Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2005, 12:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

Me and my wife like hanging out in malls, but the only thing we do there is watch movies. For buying clothes it better to get the same stuff at 100bucks rather than pay 699 for a lousy T. People who actually buy at Malls are mostly tourist shoppers. Unless walmart can undercut rates of these small shops which sell quality stuff at 100rs or less, they wont lose. As for groceries, i would rather walk 50 meters to the small shop near my apartment and get stuff rather than drive 2kms and get 1kg onions for 50p less.
Old 7th June 2005, 12:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Schumacher
My aunt in US is a Walmart franchisee....she said that once you go to that place it os so absorbing that there is the slightest possibility of you coming out of there. It is like the Forum Mall in here, once you get in there,there are so many great things that you don't feel like leaving that place.

Wait till you guys get to the point where you drive round and round, looking for parking spaces. One can spend up to half an hour looking for a parking space in the malls here....I prefer the small shops, thank you very much!
Old 28th November 2006, 19:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Bharti, Wal-Mart announce deal- The Economic Times

Here we go. It would be interesting to watch walmart compete with Reliance
Old 28th November 2006, 20:47   #19
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Damn this thread was started in 2005 !!! anyways better late than never for Bharti WALMART
Old 28th November 2006, 21:50   #20
Team-BHP Support

Good. Finally the customer will have option of cheaper stuff. After big bazaar/spencers etc., its a good option!
Old 28th November 2006, 23:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
HARD ROCK CAFE is opening in mumbai in september ...check out the coming soon section of this page 2005...Hard Rock Cafe - Cafes
UPDATE: Hard Rock Cafe is already in Mumbai

I think they had opened it somewhere else before and then closed it within a week because of some legal issues
Old 29th November 2006, 09:54   #22
BHPian

For american market they(Walmart)source stuff from China & India. So, for Indian market where will they source from? Bangladesh?
On a serious note, with Chinese items, they can easily undercut current Indian market rate.

Last edited by sivadas : 29th November 2006 at 09:55.
Old 29th November 2006, 11:07   #23
BHPian

I am not so much of an advocate of the mom and pop stores. They come with their own problems:

1. They generally never give you a discount over MRP (heck, every supermarket chain - Foodworld / BigBazar / Subhiksha, etc keeps throwing in new offer s every week)
2. You do not has as much choice
3. You cannot (most of the times) pay with your card (read an implicit 1% discount via the reward points)
4. Generally, no returns are allowed

And to top it all, most supermarkets these days sells fruits at prices <= street hawkers.. So, you are saved from the hassle of bargaining, etc.. After going through a couple of bad experiences recently with street hawkers, I have become a convert to the Foodworld brand!

I guess it is the same as the era of protected environment in the consumer electronics segment. With the free economy, we have (this is my perception again and I do not have any facts to justify the claim entirely) more choice, better products and cheaper prices.

So, go ahead Walmart.. make my day!
Old 29th November 2006, 11:14   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
For american market they(Walmart)source stuff from China & India. So, for Indian market where will they source from? Bangladesh?
On a serious note, with Chinese items, they can easily undercut current Indian market rate.
Yup they will do so. Nobody except walmart can import from china, its against the law.
Wake up.
Go to the the market
Shop around. You will find so many chinese items in the market. Walmart is just another company coming to India. No big deal
Old 1st December 2006, 12:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Walmart is just another company coming to India. No big deal
If they are going to open SuperCenters like those in US, it will really be a big deal.
Quote:
Shop around. You will find so many chinese items in the market.
You are right, but Walmart can easily sell it at a price lower than those existing.

Most Viewed