Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 10:37   #1
BHPian

Stem Cells

Hello Guys,

I was just wondering that if anybody from TBHP has any experience with Stem Cell preservation.

At the time of birth the blood found in the umbical cord is a rich source of stem cells. These stem cells can be used to cure many life-threatening diseases and medical conditions.

These stem cells are an exact match for immidiate relations of the father and mother.

These are preserved somewhere in Chennai by company named LifeCell and are preserved for an unlimited period.

For the first 25 years from childs birth its the property of parents and from there on it gets transfered into the childs name.

Cost involved is around 1 lakh, its a one time pay out.

Below is the link to the service provider in India :::

Facilitating Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cell Banking In India
Old 13th May 2009, 10:41   #2
BHPian

We are having a baby soon and have done the research - will definately be getting the stem cells frozen for our baby.
Old 13th May 2009, 10:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
We are having a baby soon and have done the research - will definately be getting the stem cells frozen for our baby.
Even we are having a baby soon, so I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with the same.

Are you getting it done by the same company? How much are they charging for the same? I heard that they even are offering EMI schemes for max. 2 years.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting. I will be watching this thread. Somehow reminds me of that "investment portfolio for new-born" thread.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:50   #5
BANNED

There is no doubt about the future of Stem Cell Therapy. So preserving the cord blood may be an excellent insurance.

However, while the promise is there we have too many unsubstantiated claims and the rest going around. It is very difficult to separate the grain from the chaff.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

Just curious.

Why store the cells, when we can get someone in the
Quote:
immidiate relations of the father and mother.
to have a baby.
and 25 years. maybe the just born today can have his/her own baby.

EDIT:
OT: reminds me of the Seinfeld episode in, which Kramer stores his blood in the fridge.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:58   #7
BHPian

We banked the umbilical cord blood of our son with Lifecell. This was about three years back, and I was decently happy with their service. Back then, it was much cheaper: about 60K.

Sam, this might've reminded you of the investment thread, but this is more of an insurance than an investment. And, I hope I never have to use the stem-cells we've banked.

God bless,
Su-47

EDIT:
bblost said: "Why store the cells, when we can get someone in the (immidiate relations of the father and mother. )"
Because the embryonic blood is rich in stem cells which can be programmed to become any type of cell (skin, blood and what not).

BTW, embryonic blood is not the only way to get stem cells. The other method is where an embryo's nucleus is sucked out and another cells's nucleus is implanted. If this embryo grows up successfully (which in all probability won't), it will be a clone. The other use is to generate whatever type of cells (say a liver) by growing these stem cells. Since this involves an embryo, there are lot of ethical issues.

This is a hot area which is not just science but factors like religion play a big role as well.

Last edited by Su-47 : 13th May 2009 at 12:10.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Just curious.

Why store the cells
The blood which is present in the umbical chord is rich in stem cell and will stay rich only if its preserved immidiately after the childs birth, which in turn is much different from what a grown up human beings blood.

That is why a need to store.

These cells when injected into an infected person ( immidiate relations ), replaces and rebuilds the infacted cell completely from the very core, and the person gets cured of the disease permanently.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Today stem cell research may be in its infancy but there is a good chance that 10 years later the stem cells saved today could save your or your loved ones life.
A lot of negativity about stem cells comes from religious zealots who say "do not play god".
Old 13th May 2009, 12:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Today stem cell research may be in its infancy but there is a good chance that 10 years later the stem cells saved today could save your or your loved ones life.
A lot of negativity about stem cells comes from religious zealots who say "do not play god".
Those who have to go (after their call has come) will go no matter what.
Those who still have their time left here will stay on no matter what.(Stem cells have a part here, only).
Imagine God saying "Damn! I wanted xyz to come to me, ah, but he got saved by the stem cells. I should have thought about that earlier" (Bump on the forehead)
Just my views.
Will I go for Stem cell preservation of my son/daughter, yes why not!

Last edited by prince_pervez : 13th May 2009 at 12:32.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

I've had personal experience with "stem cell transplant" with one of the family members in the US.

I'll limit the discussion where in the future the subject is under a life-threating situation..

Any stem cell transplant consists of mainly 3 types: Autologus; Umbilical and Allogenic.

In Autologus, patients' own preserved cells are used (frozen) and typically overlap to some extent with Umbilical Cord, whereas in Allogenic, a donor profiling on 6 parameters is done. Western countries boast a 25% chance of Exact (100% match) Donor Profiling, whereby this is close to 70% when it comes to India.. but the problem here is that in India, there are a very few hospitals which conduct an Allogenic SCT (Stem Cell Transplant).

Considering the above, it is useful that one should go in for Umbilical cord freezing.

EDIT: Couldnt agree more with prince_pervez!

Last edited by panky12345 : 13th May 2009 at 12:32.
Old 13th May 2009, 14:16   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Imagine God saying "Damn! I wanted xyz to come to me, ah, but he got saved by the stem cells. I should have thought about that earlier" (Bump on the forehead)
or maybe God saying. Damn why did that xyz not use the science I was enabling them to understand and use.

just my thought.

How can man know and try to judge, what is God's wish.
Old 9th August 2011, 21:03   #13
BHPian

Re: Stem Cells

Can anyone indicate what are current prices for this and which is the better banks offering this service.
Old 9th August 2011, 21:11   #14
Team-BHP Support

Lifecell will cost you approx 70k.
Old 10th August 2011, 10:33   #15
BHPian

Hello all,

I did stored stem cells of my kid in Feb'09 with Life cell International. Total cost came around 70K for 25 years (?).

Thanks,
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks