Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 13:25   #1
BHPian

We don't sell cars to Swamijis

We don't sell cars to Swamijis, News - Latest - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror=

Appearances can be deceptive, but try saying that to a salesman. Especially a car salesman. For them, the first impression is often the only impression, something that a swamiji, not unduly bothered about how he looked, learnt to his deep chagrin.

On Tuesday evening at a car showroom on Queen’s Road, P Neelam Reddy Maharaj, a swamiji belonging to the Reddy Samaja, who went to purchase a brand new Maruti Swift car, was treated shabbily by a sales executive and had to bear the ignominy of being labelled a ‘fraud’. Not one to give up so easily, on Wednesday Maharaj went to Raj Bhavan to complain to Governor Rameshwar Thakur about the humiliation meted out to him.
“I hail from Bemkhad village in Bidar district. I have formed a Suvarana Vishwa Bharat Ashram in Bidar and I wanted a white colour Swift for swamijis of our communities to move around. Wanting to pick up one such car, I visited Pratham Motors showroom, but the response I got was not great,” Maharaj told Bangalore Mirror.

LEADS TO TIFF

Maharaj sports a thick beard and wears a garish turban, not something that might inspire immediate trust in polite society. At the showroom, Suresh R, a salesman, attended to him and briefed him about the various car models that were available. Maharaj, however, wanted a white petrol car, a model that was not available then in the showroom. “I told them I am ready to pay up to Rs 15 lakh, I also told them that the car needed to be modified to suit my taste.”
“But they were not convinced. At one point, the sales executive lost his cool,” Maharaj said. In the argument that broke out, the executive snapped: “You people are frauds, you print fake currency notes. We don’t sell cars to swamijis.”

COMPLAINT TO GUV

That comment irked Maharaj. He protested, but to no avail. On Wednesday morning, Maharaj reached Raj Bhavan to meet the Governor, but was not allowed inside by security personnel. Later, he was asked to give a representation to the Governor’s office, which he did. “It was ridiculous that the salesman refused to entertain my demand and called me a fraud. Do I look like a fraud? Or don’t I have the right to purchase a car? Now I want justice and I have approached the Governor to intervene in the matter,” Maharaj said. The complaint has left Raj Bhavan officials perplexed. “This is the first time that I am seeing a person with such a grievance. I don’t know how to react,” said a security official.

SALESMAN’S VERSION

Bangalore Mirror tried ascertaining the authenticity of Maharaj’s claim by calling up sales executive Suresh whose visiting card was with Maharaj. Suresh admitted that Maharaj had come to the showroom on Tuesday evening, but did not appear to be serious about making a purchase.
“He enquired with me about the availability of various models. I gave him all the details and he went away. He didn’t even ask me about the white colour car and there was no issue of calling him a fraud. If a white colour car is available, we give it or else a customer has to wait for three weeks for delivery,” Suresh said. He added that the showroom does not discriminate among buyers on the basis of their appearance.
Old 14th May 2009, 13:42   #2
BHPian

“I told them I am ready to pay up to Rs 15 lakh, I also told them that the car needed to be modified to suit my taste.”

Whoa! That's some serious money for a modded swift! Reminded me of the olden days when a Maharaja would walk into a RR showroom and say money is no constraint just replicate my palace inside it. Ha Ha Ha

Somebody give him DC's number
Old 14th May 2009, 13:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Talk about Swamiji's and money, 15laks for modding a car! Man, that guys has some serious rich taste!!!

Maybe the best thing to start during recession! LOL!!!
Old 14th May 2009, 13:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes, did read about this in today's newspaper ! Appearances are deceptive indeed ! Went to Mandya some time back on some loan disbursement work and all the four or five people we met at the bank there looked so very rustic and farmer like. However, when the time came to make some payments, their hands went into their half chaddis inside the dhoti's and out came only wads of Rs.500/- notes ! And this even before thier agriculture loans were sanctioned ! We also later realised they had come in a Lancer and a Corolla !
Old 14th May 2009, 13:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Talk about Swamiji's and money, 15laks for modding a car! Man, that guys has some serious rich taste!!!

Maybe the best thing to start during recession! LOL!!!
Just hope that 1 year down the line, we dont see him posting on the "Are you biased or blind" thread
Old 14th May 2009, 14:21   #6
BHPian

I have seen shabby looking farmers in Rajasthan who could be driving around in Mercedes S classes if they wanted. Looks can be so deceptive.

I wonder what prompted the sales man to say that, if that were true. All that person would be interested is getting the money which in this case can go upto 15lakhs! What difference does it make to him if he sells a car to a Swamiji or School boy, as long as they are ready to pay for it in genuine Indian currency.

Last edited by vivekji05 : 14th May 2009 at 14:26.
Old 14th May 2009, 14:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
At the showroom, Suresh R, a salesman, attended to him and briefed him about the various car models that were available. Maharaj, however, wanted a white petrol car, a model that was not available then in the showroom. “I told them I am ready to pay up to Rs 15 lakh, I also told them that the car needed to be modified to suit my taste.”
“But they were not convinced. At one point, the sales executive lost his cool,” Maharaj said. In the argument that broke out, the executive snapped: “You people are frauds, you print fake currency notes. We don’t sell cars to swamijis.”
Looks like this "Swamiji" is just throwing his weight around.

He wants a car that is not in Stock, and is not willing to wait. Salesman can't help him since there is s waiting period.

Swamiji decides to teach him a lesson by creating an ugle scene and looks like he succeeded
Old 14th May 2009, 16:00   #8
BHPian

Hilarious news I should say. Why would the swamyji go to the Governor to complain against the salesman??
Old 14th May 2009, 16:16   #9
BHPian

+1 with NetfreakBombay. Is the Governor of state the resolution towards ill treatment in a car dealership? I too read this in the morning, the so called Swamiji lacks any sense of proportion w.r.t. adding 15L worth accessories to a Swift, unable to wait for a car that is not in stock as well as going to the Governor if at all everything he claims is true. IMO, its merely a publicity stunt.
Old 14th May 2009, 16:35   #10
BANNED

Bangalore Mirror is going down.
Old 14th May 2009, 16:42   #11
BHPian

+2 to that.
He has better chances of getting "justice" by writing directly to MUL.
If he is going for mods which are like 3 times the cost of the car, he better be well informed about that. Someone please send him the link to this forum.
Old 14th May 2009, 17:02   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe he should join TBHP and start a thread against Pratham Motors and Maruti.

Hold on...is lambuhere1 a disciple? I wonder...
Old 14th May 2009, 17:05   #13
BANNED

Now what mods would a swamiji want on a Swift amounting to 10 lakhs over the base price?

Bulletproofing? But then why Swift?
Old 14th May 2009, 17:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen shabby looking farmers in Rajasthan who could be driving around in Mercedes S classes if they wanted. Looks can be so deceptive.
Theres a diff here, a shabby looking rich farmer could have hundreds of acres under him (which explains why he is able to spend so much).

But I always thought Swamiji's were the ones who sacrifice materialistic things to live a simple lifestyle. So how can a person like this even dream of spending 15 lakhs on a car?

Shan2nu
Old 14th May 2009, 17:53   #15
BHPian

Sorry shan2u.We are talking about the modern day swamiji's.

Most Viewed