Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2009, 11:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

How to secure your ADSL internet router / modem from being hacked

Hi guys of late i have found a sickening problem which had made my internet viewing extremely slow and disheartening, one of my friends who is a Physics and Math professor managed to solve the problem which has made my internet viewing experience enjoyable and safe. That means no distruption in the net connection when you have that important auction going on on Ebay for classic car parts.

He has made a very comprehensive yet succinct set of instructions where if you are facing the same problem you can solve it on your own, its a self help page. The link is as follows.

How to secure your ADSL internet router / modem from being hacked ?(MTNL Protect)?
Old 8th April 2016, 07:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to secure your ADSL internet router / modem from being hacked

Mods please move this post to appropriate section.

I have BSNL Broadband Wifi Modem of Teracom.
Once in while, the username and password get reset to factory settings (default) automatically.

I am unhappy to set the same every 10-15 days. Does my modem need replacement or a software upgrade? When I tried to download the update from Teracom website for software upgrade, the zip file is corrupted. Also I am not able to use Update feature available inside Modem Settings. It gives me an Error.

Please help in this matter.
Old 8th April 2016, 09:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Once in while, the username and password get reset to factory settings (default) automatically.
Upgrade the firmware and see if it solves the problem.
Old 8th April 2016, 11:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Mods please move this post to appropriate section.

I am unhappy to set the same every 10-15 days. Does my modem need replacement or a software upgrade? When I tried to download the update from Teracom website for software upgrade, the zip file is corrupted. Also I am not able to use Update feature available inside Modem Settings. It gives me an Error.

Please help in this matter.
Once the settings are done, take a backup of it. Most routers allows this facility. Then try to download the firmware from the manufacturer's site. And take one more backup. Then if it does get corrupted, its a question of reloading the settings from the backup!!
Old 9th April 2016, 16:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Upgrade the firmware and see if it solves the problem.
After clicking Firmware Upgrade in Admin (as shown in Picture), I get the following Error.
How to secure your ADSL internet router / modem from being hacked-teracom-firm-upgrade-error.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k
Then try to download the firmware from the manufacturer's site. And take one more backup. Then if it does get corrupted, its a question of reloading the settings from the backup!!
While downloading the Upgrade from Teracom website, the following Error is displayed when I click on Type2 ADSL+ (3rd link)
How to secure your ADSL internet router / modem from being hacked-teracom-site-update.jpg
How to secure your ADSL internet router / modem from being hacked-error-getting-after-clicking-download-link.jpg

Anything wrong in this?
Old 8th June 2016, 00:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Username and Password in Modem getting Reset to Default Values

Sorry for reposting the same query again.

Once in while, the username and password get reset to factory settings (default) automatically. Is there no solution on this?
It is a pain to set the same in the modem every 10-15 days.
Experts please suggest a permanent solution to this.
Old 30th August 2016, 09:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

My queries-
1. How to identify when the Modem needs replacement due to end of life or some other internal fault?
2. How to identify whether the Modem or the Telephone Line is responsible for low speed and which need replacement?
3. How many 'joints' at max are acceptable between the Telephone Box (fixed by BSNL outside my house on compound wall) and the "Splitter" (to divert Phone Line and Modem) in our house? I guess ideally it should be zero. But if there are two joints (open and not through the extension-er (lack of word) i.e. the small box as similar to splitter but not splitter would that affect my speed? If yes, how much of that would affect my speed?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 30th August 2016 at 09:33.

Most Viewed