Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2012, 16:30   #46
BHPian

Re: Stem Cell Banking in India : Advice Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Thanks. I searched before posting this new one. Mods. request you to merge the thread
Old 14th October 2012, 18:33   #47
BHPian

At a high level, there are 3 sources of stem cells - embryonic, cord/cord blood and bone marrow.

Embryonic source doesn't yield enough cells that can differentiate into a specific cell form so as to generate enough cells to take care of need of an adult, if required.

And most importantly, these stem cell bankers play the emotions card during their presentation. Please note, stem cell is in research stage only anywhere in the world and there aren't enough success stories during clinical trials, specially for embryonic cells so as to warrant a storage.

PS - having a stem cell scientist for wife helps

PPS - am not indicating that every one should marry a stem cell scientist for help
Old 14th October 2012, 20:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: Stem Cell Banking in India : Advice Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
At a high level, there are 3 sources of stem cells - embryonic, cord/cord blood and bone marrow.

Embryonic source doesn't yield enough cells that can differentiate into a specific cell form so as to generate enough cells to take care of need of an adult, if required.

And most importantly, these stem cell bankers play the emotions card during their presentation. Please note, stem cell is in research stage only anywhere in the world and there aren't enough success stories during clinical trials, specially for embryonic cells so as to warrant a storage.

PS - having a stem cell scientist for wife helps

PPS - am not indicating that every one should marry a stem cell scientist for help

Did your wife say embryonic cells are not enough or did she say cord cells are not enough? I think you made a typo.

From what I have read over several years, embryonic cells (obtained from aborted embryos that were conceived specifically for this purpose) are the best source, and also morally the most problematic (the mother conceived with the full and singular intention to kill the embryo) - this is the reason conservatives in US just wouldn't let any stem cell research to proceed.

Also a Harvard team apparently fooled some skin cells into converting themselves into generic stem-cells recently.
Old 14th October 2012, 21:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

My .02 to the discussion:

I am a soon to be dad, went through with lots of pitch from the marketing executives. Then taking advice from many doctors from India, US and Germans. It was concluded that its not a fail proof tech as of now and you will be extremely lucky for an investment to get the right results when you need It most that is 30+ years later. There is no guarantee at the crucial time, money won't suffice.

The technology will see a quantum jump in coming decade and maybe this blood/umbilical tissue will not be a crucial aspect.

My wife and I didn't take this route to our kid's health. I hope everyone does their due diligence.

All the best!
Old 15th October 2012, 17:40   #50
BHPian

Re: Stem Cells

There's a lot of opinion on why to Go and Why not to go with Stem Cell Banking option. Here's what i think the pros and cons are

Pros:

1. A lot of research happening worldwide. Who knows what can be potential in the future. If something breakthrough happens and one finds himself in need. He won't regret.

2. Retrieval at later stage will cost a lot (Price uncertainness) . Doing a banking is like an insurance. Atleast you know the existing cost and if you can afford it, why not?

3. If this is your second baby or if you are not planning any more baby. Then it's advisable to go for this provided you believe in future prospect of this technology.

4. It's private banking. So the sample will only be available for your own usage.

5. Future preservation technique can be improved and probably it can be stored for longer period.

6. Insurance about the sample guarantee. If the sample goes bad, they will replace it matching HLA free of cost or will disburse you some money (10-15 Lac). Again this acts as an insurance of any future needs

Cons

1. Initial Cost is high but companies provide EMI option
2. A lot of research happening worldwide. Who knows what can be potential in the future. If nothing breakthrough happens, your money is gone and wasted
3. Lot of uncertainties and unknowns about storage technique, potential usage etc. Who knows they will be able to preserve it till 20 years
4. Financial background of companies doing business. What if they goes bankrupt. As of now Cordlife provides transfer option to other banks.
5. Potential risk while extracting cord blood etc. I had a chat with doctor and they said it's no longer the case. If in case of mother having thyroid problems etc the amount of blood extracted will be far less and they will only do it they feel its safe.

There may be a few more but this is what comes in my mind as of now. Also i have done a comparison of three service provider in india and somehow find cordlife to be more clear in their terms and condition document to be very detailed and mentions various parameters. I am attaching the comparison in the post.

And finally, my comparison is based on the parameters which i think is important. others may differ from my parameters. E.g. Cordlife provides dual storage in Calcutta and Singapore whereas cyrobank in Gurgaon. So someone in NCR might want a location nearer and may go with cyrobank etc.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Stem Cell Banking Comparo.xlsx (11.4 KB, 838 views)
Old 15th October 2012, 17:55   #51

Weather to bank stem sells or not is a very personal decision. We were also in a fix ~4 years back then we had our son. What i concluded was that the only drawback of taking this forward is financial loss. Umbical cord is anyway a biological waste. And who knows if tomorrow science comes up with something great utilizing stem cells and then we wont have this option of storing the stem cells.
We spend money on other luxuries. Maybe 2 year cost of gas we consume in our vehicles would be equallent to this cost.

So my advise would be that if you could spend this money and forget about it, there is no reason you should not do this. I have heard so many stories (executed locally) where this has come for help.
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:37   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

So many years on TBHP, and I am still pleasantly caught out most of the time.
I wanted to have inputs about Stem cell preservation, and just for the heck of it, I decided to put it in the search box.
Voila!

Anyway.

See, the little one is on the way, arriving all cylinders firing in February. I and the missus have been attending classes, meeting doctors, getting online etc etc.
To the current issue though, then.

We are THOROUGHLY conifsed as to which vendor to go for, for Stem Cell preservation. Some personal recommendations/experiences will be EXTREMELY worthy of paranthas at gulshan(or equivalent).

From the brochures and the presentation, Lifecell seems to be the most professional outfit, but of course, that's the only presentation we've seen.

I'd REALLY appreciate your inputs, guys, about others like Relicord and such.
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
From the brochures and the presentation, Lifecell seems to be the most professional outfit, but of course, that's the only presentation we've seen.

I'd REALLY appreciate your inputs, guys, about others like Relicord and such.
We chose not to. Courtesy a family relative - doctor. Here's his email, excerpted.

Read the original AAP 2007 policy on cord blood (retired in 2012, but with no further update, so YMMV).
Please pay attention to the page 167 , recommendation 1 - quoted below.

Quote:
Cord blood donation should be discouraged when cord blood stored in a bank is to be directed for later personal or family use, because most conditions that might be helped by cord blood stem cells already exist in the infant’s cord blood (ie, premalignant changes in stem cells). Physicians should be aware of the unsubstantiated claims of private cord blood banks made to future parents that promise to insure infants or family members against serious illnesses in the future by use of the stem cells contained in cord blood. Although not standard of care, directed cord blood banking should be encouraged when there is knowledge of a full sibling in the family with a medical condition (malignant or genetic) that could potentially benefit from cord blood transplantation.
Please draw our own conclusions.
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:40   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
We chose not to. Courtesy a family relative - doctor. Here's his email, excerpted.

Read the original AAP 2007 policy on cord blood (retired in 2012, but with no further update, so YMMV).
Please pay attention to the page 167 , recommendation 1 - quoted below.

Please draw our own conclusions.
That report was mildly bipolar. Maybe because its unbiased.
What I am slightly muddled about now is, are the preserved blood and tissue helpful to the child, if he has a condition at a later age, say, age 15,25 etc?
If so, then its hardly an expense at all right now. Most quotes are for 50-60k for 15-21 years.
In that case, who to go for?
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
So many years on TBHP, and I am still See, the little one is on the way, arriving all cylinders firing in February. I and the missus have been attending classes, meeting doctors, getting online etc etc.
To the current issue though, then.
Congratulations to both of you. Enjoy this time thoroughly.

As far as stem cells are concerned we did not go for it, instead invested that amount for my daughters future. We also did a lot of research in this matter along with consulting my uncle who is a consultant paediatrician in UK. Here is what he had said -
Quote:
Dear Abhinav and Monika

In addition to what we have already discussed this morning, my search of the relevant (non-profit, non-commercial) MEDICAL websites has given me some clear answers which are as follows:

1. It is worth considering if you have a known genetic disorder in your family which is life limiting for the affected child/person and is curable by stem cell transplant. In the absence of these clear indications, it’s not recommended, at least in the present state of medical facilities even in developed countries.

2. It’s very expensive and at least 80-100 ml of cord blood is required which will obviously be a time consuming procedure requiring expertise at high level. If they can’t get the sufficient volume of blood from the cord, the whole exercise may be futile despite the expense.

3. Person collecting the cord blood should have no responsibility for looking after the mother and baby at the time of delivery. (You can’t do two things at once!)

4. Commercial companies are exploiting would be parents by using emotive language; it’s almost emotional blackmail in some cases. Who, in the right frame of mind, wouldn’t want to secure the future of their yet unborn child???

I have enclosed two PDF documents and a few links for you to read. My view is clear – don’t bother!

Best wishes

Chacha

http://www.hta.gov.uk/licensingandin...dcordblood.cfm

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/cordblood/faq/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...nta-cord-blood

http://kidshealth.org/parent/_cancer...ord_blood.html
Hope that helps. Plus a food for thought - 10 years back they were preserving umblical cord, now cord blood, something else might come up 10 years down the line! No doctors are using cords now.
It is still under research and many companies are jumping the gun and fuelling there research with your money. Be informed and take your own decision. Plus you may find the cure with a baby of your relative in future.

Its almost like insurance but something which is less needed IMO. Don't take an emotional decision, take a logical one!
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:11   #56
BHPian

Couple of more points to ponder:

1. Most of the stem related therapies are not main stream. Hence the cost of those therapies are sky high
2. Check with stem cell storage provider on how many instances the stem cells were used? By the own person or sibling. Where was the stem cell therapy done?
3. Stem cell from the cord tissue is still not approved by the US Drug administration and hence it is not used. It is being stored now with the assumption that it will approved in future course
4. Stem cells banking are over hyped and marketed aggressively in India. Consider the business model earlier was public stem cell banking where one needs to pay only when using it. This failed badly and hence the corporates moved to private stem cell banking

Also there is enough research around reverse generating stem cells from skin cells which avoids the banking of stem cells.

Last edited by rajakumar : 23rd October 2013 at 14:19. Reason: updates
Old 24th November 2017, 11:28   #57
BHPian

Bumping up this thread:

The last comment was about 4 years ago.

Wanted to know the current view and experiences of some recent parents as I have to make a decision soon enough.

Do you see any changes on the ground in terms of ground breaking research or treatment in stem cell therapy? Has it progressed enough?
Old 24th November 2017, 11:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphukan View Post
Wanted to know the current view and experiences of some recent parents as I have to make a decision soon enough.
Personally I would see it as a hype created by stem cell storage companies. Except when you have a family history of genetic diseases which can be cured "only" by stem cell therapy, I do not see the utility of storing the stem cells.

Quote:
Do you see any changes on the ground in terms of ground breaking research or treatment in stem cell therapy? Has it progressed enough?
Why stem cell therapy only? There are far more promising (and still risky) research being done in Biotechnology field which can cure genetic diseases in future.
Old 24th November 2017, 12:30   #59
BHPian

My 2 cents as someone who has undergone stem cell treatment

Background
Met with a bike accident resulting a tibia fracture and deltoid ligament rupture at the ankle. The repair was done with extensive reconstruction of the ligament. The x-ray shows right after operation in 2003
Stem Cells-2003post-operative.jpg

Fast forward 11 years, being an avid fitness enthusiast, kept on playing, running marathons and ignoring the pain in the ankle all this time. The result...in seen the x-ray below (Nov 2014)
Stem Cells-2014.jpg

End stage arthritis in the lateral side of the right ankle. I could not walk because the pain was excruciating, my gait had a severe limp and the prognosis was bleak.
Met many well known orthos, all of them suggested to use orthotics to give support to the ankle, have painkillers and ride the pain wagon as much as i could. Once my threshold of pain would run out, ankle fusion was the only option. My playing/running days were over as walking itself was my biggest challenge.

Tried lot of alternate treatments (needling, taping, custom orthotics) but nothing helped and walking without pain became my goal.

Read a lot about it on the internet and came across this magical thin called stem cells. People in the US were raving about it potential to treat arthritis and also in treatment of ailments considered un-treatable till now.

Talked to an orthopedic friend of mine who had been doing stem cell treatments for a couple of years and according to him the results though not guaranteed were very positive in cases where it worked. Nothing to loose and the desire to walk pain free made my decided to go for stem cell injection in my ankle joint. I had the option of my own stem cells (37 years old) vs preserved donor cell from umbilical cords from a stem cell bank. I decided on the latter to increase the chances of efficacy.

The first 6 months after the injection there was no improvement in pain and walking was still tough. But slowly and steadily i started feeling better in the ankle. Exercise of the muscles around the ankle helped and i was able to walk better wearing a brace around my ankle.
One and a half year later i started to jog at a very slow pace and kept on increasing the intensity progressively.
And then this year i was able to do this
Stem Cells-nitin-gera-riding-changla-pass-1.jpg

http://www.zevenworld.com/more-sport...rain-of-ladakh

My take
People buy cellphones worth 50K without blinking an eye, but have reservations regarding something like this which can be a life saver.
One should definitely opt for stem cell banking. As of today there are treatments using the cord tissue stem cells. The have MSCs that have the capability in develop into any tissue (muscle, organ, cartilage). Having your own stem cells is the best as the HLA markers match is 100%. Any sibling/parent can give a maximum of 50% match on the HLA markers. Higher match % helps your donor cells engraft (grow and make new blood cells in your body),reduces the risk of complications like graft-versus-host disease (GVHD).

Cord blood cells are still in a state of infancy as far as treatments of cancers are concerned, there are still cases where they are used in conjunction with chemotherapy (Lisa Ray)

Stem cells are still an experimental treatment as there are no clinical evidences as to what makes them work and what doesn't, but when someone is at the end of the road and nothing to loose, they provide a ray of hope.

Last edited by trance_nut : 24th November 2017 at 12:37.
trance_nut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 12:38   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bumping up this thread:

The last comment was about 4 years ago.

I went with it when my son was born almost 4 years ago. It is hardly an expense and reading the response quoted below cements by belief in my old credo of "better to have and not want, than want and not have". It may all be marketing but when it is required, you will not feel lost.

This one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
My 2 cents as someone who has undergone stem cell treatment

People buy cellphones worth a 50K without blinking an eye, but have reservations regarding something like this which can be a life saver.
One should definitely opt for stem cell banking. As of today there are treatments using the cord tissue stem cells. The have MSCs that have the capability in develop into any tissue (muscle, organ, cartilage). Having your own stem cells is the best as the HLA markers match is 100%. Any sibling/parent can give a maximum of 50% match on the HLA markers. Higher match % helps your donor cells engraft (grow and make new blood cells in your body),reduces the risk of complications like graft-versus-host disease (GVHD).

Cord blood cells are still in a state of infancy as far as treatments of cancers are concerned, there are still cases where they are used in conjunction with chemotherapy (Lisa Ray)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks