so; though not sure.
Old 28th October 2017, 17:35   #130
BHPian

Airtel sure does have a way of slipping in charges as maybe they feel if you are a international roaming customer, you may be sleeping as well. Saw INR 650 added to my bill this month. On checking at their store, was advised it was for the data pack. Politely instructed them to reverse the charge as had never opted for any data pack except for international roaming as the packs available were not suitable. If I remember well, there were some options for one day, five days and a longer period; but since my stay would have been only for two days in one country and transit through another never opted for any. Was dependent on the WiFI at hotel and office premises. Let's see if they reverse, or would need to follow up.
Old 29th October 2017, 19:37   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Facing the terrible network of Airtel in GGN and Delhi, I am thinking of switching operators. But in a dilemma as to pick which one? Are Jio voice calls stable now?
Old 5th November 2017, 11:23   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Are Jio voice calls stable now?
Very stable. None of the earlier issues are present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Unless the company pays for please do not take any postpaid connection from any operator.
Unfortunately , for travel bugs like me, who travel to J&K at least once a year and maybe to places like Arunachal in the future, a postpaid connection is a necessity unless I want to turn my phone into a brick.

Knowing too well about Airtel 's bill fraud, I have stuck to BSNL postpaid for the reasonable charges and good voice network. Now, planning to shift to Jio considering it works on a subscription basis and the bill can't be inflated.
Quote:
Update:Airtel cheats me on international data pack (Resolved)

This is not the Airtel I knew. I have lost all the respect and faith in this company.
My dad has had an Airtel postpaid connection for over 14+ years and bill frauds were always the way of life. Always used to bill us 1000 plus regardless of usage.

Another issue with postpaid connections with the exception of BSNL is that they make you run from pillar to post multiple times if you want to cancel your connection or convert it to prepaid.
Old 9th November 2017, 20:16   #133
Team-BHP Support

Airtel never ceases to be sneaky.

After one updates the MyAirtel app, the launch screen has an innocuous looking checkbox that says 'Upgrade or Create my Airtel Payments Bank Wallet using existing Airtel mobile KYC'.

Not saying it's their fault customers don't read stuff before clicking next, but it's a classic underhanded tactic nonetheless, esp. given the e-wallet has nothing to do with a customer's telecom account.
Old 28th March 2018, 11:20   #134
BHPian

Airtel is rejecting MNP requests

Hi. Wanted to check if there are others who are facing a similar issue.

I raised am MNP request with Airtel to move away from Airtel to Jio. At the time of raising this request with Jio, the person on the counter at Reliance warned me that Airtel is rejecting MNP requests on frivolous grounds. I still went ahead and raised the request for a new Jio connection. I was told that the Airtel connection should get disconnected within 5 days.

Since the connection was still active after five days, I called up Airtel customer care and I was told that the request was rejected as the UPC provided by Airtel did not match the UPC put in by Jio. This was odd since I had personally checked the number.

Anyways, I went ahead and raised a new request with Jio and this time I took a photo of the screen where the UPC was entered by Jio. I verified, re-verified and then again verified that the UPC entered is correct.

I called up Airtel again after five days and yet again I was told that the MNP request is rejected. The reason cited yet again was "The UPC provided by Jio did not match the UPC provided by Airtel". I told them that this time I have taken a photo of the screen and there was no mismatch at all. Still the service representative kept the same line of defense that they don't have the details. I then asked to connected to the supervisor. As expected I was kept on hold for a really long time and then this supervisor comes on the line and continues the same line of defense. I asked to connected to the team who rejected this request and I was told that the call center is not connected to this team (??).

Now I am determined to take this fight with Airtel as I find this bad business practice and in poor taste for a reputed organisation as Airtel. I want to get this number ported to Jio, come what may.

Has anyone faced this with Airtel before? Any tips of how I can complain higher within Airtel?
Old 28th March 2018, 12:20   #135
Team-BHP Support

You could write to the Airtel nodal officer and/or to TRAI appellate officer for your circle.

Most Viewed