Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2012, 17:09   #1681
JVH
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Which watch do you own?-seiko-lume.jpg

Are you OK with this kind of lume? This is a typical Seiko lume. This isn't my Seiko but mine also exhibits similar glow. The Seiko divers are in 10k-20k range. Citizens are also in the similar range but you may get cheaper if you look around.

Here's the Pilot lume. It serves the purpose IMO.

Which watch do you own?-pilot-lume.jpg

Pics - courtesy www.
Old 26th October 2012, 17:56   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Attachment 1006051

Are you OK with this kind of lume? This is a typical Seiko lume. This isn't my Seiko but mine also exhibits similar glow. The Seiko divers are in 10k-20k range. Citizens are also in the similar range but you may get cheaper if you look around.

JVH, can you please post the model number of this? I am not able to find this anywhere online though looking like this from very long time.
Old 26th October 2012, 18:09   #1683
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
JVH, can you please post the model number of this? I am not able to find this anywhere online though looking like this from very long time.
SKX031.

Mine is SE-SNZF05 if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-seiko3.jpg  

Old 26th October 2012, 18:57   #1684
BHPian

Quote:
SKX031.

Mine is SE-SNZF05 if it helps.

Thank you JVH. No able to find it anywhere :-(
Old 26th October 2012, 20:06   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
After Shell petrol pump on Bellary road near Mekhri circle.
is it the Shell pump near HMT Bhavan / Four Seasons hotel?

Quote:
He did buy them from Unity building, MG Road.
You meant Unity building, JC Road right?
Old 26th October 2012, 22:52   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb

Well, I haven't observed it closely, but according to me, it glows with the same intensity irrespective of whether it's been in the box for several days, or if I have worn it continuously for some time. The brightness of the glow is also quite good, meaning, you won't have to squint to read what time it is when it's dark

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks Vikramji.
LUMIBRITE seems to be the answer to my queries. Is it present even in 5 series? Or do watches with LUMIBRITE have it specified somewhere? If this can keep the light stored and emit for 8 hours then all my needs are solved.

I guess within the budget, Seiko offers very good options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH

Are you OK with this kind of lume? This is a typical Seiko lume.
Here's the Pilot lume. It serves the purpose IMO.
That seiko looks brilliant. Is that a Seiko diver? The 5 series that I saw in the showroom had plain jane dials without any luminance. I love this design in the pic.

The Pilot looks gorgeous. Sir but does the lume stay on for a few hours before it dies?

Thanks again for advising a newbie like this sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide

is it the Shell pump near HMT Bhavan / Four Seasons hotel?
Yes. I don't know about the Four seasons hotel, but its the HMT Bhavan itself where you get the watches.
Old 26th October 2012, 23:42   #1687
Senior - BHPian

For anyone interested , Watchkart has a sale on right now which goes upto about 40% on certain watches , while brand such as Seiko are in the 10% range i saw some esprit lines which carried 30-35% off.
Old 27th October 2012, 02:48   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vikramji.
LUMIBRITE seems to be the answer to my queries. Is it present even in 5 series? Or do watches with LUMIBRITE have it specified somewhere? If this can keep the light stored and emit for 8 hours then all my needs are solved.

I guess within the budget, Seiko offers very good options.

That seiko looks brilliant. Is that a Seiko diver? The 5 series that I saw in the showroom had plain jane dials without any luminance. I love this design in the pic.

The Pilot looks gorgeous. Sir but does the lume stay on for a few hours before it dies?

Thanks again for advising a newbie like this sir

Yes. I don't know about the Four seasons hotel, but its the HMT Bhavan itself where you get the watches.
FWIW, here is my experience - I have a Fastrack (analog+digita) that has luminescent hands as well as screen. I love this particular watch and its been one of my favs, thought none of their other models have appealed to me. Even the second hand has a dot of luminescent paint on it (imp. for me). I'v not had an issue with reading the time off it yet. But I guess in pitch darkness it may be an issue if it hasn't absorbed enough light. In this scenario you can fall back on the digital dial. You just need to press the light button and the dial will glow beautifully, but for a just a couple seconds. Its pretty similar to that on Timex Indiglow, but I feel the Indiglow looks better. However the Indiglows also glow only for a couple of seconds after pressing the button. I'd really like them to glow longer, but its enough for telling the time quickly. I have an old Timex without Indiglow, but the hands usually glow enough to tell the time without too much difficulty. My Casio Edfice's hands also glow if they have had a chance to absorb enough light. But it has no dial luminescence or LED light to fall back on if it does not. The second hand has no luminescence. My Casio Terrorist Watch screen has a simple LED light. So all these watches are good to not-bad for telling time in total darkness or fairly low light areas. The worst watch for this is one which has gold plated hands. No chance of telling the time off this one even in low light areas. In fact its this watch that made me always think of this issue when buying a watch.
Old 27th October 2012, 09:43   #1689
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

You meant Unity building, JC Road right?
He did mention Unity building. I got confused with Utility building on MG road. So, yes this must be on JC road.

Quote:

It is one of the divers from Seiko. Like I said earlier in this thread, you can't beat the value offered by Seiko. It applies to any price range from them. They have one of the best watch making set ups next or similar to Swatch group. They only get beaten in terms of branding and prestige compared to their Swiss/German/French counterparts.

To be frank, I haven't checked how long the lume lasts on the Pilot. Its been a long time I went to theatres now ;-)

And you can please go easy on thanks and sirs. We are all here to learn.
Old 27th October 2012, 18:33   #1690
BHPian

Bought the Pilot from HMT's Jalahalli showroom. Rs.786/- after 15% discount on MRP. Thanks zipkill.
3 more pieces available at this outlet as of 5.00 pm today. 6 pieces arrived today morning, it seems.
"Big demand for pilot saar" said the lady there.

It is "not in stock" at JCRoad outlet. HMT Bhavan was closed.
It is available without discount at BVK Iyengar & CMH road Titan dealers (one piece only at both places)

Since i could choose between 4 pieces, inspected each one minutely under sun light. Do look out for dust specs on dial, inside of glass dome and minute scratches on glass dome. The one i chose seemed to be the best - only 2 dust specs on dial
Clearly a watch made to a strict budget. I bought it for the novelty of a hand wound watch and also since HMT watches may soon become history.

Last edited by WindRide : 27th October 2012 at 18:37.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:57   #1691
Distinguished - BHPian

Few more that rotate.
A year old Kenneth cole, a being human wall clock, and the third one I am especially proud of.
Its a 12 year old G-shock, has had one battery change, and has been to absolute hell and back, from college days to now.
and has now lost the face rubber covering.
Can anyone tell me where to source this?
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-dsc_02881.jpg  

Old 29th October 2012, 13:16   #1692
BHPian

Are HMT Janata non-art deco models (devanagiri script) still being sold / available anywhere? Please help , want to buy. Dont like the modern Janata with the art work.
Old 29th October 2012, 13:19   #1693
Senior - BHPian

@Mayankk: Have you checked with the Casio service center? For old models they will source parts from Tokyo at a cost of course and get it good as new

Will have to wait for at least a month though. Give them a call.
Old 29th October 2012, 15:41   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Are HMT Janata non-art deco models (devanagiri script) still being sold / available anywhere? Please help , want to buy. Dont like the modern Janata with the art work.
There are various versions of the Janata. Some have English script, some Hindi. Some have numbers printed at the 4 compass points, some dont. Some have a red centre-second, some dont. If you mean an old Janata like in Gansan's post, keep in touch with old Mr. Shetty of the Lakshmi watch shop in Unity Building. Give him your contact details, he calls without fail when something turns up. I picked up 6 watches, some new and some old, from him a few days ago. Very likeable old man. Gives special discounts if you bring the missus along

Also, has anyone compared the casebacks of the old and new HMT watches? The new ones are relatively plain, no numbers stamped and all.

Will try to click and post some good pics of my watches soon.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 29th October 2012, 22:44   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
It is one of the divers from Seiko..

To be frank, I haven't checked how long the lume lasts on the Pilot. Its been a long time I went to theatres now ;-)

And you can please go easy on thanks and sirs. We are all here to learn.
So I went in search of the Pilot since I liked it lume. Not to be found in HMT bhavan and other places. They said pieces were sold off as soon as they came to the store. Got desperate enough. Learnt that there is an HMT watch factory on NH4. However their factory outlet is in Tumkur. And I got lucky this time. Only two pilots were there and I took the better of the two, after checking them out.
Which watch do you own?-p2.jpg
You can see a bit of imperfection on the hour hand, but I was too desperate to let it go.

There was only one piece of the Janta and it was in English script. Didn't like that. Then found Jhalak
Attachment 1007678.
She's a beauty. Changed the strap to a brown one from the default jazzy type. And she fit perfectly on my wrist. That window to watch the movements - I can't stop looking at it everytime Im wearing the watch.

Two watches cost me 1700rs approx. with a 15% discount, of which I wasnt aware. But was glad I could lay my hands on these two.

Can you advise me on what straps would best suit these two watches? These straps are too thin, and I'd feel comfortable with a strap similar to my Edifice.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the staff at HMT were really very friendly even though this was my first time experience at an HMT outlet. Too bad if they are going out of business :(

Next target - Seiko 5 SNZF11K1. Heading to Ethos on the next opportunity to see if they can source it.

JVH and ComfortablyNumb thanks for guiding me through the whole process.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-pilot.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-jhalak.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks