Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 22:26   #1
BHPian

Will gasoline become illegal?

With the recent efforts of green and environmentally safe designs, many people question whether or not gasoline will become illegal. It is possible that gasoline could become illegal but not due to logical reasons. The law of supply vs demand states that this commodity like others should become cheaper once the demand is relieved. However, with the extreme democratic white house in the United States, a law could be easily passed that makes gasoline illegal. This raises the question for many people, "Will gasoline become illegal?"

What do you think? Please read this article for full understanding, video content, and charts and then post your opinion below.

Article: Will gasoline become illegal?
Old 18th May 2009, 22:52   #2
BHPian

People speculated that the Motorcar will make the horse extinct, it did the opposite, horses are only used for recreation and hobby and I think thats what would happen to our big V8s. In a few decades we’ll be commuting in hydrogen fuel cell cars and the 351 Cleveland will live in a shed for a Saturday
Old 19th May 2009, 00:57   #3
BHPian

Don't worry, I have studied this topic extensively and have a consensus from INdustry leaders including Raj Khosla - search "khosla ventures" on the internet. Next gen fuel is Hydrogen and Cellulosic (farm waste derived ethanol)

Edit, politically, the western world (read ones with the money) want independence from the middle east oil sources.

There's far more money being pumped into alternative sources of fuel than you can imagine.

There's a honda advertisement on youtube.com, which states how the future houses (they are running test houses at present) on hydrogen from natural resources.

Your worry has been discussed by global leaders and if you have read India's past Manmohan Singh, the Prime Minister of our nation has argued on atomic resources to the extent of bargaining hard with his own coalition partners. I am glad to state that the electorate had better wisdom than the Left front. (CPI-M).

Cheers man, our kids will have a better future.

Last edited by mmmjgm : 19th May 2009 at 01:04.
Old 19th May 2009, 01:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm
Edit, politically, the western world (read ones with the money) want independence from the middle east oil sources.
Every other Country wants to stop the dependence on Gulf Countries.Especially Saudi Arabia.
Hope the Fuel Cell and other Alternate Technologies become a reality.recession may have slowdown the R&D on these alternate technologies.
Old 19th May 2009, 06:23   #5
BHPian

Those are really good posts deepclutch, mmmjgm, and GasolineJunkie, thank you for contributing. I hope that gasoline never becomes victim of radical fuel prohibition. The US government has initiated "kill the gas guzzler" incentives which pay up to $3,000 for crushing old SUV's and gas consuming vehicles.

This is a step in the direction of banning gasoline as a fuel as it's somewhat radical in logic. I have an extremely personal bond with my Impreza WRX and fear one day my government might try to crush it due to some radical fuel prohibition law or statute.

From a logical standpoint, gasoline should never become illegal because the law of supply and demand. If we can reduce the demand by general public acceptance of alternative fuel technology, then gasoline price should go down due to lack of worldwide demand. So like Gasolinejunkie says about the horses, it will hopefully be true about vehicles. They didn't go around knocking off horses when the car came around, but they are knocking off gasoline vehicles when the EV arrived. This worries me. I love my Impreza!

Last edited by skoloseven : 19th May 2009 at 06:24.
Old 21st July 2009, 00:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoloseven View Post
Those are really good posts deepclutch, mmmjgm, and GasolineJunkie, thank you for contributing. I hope that gasoline never becomes victim of radical fuel prohibition. The US government has initiated "kill the gas guzzler" incentives which pay up to $3,000 for crushing old SUV's and gas consuming vehicles.

This is a step in the direction of banning gasoline as a fuel as it's somewhat radical in logic. I have an extremely personal bond with my Impreza WRX and fear one day my government might try to crush it due to some radical fuel prohibition law or statute.

I love my Impreza!
Each one of us loves a good car experience, however the US$ 3000 redemption (its a redemption not a discount).

The hydrogen cell theory is a nice thing however as honda describes it, it comes from pumped natural gas, once again we depend, however there are emerging technologies and as you all will be aware, Iraq, Afghanistan all happened because there are natural resources next to it.

Hydrogen is the next fuel, thats' the good news, now how will it be marketed.

Cheers
Old 21st July 2009, 03:03   #7
BHPian

There must be a way to develop a synthetic form of gasoline, or a substance similar enough that will work in current engines with no or limited modification.

Most Viewed