Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 11:08   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the indian made aura alloys are certainly not cosmetic - my personal experience
im not saying ive gone severely off road in my old 2WD bolero but I ve done quite a bit of it in the 3 years I had that jeep.

also a great deal of hill driving in coorg/ ooty / munnar etc at good speeds over mostly pot-holed roads - not to mention our very own dear bangalore pot holes.

nothing ever happened to my B1560 aura alloys - indeed the person who bought the jeep even commented on the excellent condition of the tyres and wheels and paid me a premium for that jeep (compared with the ruling market prices at the time of sale in 2008 March).

cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by darxide View Post
i agree witth you,the alloys we get here are mostly for cosmetic use and are really not reliable and damage prone especially when used off road. most of these are mass produced in taiwan or china.
you can however check on 4x4 sites in the US,theyve got some real hot and capable looking wheels. but again the issue is not only with the hi price and head aches of importing them but also the wierd 160 PCD our bolero wheels have
I fuuly agree with s balan. After going through a lot of reviews and opinions on alloy wheels for Bolero in team-bhp (thanks to shankar balan)and other sites, I finally decided on Aura B1560. Aura is definitely not for cosmetic use.
Cheers!
Old 5th August 2009, 11:09   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darxide View Post
you can however check on 4x4 sites in the US,theyve got some real hot and capable looking wheels.
What makes you think that they're not mass produced in Taiwan / China?

Old 5th August 2009, 11:14   #93
BHPian

point taken.but there must be some that are not.

there are a very few things that can cause the pain similar to what you feel when you see a big gash/stratch/dent/bend in your shiny set of wheel rims caused by someones or your own carelessness. i know ive been there.~IT HURTS LIKE HELL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
What makes you think that they're not mass produced in Taiwan / China?

Last edited by darxide : 5th August 2009 at 11:24.
Old 5th August 2009, 11:19   #94
Senior - BHPian

Matter of practicality too.
Steel wheels will deform/warp on severe impact loading. Alloys will almost certainly crack.
Steel rims can be repaired or replaced without cleaning you out.

Alloys are used primarily for reduction of unsprung weight. Not much they can do for off road use. Indeed they can prove rather expensive.
Old 5th August 2009, 11:39   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Matter of practicality too.
Steel wheels will deform/warp on severe impact loading. Alloys will almost certainly crack.
Steel rims can be repaired or replaced without cleaning you out.

Alloys are used primarily for reduction of unsprung weight. Not much they can do for off road use. Indeed they can prove rather expensive.
......and then youre back to requesting your dealer to sell you a single rim. incase of imported rims, for which more often than not, the answer will be "dilli se mangana padega!" & "price bhi bad gaya"
i drove around for 3 months in my ikon with 3 alloys and one steel rim
Old 5th August 2009, 12:19   #96
BHPian

@mudmover, nice ride. crde by the looks of it. how's the performance?
@agspins- clean and simple lines. looks good.

Guys, GTO has been using alloys for his offroading jaunts. And going through the 4 x 4 threads, i've seen quite a few guys with alloys doing serious offroading. So I don't think strength is an issue. Yes but the cost of replacing will be high, no repairs possible.
Oh and the wheel caps provided by Mahindra are the pits, but not having them on is even worse, looks wise. I've already lost 4 wheel caps at different points of time, while touring over bad roads. Infact at this moment in time I am one wheel cap short.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:44   #97
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Almost ALL serious offroading around the world is done on alloys and not steel rims.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:44   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
@agspins- clean and simple lines. looks good.

Guys, GTO has been using alloys for his offroading jaunts. And going through the 4 x 4 threads, i've seen quite a few guys with alloys doing serious offroading. So I don't think strength is an issue. Yes but the cost of replacing will be high, no repairs possible.
Oh and the wheel caps provided by Mahindra are the pits, but not having them on is even worse, looks wise. I've already lost 4 wheel caps at different points of time, while touring over bad roads. Infact at this moment in time I am one wheel cap short.
dont worry i have 6 in spare ..they are all yours
Old 5th August 2009, 16:13   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Yes crde it is. Performance? STORMY! The real test of the crde Bolero will happen in September I guess, when Milecruncher takes his crde Bolero to Leh! Guys, can we have some pics of 4X4 Boleros really taking on the mud & rocks? Will appreciate it if someone can post pics of Bolos fitted with - snorkel/winch/snow chain.
Old 5th August 2009, 17:31   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Yes crde it is. Performance? STORMY! The real test of the crde Bolero will happen in September I guess, when Milecruncher takes his crde Bolero to Leh! Guys, can we have some pics of 4X4 Boleros really taking on the mud & rocks? Will appreciate it if someone can post pics of Bolos fitted with - snorkel/winch/snow chain.
@MudMover glad to know you are enjoying your Storm. Will be eagerly waiting for Milecruncher's travelogue.
There is a photo of a Bolero Camper 4wd fitted with a winch. Here's the linkhttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1399119

There are a few other pics of 4wd Boleros in the offroading meet section. Mostly Invaders and a few Boleros.

@ Darxide, I shall take you up on the offer! Till i replace my rims with alloys.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:47   #101
BHPian

[

@ Darxide, I shall take you up on the offer! Till i replace my rims with alloys.[/quote]
you are most welcome!!
Old 6th August 2009, 16:46   #102
BHPian

Link to a few pics of Boleros offroading.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...5-7-09-m14.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...lenge-063c.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...lenge-063k.jpg
Old 27th August 2009, 15:22   #103
BHPian

Bolero SLX DI Turbo 2009 White

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-img00056200908231726.jpg

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-img00055200908231726.jpg

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-img00177200907170942.jpg

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-img00052200908231725.jpg

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-img00057200908231727.jpg

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-img00182200907170943.jpg

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-img00053200908231725.jpg

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-img00054200908231725.jpg

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-img00051200908231724.jpg

All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-img00175200907170940.jpg

Cheers,
Old 27th August 2009, 16:31   #104
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics sriku ! Only you have to remove that 'india gate' in front and install a proper nudge bar.
Old 27th August 2009, 17:02   #105
BHPian

@sriku, you seem to be really paranoid about the security of your ride, gear lock, clutch lock, et al. Nyways this pic is my friends bolero which i often use to travel to nearby hilly locations, its a DI turbo 4 X 2 and feels quite torquey at low RPMs. Has all utiliterian comforts and even a "beige" interior to boot !!(very dirt prone, i must say)

But guys, i am really confused on one point, I think that the Bolero is essentially a MUV people mover on the lines of qualis, sumo (which also comes in 4X4), tavera, innova, etc.

Without standard 4WD, Hi-Lo ratio gearbox, differential lock, all wheel independent suspension,the stuff, how can Bolero be called a SUV?
Attached Thumbnails
All T-BHP Bolero Owners with Pics of their SUV-picture-141.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks