Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2013, 15:54   #1921
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Reason for asking is, I have recently bought an ALBA with VD53-006 caliber through Watchkart sale.
Not sure if its genuine sieko derived movement, Japanese or Chinese.

The SEIKO 7S25/26 are chinese movements, the 7S35/36 are Japanese. These are the usual ones. Dont know which one your watch has.

See for similar markings on the movement.

Best,
Tapish
Old 23rd March 2013, 17:19   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway
Guys, What is the best known watch brand in the world
This is an extremely open yet a very interesting and debatable question. Its like asking what is the best known automobile brand in the world! My top 3 from each segment as I describe them:

In terms of ultra high end luxury (supercars - eg: Aventador, F12 and the likes)
Patek Philippe
Audemars Piguet
A Lange & Sohne

In terms of very high end (sportscars - eg: 458, Gallardo)
JLC
Rolex

In terms of high end (luxury cars - eg: 7 series, S Class)
Omega
Breitling

There are obviously many other brands that I have not captured (Panerai, Tag, Breguet, Ulysse Nardin, Cartier, Hublot, Franck Muller etc).

My personal choices so please feel free to differ!

Last edited by Brabus E V12 : 23rd March 2013 at 17:21.
Old 23rd March 2013, 20:47   #1923
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Best known watch brand in the world - I assume to the common man. It has to be Rolex. Almost everyone who sees an expensive watch asks...Is that a Rolex? Is that original? Wow!

Best watch brand for me - Jaeger LeCoultre. They have almost everything to offer and are masters in complications. I have never heard anything but true quality on their products. Next in the list - A Lange & Sohne. Awesome range and awesome finishing and decorations on their movements. I also like Glashutte Original.

Now this will be a surprise - I also love Seiko. They are a brand which are well known across the world. They have everything a watch manufacturer could aspire to be. Less than $200 automatics, quartz, mid range SAARBs, high end Grand Seikos, marine master and tuna divers, spring drive technology, mass produced and hand crafted and what not. A true watch company in every sense. This is also a well respected brand.

There are many more which are popular and have history associated like PP, AP, Omega, Panerai, Breitling, IWC, Hublot, Ulysse Nardin, Hermes, Cartier, Longines, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet, Blancpain, Zenith and a whole lot more. Am sure folks here will chime in with each brand's USP.

I guess it boils down to taste and choice. Quartz/Automatics/Hand wind , in house/ETAs/Valijoux, hand crafted/built by state of the art tools...etc.

IMO, below post by Brabus categorizes the brands pretty well.

Last edited by JVH : 23rd March 2013 at 20:49.
Old 24th March 2013, 00:23   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
That's a very vague question? . You mean just by brand recall ? I would say Rolex/Casio? But to a watch lover,it will be AP/Patek?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Obviously, Patek Philippe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post

In terms of ultra high end luxury (supercars - eg: Aventador, F12 and the likes)
Patek Philippe
Audemars Piguet
A Lange & Sohne

In terms of very high end (sportscars - eg: 458, Gallardo)
JLC
Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Best known watch brand in the world - I assume to the common man. It has to be Rolex. Almost everyone who sees an expensive watch asks...Is that a Rolex? Is that original? Wow!

There are many more which are popular and have history associated like PP, AP, Omega, Panerai, Breitling, IWC, Hublot, Ulysse Nardin, Hermes, Cartier, Longines, Vacheron Constantin, Breguet, Blancpain, Zenith and a whole lot more. Am sure folks here will chime in with each brand's USP.

Guys,

Point 1: You have already answered directly or indirectly on your replies, I don't think we could separate the name (brand awareness) Rolex from any watch discussion

Point 2: The mass sales figures also makes a watch brand well known just not by people from developed nation or heavier pocket but reachability to common man. In that sense I see Seiko, Casio and Titan a major brand of the world as in numbers many people are aware of these brands.

Patek Philips is another brand that collectively everyone agreed that the brand is the top most in the luxury terms.

Once again this is my observation, Rolex is not the best technology that everyone talked in horology terms but it is still a popular upscale watch and also the brand withholds its cult brand awareness continuously since inception even after waves of technology changes. This brand without much changes into model line up or moment used, still the well received brand in the world in spite of even large sales increase. anyone differ?

Last edited by trammway : 24th March 2013 at 00:36.
Old 24th March 2013, 02:10   #1925
BANNED

Quote:
What's the point if one's not fanatical, right?

OMEGA !! The Greatest watch company in the world. If James Bond wanted to go to the moon, he would pick an Omega. But he would have to switch from Seamaster to Speedmaster. Doesn't matter. Omega is the greatest watch brand in the world. !!!

Cheers
Old 24th March 2013, 02:19   #1926
BHPian

Quote:

Best watch brand for me - Jaeger LeCoultre.
Quote:
Once again this is my observation, Rolex is not the best technology that everyone talked in horology terms but it is still a popular upscale watch and also the brand withholds its cult brand awareness continuously since inception even after waves of technology changes. This brand without much changes into model line up or moment used, still the well received brand in the world in spite of even large sales increase. anyone differ?
Thanks JVH.

I would agree that Rolex is the most "known" watch brand in the world. Literally everyone knows Rolex. I personally don't like Rolex as I find it a bit ostentatious however that is only my personal opinion.

For me the best watch brand is JLC. I cannot take my eyes off the Ultra Moon 39!
Old 24th March 2013, 03:01   #1927
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Agree. I think this is also the reason why many people DONT buy a Rolex.Too common in numbers for a premium product.

I respect Rolex for its branding/marketing qualities and history rather than as a watch manufacture lately since hardly any innovation.But then, Not easy to sell 800,000 watches that cost an average price of USD5000 and still make the brand desirable.

Rolex Submariner is the watch to have , but then when I read that Rolex copied it off Blancpain Fifty Fathoms ,I now want a FF.

The problem in India and Middle East is the lack of used watch trading outlets/websites. N

Last edited by artofzen : 24th March 2013 at 03:03.
Old 24th March 2013, 03:02   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
OMEGA !! The Greatest watch company in the world.
JLC, Omega, Tag Heuer, PP, AP, Ulysse Nardin, Panerai and few others are truly unique and due credits to their respective contribution. There is also a Cartier brand that is famous for their design and now Montblanc joins the Cartier path and bit successful recently.

I personally have more than 8 Omega watches now and every time I look at their new or old model the presentation is very unique and attractive. I love few of the Tag Heuer models (like Carrera line up and the pendulum wrist watch) but I do have person dislike about Tag and Seiko both often copy their dial and watch face to follow Rolex or any other successful competitor's design loose their uniqueness.

Some of the Ulysse models are great and very tempting but as a brand, I do not see Ulysse is close to any successful name in the market.

Zenith is another phenomena and I really don't see outside a closed circle, be it in India or elsewhere in the world Zenith has not really holding a major market share. But what is important about this company is that even Rolex Daytona models were one time running Zenith movment and lots of other Russian and German watches were powered by Zenith mechanism. I like some of their beautifully complicated dials :-)

Quote:
Rolex Submariner is the watch to have , but then when I read that Rolex copied it off Blancpain Fifty Fathoms ,I now want a FF.

The problem in India and Middle East is the lack of used watch trading outlets/websites. N
I doubt if that could be the truth, because the blancpain FF is a chronograph model and looks closer to the Omega speedmaster. May the this needs further reading and we need to go back date.

Also if you really interested to buy a FF, I think you can buy brand new watch from ethos watches in India who has a very good network of retail store and particularly the discount glitter.

Last edited by trammway : 24th March 2013 at 03:08.
Old 24th March 2013, 09:44   #1929
Team-BHP Support

Rolex probably is the best known watch brand in the world. Personally I am not a fan though. I find it a bit too conservative and boring.

But I am not sure if a specific brand can be considered as the best though. As many mentioned above, there are quite a few good brands to choose from. I find Longines quite nice and affordable, have a soft corner for TAG Monaco, and really like some of the timepieces from Breitling and IWC.

Quote:
I doubt if that could be the truth, because the blancpain FF is a chronograph model and looks closer to the Omega speedmaster. May the this needs further reading and we need to go back date.
Probably some design elements are crossing over because both these brands (Blancpain and Omega) are owned by the same group.
Old 24th March 2013, 10:56   #1930
JVH
Senior - BHPian

This thread has suddenly come alive!

Quote:

Quote:

I would agree that Rolex is the most "known" watch brand in the world. Literally everyone knows Rolex. I personally don't like Rolex as I find it a bit ostentatious however that is only my personal opinion.
Rolex watches are also true mechanical work horses with proven reliability and pretty accurate for mechanical timepieces. But due credit to their marketing and advertising brains who have created such a powerful brand awareness. And they are able to market because their products deliver and have proven track records. I too am not a fan of any of their line up. Product wise I feel other products in every segment are as much better if not more. artofzen is very right that most people don't buy Rolex because it is so common. And there are so many homages to the submariner and explorer models. But its a brand to stay and stay long.

Quote:

For me the best watch brand is JLC. I cannot take my eyes off the Ultra Moon 39!
It's my grail watch for now :-)
But am blowing up my savings to buy this and that watch, not sure when I can realize it. So many watches, only 2 wrists and so little time ;-)

Quote:

Quote:

Well, FF comes both in chrono and non-chrono options. But I don't see much resemblance there. IMO, Blancpain's quality is way up and the design is so much pleasing.
Old 24th March 2013, 14:20   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rolex watches are also true mechanical work horses with proven reliability and pretty accurate for mechanical timepieces. But due credit to their marketing and advertising brains who have created such a powerful brand awareness. And they are able to market because their products deliver and have proven track records.

You know what this one of the reason I still admire Rolex for their product line. The mechanical movement is consistently same and that makes the parts and repairability of those watches possible even for those came out during 1950s.

I do have a Rolex 18k day-date (president) with bark finish bracelet on my wrist and another a datejust 18k and SS watch.

Here is a few pictures of my president the time test boring look of Rolex Day Date
Which watch do you own?-dsc01551.jpg

Which watch do you own?-dsc01552.jpg

Which watch do you own?-dsc01557.jpg

Which watch do you own?-dsc01558.jpg

Which watch do you own?-dsc01560.jpg

Which watch do you own?-dsc01561.jpg

Which watch do you own?-dsc01550-copy.jpg

Will try to take some pics of my datejust in few days as I couldn't access the pictures from the hard disk.

The last picture above is just a comparison between the Omega Constellation against the Rolex president.
Old 24th March 2013, 18:49   #1932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH
This thread has suddenly come alive!

It's my grail watch for now :-)
But am blowing up my savings to buy this and that watch, not sure when I can realize it. So many watches, only 2 wrists and so little time ;-)
Same here, its my grail watch as well! :-) Silver case and black strap.

I have seen a lot of people who buy Rolex simply because its the most well known and expensive brand. People looking at your hand can immediately make out that its a Rolex. Again each to their own as I personally do not like a flashy approach. I somehow love JLC as their watches are very understated. A bit like buying an Alfa Romeo instead of a BMW!

Another very interesting thing ive noticed is that Rado is quite highly rated in India and even amongst us Indians living abroad specially in the 40-50+ age bracket. A black ceramic Rado certainly seems to be the watch to have. My dad and dad-in-law who are both in their fifties love it. I somehow never liked Rado but would love to hear other opinions as well.
Old 25th March 2013, 00:15   #1933
BHPian

I don't know about rest of India,but in Kerala ,Rado is very popular.especially as a wedding gift watch.

I feel Hublot is gaining acceptance among genX watch buyers who wants a flashy watch. They would have gone for Rolex earlier but now Hublot is a strong contender.

Hublot's marketing/branding department is as good as Rolex. For a company founded in 1980,they are holding their own against the brands with heritage and history.

But I am not a big fan of black watches.

@trammway - I prefer day date models to my date just. Something more serious about that

Last edited by artofzen : 25th March 2013 at 00:19.
Old 25th March 2013, 07:10   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@trammway - I prefer day date models to my date just. Something more serious about that
You know what to avoid this confusion I picked both and still keeping my wish list open for a Daytona or Submariner :-)
Old 25th March 2013, 08:08   #1935
JVH
Senior - BHPian

trammway - good looking watch but no offense, I don't like gold and rose gold watches. I do like the President but Stainless Steel is just fine.

The success behind Hublot is the man behind the brand himself - Jean-Claude Biver. Great marketing drive. Just look at the ambassadors they signed up in the last decade. He was also responsible for resurrecting Blancpain to an extent. No offense again, but I just don't get along the looks of any Hublot.

Good observations on Rado. Its very popular but am not sure of the reasons. Specially among of the women folks with the ceramics and diamonds combo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks