Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 16:58   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Hey, don't say that! There are four types of people in the world: Indians, Chinkis (consisting of Korea, Japan, China, Singapore, Indonesia....everything east of India except Australia), Negros (not to offend anyone, but most Indians are still unfamiliar with the politically correct word) and Foreigners (comprising of any white person, irrespective of whether he is from Egypt or Iceland).
Actually the proper categories are:
  • Caucasian (Indians fall into this category, surprising)
  • Negroid (Afro)
  • Mongoloid (Orientals)
  • Aborigine (native Australians)
Old 5th May 2009, 17:28   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually the proper categories are:
  • Caucasian (Indians fall into this category, surprising)
  • Negroid (Afro)
  • Mongoloid (Orientals)
  • Aborigine (native Australians)
I was only kidding. Was pointing out the four types of people according to Indians.
Old 5th May 2009, 17:37   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
The most common question/situation I have come across is:

Person: So where are you from?
Me: India.
Person: Wow, you speak English pretty well.
Me: Thank you. So do you.
A little varied version with my friend in US.

Person: You are from India. But I guess you are in US for long.
Friend: No, this is my first visit.
P: But you speak english pretty well.
F: You know there is a small island nation in Europe and you can find plenty of people who never visited US but speaks english well.
Old 7th May 2009, 11:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Guys some of the posts here are amusing , Why exactly Indians should duck when foreigners find monkeys of Elephant in city amazing. I was equally bemused and took photographs of Geese roaming freely in Suburbia of Chicago , Well I first thought they are black ducks. Ppl there found it amusing seeing me click pics.

In Korea and Japan going to a food market is just like visiting a deep sea aquarium you can watch live Octopus , Giant crabs and various deep sea fish in huge aquariums in Food sections of supermarkets and also in Restaurants.

Elephants , Monkey , Camels are surely exotic.

It is important to understand the intention behind such questions at times they are in a tone to poke fun at us and instead of defending people can be silenced if you know a bit about oddities in thier lifestyle.

Whenever some westerner asks me about dogs and cattle on street I gladly tell with great enthusiasm how much men and animals can coexist and also ask back some questions on their traditions such as eating horse meat in Austria / Germany ( to Germans) , or about french tradition of keeping some exotic fish in freezer to take out maggots before cooking , Or about the way various kinds of cheese are made ( This can be your best shot to deal with such situations ) Koreans can be silenced with dog meat question and japanses with whales.

Swine flue can be the latest tools I guess , Ask such thing and tables will surely be turned.

Only problem is with Chinese from mainland who don't have much exposure to sensibilities of the outsiders and don't think there can be anything add about thier food and lifestyle but feel free to ask a lot of poking questions.

After such friendly conversations it is always good to offer showing some real tigers in some of the nearby wild life sanctuaries here and end on amiable note.

Last edited by amitk26 : 7th May 2009 at 11:55.
Old 8th May 2009, 19:24   #50
BHPian

I think in the whole world, the British people are most aware of India (which is not unusual at all). Some of them can even speak little bit of Hindi!
The most ignorant group about India is 2nd generation Indians (be it in UK, USA or anywhere).
Old 9th May 2009, 07:51   #51
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
The most ignorant group about India is 2nd generation Indians (be it in UK, USA or anywhere).
Couldn't agree with you more!

Their opinion of India is their parents who themselves are mostly outdated! [they are still stuch in the date they left india].

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks