Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 14:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
People should also look at alternative medicines like ayurveda and homeo for supplements in the form of immuno boosters which would help prevent complications when one contracts the disease.
I have full faith in ayurveda and homeo, as much as in allopathy. However, to say that these will cure H1N1 without any proof in scientific journals is highly ******. There are people claiming cure for HIV or denying HIV.

Whether people like it or not, it is HIV drugs patented in the developed world but available as generics in the developing world at Rs. 1000-1200/per month that have made a huge difference in the prognosis/mortality associated with HIV and other such serious diseases. For that, do contact any HIV+ (on drugs, 100% adherence) as to what a drastically positive impact drugs have made on their health (clinically and physically).
Old 10th August 2009, 14:42   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think a hollywood movie will come out before the vaccine.
Hollywood already has template - I Am Legend. Actually they can dub the film again by replacing 'Cancer' with 'Flu' and re run the movie again.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rampant use of antibiotics has resulted in strains of malaria that do not respond to any treatment.

Malaria is NOT caused by bacteria. So Antibiotics can not have any role in creating resistant strains of Malaria parasite.

Quote:
We still do not have a vaccine for the common cold(influenza virus), so its a possibility that the vaccine is years away.
I think a hollywood movie will come out before the vaccine.
Swine flue "is Influenza"

It is a specific type of influenza virus.

And we do have flue vaccine. But it has to refreshed every couple of years to include new viri.

And in US "Human Trial" has started for flue vaccine that has H1N1.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:54   #49
BHPian

Tsk, just a couple of comments:
- Contrary to what GOI wants us to believe: Tamiflu can be used for prophylaxis. Otherwise, why do they give it to the family members of the infected.
- Malaria is caused by a parasite and not bacteria, I dont know why you are bringing antibiotics in the picture. But, I agree with the general issue of antibiotic resistance caused by rampant use of antibiotics.
- The 3 companies in India may not have a vaccine before next year. worldwide, I saw a discussion somewhere that a vaccine may be available mid-october.

Finally, I dont like the decision of the government to *create* a black market for Tamiflu. If I understand it right, the tablet has to be administered within 48Hrs of onset of illness to be effective. We all know, that nothing happens in 48-Hrs in anything sarkari, so if you get the drug after 48Hrs, it is probably useless.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:59   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Malaria is NOT caused by bacteria. So Antibiotics can not have any role in creating resistant strains of Malaria parasite.
I used wrong terminology. Rampant use of Anti Malarial drugs created drug resistant malaria.
Quote:
Swine flue "is Influenza"

It is a specific type of influenza virus.

And we do have flue vaccine. But it has to refreshed every couple of years to include new viri.

And in US "Human Trial" has started for flue vaccine that has H1N1.
There is enough evidence(NIH backed) that the "flu shots" which are so common on the west actually do not really work.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:08   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, i have been watching this thread for quite a time and i think i must butt in now:

This thread says Swime Flu Information. And keep it at that. Do not speculate over medicines, dosages, prophylaxis, etc.

One wrong post can do a lot of damage here.

TO CLARIFY: Unnecessary use of Tamiflu will cause resistance.

WHY THIS SUDDEN AUTHORITY FROM MY SIDE?: I come from a family of four doctors and all of us have attended a workshop today at Saifee Hospital regarding Identifying, Preventing & Treating Swine Flu.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:22   #52
Team-BHP Support

Good to have what I said corroborated by a real doc.
I guess the only preventive action now is to wear a mask in crowded places. We got 4 masks for 4.65 each. These are the same variety as wife uses while treating patients(dental).
Old 10th August 2009, 15:28   #53
BANNED

In all probability this H1N1 flu will escalate to big numbers before it settles down and the party has only just begun.

The dangerous thing about this virus is it spreads as easily as a normal flu but is more severe and leads to serious complications if not diagnosed in time.

Better to keep yourself and your family on alert and travel as less as possible.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:28   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
WHY THIS SUDDEN AUTHORITY FROM MY SIDE?: I come from a family of four doctors and all of us have attended a workshop today at Saifee Hospital regarding Identifying, Preventing & Treating Swine Flu.
Fantastic. I was looking for someone *authoritative*. Can you clarify if giving Tamiflu after a delay of more than 48Hrs has any value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Its settings a wrong example . Tamiflu is out of stock most of the places and now ppl are selling this in grey .( 3000 rs per 10 tablets ). how can poor afford this ?
I would've agreed with your comments if I had any trust in our sarkari-machinery. But, as things stand, I don't. From where are these black-marketeers getting the Tablets? Abroad or some leakage in Bharat Sarkar's storage? Another possibility is that whatever is being sold in grey market is fake.

Last edited by Su-47 : 10th August 2009 at 15:34.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:08   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good to have what I said corroborated by a real doc.
I guess the only preventive action now is to wear a mask in crowded places. We got 4 masks for 4.65 each. These are the same variety as wife uses while treating patients(dental).
Tell your wife to wear eye protection while treating dental patients. Dentists are at high risk due to aerosols produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Fantastic. I was looking for someone *authoritative*. Can you clarify if giving Tamiflu after a delay of more than 48Hrs has any value?
it works after that as well. Clinically it is extremely difficult to identify swine flu from normal flu for the first one week.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

The Lancet Infectious Diseases 7 August 2009 published an article `Prescription of anti-influenza drugs for healthy adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis'

This and some more recent journal articles are posted here:

`...it is reasonable to recommend precautionary treatment to people who
are at an increased risk of suffering infl uenza-related complications. Even if active management of seasonal influenza in healthy adults is deemed a public health priority, recommending the use of antiviral drugs for the treatment of people presenting with symptoms is unlikely to be the most appropriate course of action, given the high specificity of zanamivir and oseltamivir to the infl uenza virus, and the debatable clinical importance of their affect on symptom duration. Extension of the
vaccination policy might be a more appropriate choice for healthy adults, and an assessment of cost-effectiveness that includes societal costs of extending the UK
vaccination policy to all working-age adults seems desirable.
desirable

Old 10th August 2009, 16:18   #57
Team-BHP Support

She already does that. but she tells me TB patients worry her more, as every second person who comes for dental treatment has full blown TB!

However I read that since this flu has low mortality rate, many people get this flu, fall ill, and recover after a week, just like normal flu.
In 1918 the spanish flu which had mortality rate of 2.5% killed 300 million.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:37   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

A little cut paste and other points gained from today's workshop.

Hope this will help end speculation in this thread:

The August 2009 Safety Meeting regarding H1N1 Influenza Virus: -

What additional preventive measures have we taken at hospitals / offices to prevent the spread of H1N1 viruses?
- Hand Sanitizers – install “hands free” hand sanitizer units
- Building Ventilation – Maximize ventilations in buildings, decrease use of air conditioners and recirculated air
- Cleaning of Surfaces – Housekeeping resources to be redirected to increase the cleaning and wiping down of common surfaces, such as door handles, bathrooms, tables, elevators, etc.

How can someone with the H1N1 flu infect someone else?
Infected persons may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 7 or more days after becoming sick. That means you may be able to pass on the H1N1 virus to someone before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick. Children, especially younger children, might potentially be contagious for longer periods.

Primary Exposure Route – Person to Person
The primary route of exposure is when a person is near someone who is infected and the infected person coughs or sneezes. The cough or sneeze would result in airborne droplets which contain the H1N1 virus and the nearby person would then inhale the airborne droplets into their respiratory system.

The Secondary Route of Exposure - Viruses on Surfaces If an infected person coughs or sneezes into his or her hand and touches a surface, the surface can become contaminated with the H1N1 virus. These viruses can live 2 hours or longer on surfaces like tables, doorknobs, and desks. A person can then pick up the virus if they touch the contaminated surface and then touch their face, eyes, nose, or mouth.

What actions can people take to stay healthy?
Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or sneeze into your sleeve. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective. Best to use is a product called Sterilium (used by most doctors)
Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
H1N1 Influenza Flu is spread primarily through person-to-person contact, coughing or sneezing by infected persons.
If you get sick, stay home away from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.

There’s a simple way to remember your precautions:
CATCH IT, BIN IT, KILL IT.

Emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention.
For Adults:
Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
Sudden dizziness
Confusion
Severe or persistent vomiting

For Children:
Fast breathing or trouble breathing
Bluish skin color
Not drinking enough fluids
Not waking up or not interacting
Being so irritable the child does not want to be held
Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
Fever with a rash

What else can you do?
There are some other useful actions you can take now to
prepare in case swine flu becomes more widespread:
Set up a network of ‘flu friends’.
Flu friends are neighbours, friends and relatives who can
help you if you get ill. For example, they could collect
medicines, food and other supplies for you, so that you
don’t have to leave home if you are ill.

In Summary:

The best precautions are to stay healthy and get plenty of rest. Wash you hands frequently, especially after touching surfaces such as door handles, tables, elevator buttons, etc. Avoid contact with persons who are sick.

If you are sick, stay at home, away from work and/or school.

THERE IS NO VACCINE CURRENTLY.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:42   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

See below attached form, print it and distribute:
Attached Thumbnails
Swine Flu Information - Important Information in post#102 on Page 7-picture-2.png  

Old 10th August 2009, 16:46   #60
Team-BHP Support

@Tejas: Thanks.

You have not mentioned anything about Masks?

Looking at the panic emails running in my office info sharing group. I would like get a a couple of 100 masks and sell them for a huge profit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks