Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2009, 23:36   #16
BHPian

There are many types & sub types of Influenza Virus & they have different virulance & pathogenicity. Also these viruses have the ability to mutate etc - so vaccinations can/t be a permanent solution as on this date. Inflenza Pandemics have occured earlier too and if the death rates are to be believed ewe need to prevent the spread of the present outbreak by all means.
TAMIFLU under the present scenario is a life saving drug and SHOULD NEVER BE MISUSED. GOI HAVE BANNED THE SALE OF THIS DRUG IN THE OPEN MARKET.
So much said, there is nothing to be alarmed at present and the situation is very much within the control of the authorities. Just take all precautions and be happy.
Old 17th May 2009, 12:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Reported In India

First case of Swine Flu in India reported at Hyderabad, patient has been admitted and isolated in Chest Hospital. Saw this flash news in Headlines Today just now.
Old 13th June 2009, 12:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

A Family of 5 have been suspected to have carried over the H1B1 to Bangalore.
This is very upsetting considering my wife is in New Jersey, the same place where
the family have just arrived from.
Old 22nd June 2009, 23:47   #19
BHPian

Swine flu???

I am planning for my trip to swiss in Aug 09, but came to know that swiss is also affected by swine flu and govt is requesting to avoid travel to affected countries.

Have anyone recently travelled to swiss recently and is the visa available?

Is it advisable to travel?

Thanks
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panks15 View Post
I am planning for my trip to swiss in Aug 09, but came to know that swiss is also affected by swine flu and govt is requesting to avoid travel to affected countries.

Have anyone recently travelled to swiss recently and is the visa available?

Is it advisable to travel?

Thanks
Do not know about Switzerland but I am in Amsterdam ( same visa anyway) and reached herr day before yesterday

Actually you can travel but take some precautions.

1. Avoid Shaking hands with people and maintain an arms distance.
2. Carry a hand sanitizer ( Sterlium is a good brand) in 100 ML pack in your pocker ( more then 100 ML will be confiscated by security) also remember that bottle is not bigger then 100 ML ( volume of bottle matters so a 200 ML bottle half filled is not acceptible to airport security staff world wide).
3. Sanitize your hands after toucing any surface ( Door handles , toilet seat, hand rail etc.)
4. Do not touch your face , nose and mouth with unsanitized hands. THis is difficult so start practicing.
Remember H1N1 ( swine flue) is respiratory tract infection.
5. Carry few surgical masks and cover your mouth and nose with them during travel . Do not bother how funny you will look or others are not wearing you need to protect yourself and people around you.

If you develop symptomes do not hesitate to getyour self screened H1N1 is fully curable.

My personal observation during SARS ( 2003) and Bird flue scare lots of westernors were covering themselves with masks as the hot spot was Asia.
But this time around the source is nearer to them so they are less scared and not taking enough protection but that should not mean that we should follow them and lower our guard
Old 24th June 2009, 01:36   #21
Max
BHPian

i too was planning to visit usa in july but now thinking about canceling my trip. what you guys think, should i still go?

i must say trip is not very important.
Old 30th June 2009, 10:35   #22
BHPian

Swine Flu-Symptoms & Preventive Measures

Got this mail from my HR team. Thought of sharing with you all bcoz "Prevention is better than cure". Take care

What is swine flu?
Swine flu is a respiratory disease, caused by H1N1 strain of influenza type A virus which used to infect pigs only till recent past but nowadays manifests in humans also.

What are the symptoms of swine flu?
The symptoms are fever, fatigue, and body ache, loss of appetite, cough and sore throat. Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with swine flu.

How does swine flu spread?
Spread of this disease occurs in the same way seasonal flu spreads. Viruses spread trough coughing or sneezing of people with influenza.
While touching something with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose like doorknobs, telephones, water tap etc.
Infected people may infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 7 or more days after becoming sick. That means that you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick.

How is swine flu diagnosed?
Generally nasal & throat swab are the standard method to confirm diagnosis.

What are the treatment options for swine flu?
Antiviral drugs work best if started soon after getting sick (within 2 days of symptoms). They can make illness milder and gives faster relief from symptoms & prevents serious complications.

Is there a vaccine available to prevent swine flu?
No. There is no vaccine available presently in market to treat present strains of swine flu.

Which are the preventive measures for swine flu?
Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.
Avoid close contact with sick people.
Covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, using a disposable tissue.
Maintaining good basic hygiene, for example washing hands frequently with soap and water for 15-20 seconds or with alcohol-based disposable hand wipes or gel sanitizers. If using gel, rub your hands until the gel is dry

Steps to follow if visited country or area affected by swine influenza?
Monitor your health closely for seven days after your visit to the affected area.
Contact your family physician if any symptoms develop.
If under suspicion avoid contact with other people as much as possible until the results of your tests are back.
Old 30th June 2009, 16:11   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Definitely a larger issue than our authorities make it to be. My family doc recommended us to stock up on some Tamiflu capsules (which we did).

Thanks for sharing.
Old 1st July 2009, 06:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Definitely a larger issue than our authorities make it to be. My family doc recommended us to stock up on some Tamiflu capsules (which we did).

Thanks for sharing.
Well I traveled extensively in last 2 weeks first to Amsterdam and now in East Asia , I think Indian Authorities are doing best in terms of screening at Airports ( Bangalore at least) .

European Airports are least bothered (both Frankfurt and Amsterdam) and they are underplaying. There was not even a health questioner to be filled in there an absolutely no monitoring. This is despite Netherlands and Germany being in the list of affected countries

As of today Close to one million people are affected in USA and it would have definitely helped if they were screening outbound passengers.

Remember SARS days of 2003 the amount of hype and hoopla EU and US created because origin was in Asia.
Old 6th August 2009, 12:46   #25
BHPian

FAQs on Swine Flu

What are the symptoms of swine flu?[/FONT]

The symptoms are cough, cold, fever, chills and body ache. These symptoms are not unusual in the rainy season, so it is difficult to identify the viral infection. Confirmation of swine flu infection is possible only by testing the fluids in the throat and nose for H1N1.

Is there any way to prevent swine flu?

The virus spreads via the air when the infected person coughs or sneezes. The droplets of fluid resulting from coughing or sneezing can also get deposited on solid surfaces like doorknobs, tables, etc. A person can get infected if he/she happens to touch those surfaces and then touches his/her mouth or nose. The swine fly attacks the respiratory track. You should avoid public contact or use mask when in crowded areas where there is possibility of infection. Here is a good source of information: CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)

Pune Swine flu information is available at: http://www.indianex press.com/ news/all- about-swine- flu/495447/ 0

]In case I have symptoms, where do I get tested for H1N1 in Pune?

You need to meet the doctors at Naidu hospital for examination.

Where is Naidu hospital?

Naidu hospital is located near the Pune railway station. It is next to Hotel Le Meridian next to Raja Bahadur mill. When you go towards Le Meridian from RTO, take a left turn just before Le Meridian hotel and follow the signs.

What procedure do I have to follow at Naidu hospital?

Locate the Quarantine ward at Naidu hospital. It is at ward number 7.

Meet the doctors for counseling. Doctors would guide you through the process.

The doctors decide whether you need to be administered the test or not.

In case you need not be tested, you are free to leave.

What tests are done by the doctors?

In case you need to go through the test, you need to stay in the quarantine for a day. A sample of saliva is taken on a swab from your throat and nose. This sample is sent to National Institute of Virology (NIV) Pune. NIV tests the sample and declares the result by 3 pm if the sample is sent before 8 am on the same day. The result could be positive or negative or there is no decision.

In case you are negative, you can go home.

In case there is no decision, you need to stay one more day in the quarantine. Sample is taken the next day and testing is done.

In case you are positive, you have H1N1 virus infection. In that case, you need to be in the quarantine ward for five days including the day of testing. Medicines are given to you and doctors visit you two or three times a day. Preventive medication is also given to your family members. On the fifth day, testing is done to confirm that the test is negative.

What do I expect at the quarantine?

The quarantine area is a hospital ward.

The hospital provides a bed and masks to you. You need to wear a mask all the time. Carry a mobile phone so that you can reach your family using the phone. Ask your family members to get you food, water and tea/coffee/milk. You can take your laptop and reading material so that you can spend your time well during your stay at the hospital.

Toilets are common for the ward. There is no hot water in the bathroom, so taking bath is optional. J Your family members cannot meet you. They can meet the attendant and hand over your tiffin to the attendant. The attendant will hand over the tiffin to you.

]If your young child is infected, you can help her/him by being with her/him in the quarantine. You cannot get out during the mandatory period. You need to take medication to prevent the infection and also wear a mask at all times.

City Hospital Address Contact

Chennai > King Institute of Preventive Medicine (24/7 Service) Guindy, Chennai-32 22501520,

Communicable Diseases Hospital, Thondiarpet, Chennai

Government General Hospital, Opp. Central Railway Station, Chennai – 03 044-25305000, 25305723,25305721,25330300

Pune > Naidu Hospital Nr Le'Meridian, Raja Bahadur Mill, GPO, Pune - 01 26058243
National Institute of Virology 20A Ambedkar Road, Pune -11 26006290

Kolkata > ID Hospital 57,Beliaghata, Beliaghata Road, Kolkata - 10 033 23701252

Coimbatore > Government General Hospital Near Railway Station, Trichy Road, Coimbatore - 18 2301393 2301394[ 2301395

Hyderabad > Govt. General and Chest Diseases Hospital, Erragadda, Hyderabad 23814939

Mumbai > Kasturba Gandhi Hospital Arthur Road, N M Joshi Marg, Jacob Circle, Mumbai - 11 022 23083901 23092458 23004512

Sir J J Hospital J J Marg, Byculla, Mumbai - 08 23735555, 23739031, 23760943 23768400 / 23731144 / 5555 / 23701393 / 1366

Haffkine Institute Acharya Donde Marg, Parel, Mumbai - 12 022 24160947, 24160961, 24160962

Kerala > Government Medical College Gandhi Nagar P O, Kottayam - 08 (0481) 2597311,2597312
Government Medical College Vandanam P O, Allapuzha - 05 (0477) 2282015
Taluk Hospital Railway Station Road, Alwaye, Ernakulam (0484) 2624040 Sathyajit - 09847840051
Taluk Hospital Perumbavoor PO, Ernakulam (0484) 2523138 Vipin - 09447305200

Delhi > All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Ansari Nagar, Aurobindo Marg Ring Road, New Delhi - 29
265944 04, 26861698 R C Deka - 9868397464
National Institute for Communicable Diseases 22, Sham Nath Marg, New Delhi - 54 23971272/060/344/524/449/326
Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital Kharak Singh Marg, New Delhi - 01 23741640, 23741649, 23741639 Dr. N K Chaturvedi 9811101704
Vallabhai Patel Chest Institute University Enclave, New Delhi- 07 27667102, 27667441, 27667667, 27666182

Bangalore > Victoria Hospital K R Market, Kalasipalayam, Bangalore - 02 ](080) 26703294 Dr. Gangadhar - 94480-49863
SDS Tuberculosis & Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases Hosur Road, Hombegowda Nagar, Bangalore - 29
(080) 26631923 Dr. Shivaraj - 99801-48780

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th August 2009 at 19:09. Reason: corrected CDC url
Old 6th August 2009, 13:00   #26
BHPian

Further on swine flu, I think a debate needs to be started on the Govt. Policy of not allowing the Private hospitals to join in the prevention exercise. Atleast those who can afford private hospitals need not be put to the agony of crowding around the listed Govt. hospitals.

Also I believe that the CM of Maharashtra's reaction was knee jerk in criticising the private hospitals before even knowing the sequence of events. If indeed the poor girl already having a cold had approached a GP who had just previously treated a H1N1 contracted patient, how do you expect the hospitals to be responsible to save the child with the complications. Only doubt is regarding the negative testing by the private hospital !!
Old 6th August 2009, 13:37   #27
BHPian

Thanks Emkay for the information.

Regarding the death of Rida:
I think the entire episode is debatable, I have gone through the entire sequence leading to the first SF death in India and I do find the way the private hospital treated the patient as strange. Anyways, this is for the medical experts to decide and pursue. But I have had experiences with the mentioned hospital and I was put off by their greed for money.

Last edited by Meer : 6th August 2009 at 13:39. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 6th August 2009, 13:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Further on swine flu, I think a debate needs to be started on the Govt. Policy of not allowing the Private hospitals to join in the prevention exercise. Atleast those who can afford private hospitals need not be put to the agony of crowding around the listed Govt. hospitals.

Non of private hospitals in India have PCR labs and trained staff to replicate and test current strains of enfluenza virus.

ONLY two institutes have that and both are Govt owned.

Private labs have initial screening kits but these are not confirmatory tests.
Old 6th August 2009, 15:54   #29
BHPian

I have planned for a trip to goa (meaning, I have already booked the resort and paid some advance) during 18-25 Sep 2009. I have a 4yr old kid. After hearing all this H1N1 virus spreading in MH/pune, I am scared and sckeptical about this trip. Can someone advise if I should cancel this trip or will it be safe to travel with family to Goa during that time?
Infact today's TOI has a has a report that if this virus continues till september end, then they would declare an epidemic outbreak in Oct before tourism season starts in Goa.
Kindly advise.
Old 6th August 2009, 16:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

My office already got 6 confirmed case of Swine Flu in Bangalore. Remember what you hear in news it is much bigger behind the scenes.

Only first case was reported and it was covered live by local Bangalore TV channel. But to me relief all affected patients were from other floor. Now it is time to maintain perfect hygiene.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks