Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2015, 22:28   #2656
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Wanted to satisfy a JLC Reverso craving for the time being, so got a Rotary Evolution series reversible watch. The good points are that its indeed Swiss-made (possibly with a quartz Ronda movement) at a very low cost, comes with lifetime warranty (subject to 36 month service) and the quality is great for the price. The white dial features guilloche pattern with date function & alternative numeral indicators while the other side is a black dial with circular positional pattern with seconds hand as well. Each side has their respective adjustment crowns to their right side thus making it dual-time zone as well if needed. The dials sit on a base-plate of the case with its own guilloche design. Its waterproof to 3 bar so that's just terminology to say that its splash-proof. The way to change the dial is a lift-rotate-press motion which has a satisfactory metallic clink when it goes into place. It follows the rectangular art-deco style and quite well I should say, the brown faux-alligator-pattern strap though thick wraps quite smoothly around the wrist. The lock is a butterfly system which takes some getting used to compared to a single-fold clasp but solid nonetheless. The case is a wee bit thick but adds nicely to its presence as rectangle watches do not nearly spread out as much as round ones. Good value for someone looking for something different.

Which watch do you own?-gs90023_18_041.jpg

Last edited by dark.knight : 9th November 2015 at 22:36.
Old 12th November 2015, 08:29   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Finally got my hands on the Black Pilot. She's a beautiful, simple and light-weight watch, and the only thing she needs is a better Strap. For now, here she is, in her OEM Glory.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-_20151112_081210.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2015, 01:29   #2658
BHPian

My latest additions.. Breitling Navitimer and a Tag Heuer Carrera. Recently got these two.. The Tag, Beauty and the Breitling, The Beast. Thrilled.. Very thrilled.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-sathya1.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-sathya8.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2015, 02:32   #2659
BHPian

Anybody has any info if the HMT Jhalak, HMT Kaushal and HMT Pilot in white are available anywhere?
Old 23rd November 2015, 04:54   #2660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
My latest additions.. Breitling Navitimer and a Tag Heuer Carrera. Recently got these two.. The Tag, Beauty and the Breitling, The Beast. Thrilled.. Very thrilled.
Wow, those two cost a fortune. Correct me if I am wrong, you could buy a decent hatchback with that money.
Old 23rd November 2015, 08:02   #2661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Very nice. I love the Breitling. I have the Navitimer SE, my first exclusive watch.

The prices of these watches go up every year. The average Navitimer retails for probably 1.5 times the price for which I bought mine some 10-12 years ago. Same for second hand prices. Not that I would want to sell, but it is satisfying to know good watches keep their value.

Jeroen
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:44   #2662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Wow, those two cost a fortune. Correct me if I am wrong, you could buy a decent hatchback with that money.
Thats true. However I wanted to buy a Breitling for long and that got fulfilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Very nice. I love the Breitling. I have the Navitimer SE, my first exclusive watch.

The prices of these watches go up every year. The average Navitimer retails for probably 1.5 times the price for which I bought mine some 10-12 years ago. Same for second hand prices. Not that I would want to sell, but it is satisfying to know good watches keep their value.

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen. Its great to know that you also own a Breitling Navitimer. Its a timeless design.

I believe atleast the Breitling will hold its value for long. With watch prices going north every year, this will retain atleast 50% of the value even after 10 yrs. Who knows, 50% might be same as the full value that I paid now to get it!!

At the end of the day, I am happy.
Old 23rd November 2015, 21:58   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats true. However I wanted to buy a Breitling for long and that got fulfilled.
Ah, the feeling of ticking boxes of the bucket list.

I had similar feeling when I got my first bike, CBR 250. Parents where against the idea of me buying a bike. They didn't help me financially, I have to buy with my own cash. My mom was worried but I promised her that I will wear the protective gear all the time. It saved me during my only fall from the bike.

Here is that accident details

Coming back to watches, loved those shots. Well deserved shots for the special watches. Would love to see your other watch collections.
Old 24th November 2015, 06:59   #2664
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Any feedback on the Apple Watch Guys?
I am considering it but I just feel odd to shell out nearly a 1000 USD for what is after all an electronic gadget which requires to be upgraded now and then...
I place a lot of value on the lovely automatic or mechanical Swiss watches in comparison to this.
But the Apple watch seems a nice little gadget to have...
Old 24th November 2015, 07:54   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
The watches look fabulous

The raybans compliment the Breitling to a T.

Oh, awesome photography by the way.

Quote:

For diving it needs to state at least 200m, even if you only go down to 12m. Stupid system, I know, but there you are!

Jeroen
Thank you for this info, I always assumed my 200m diver can be taken upto 200m underwater.

Last edited by batterylow : 24th November 2015 at 08:02. Reason: Additional data
Old 24th November 2015, 08:30   #2666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am considering it but I just feel odd to shell out nearly a 1000 USD for what is after all an electronic gadget which requires to be upgraded now and then...
I place a lot of value on the lovely automatic or mechanical Swiss watches in comparison to this.
I know what you feel. I have been pondering on this a while as well. I’m on a business trip next week to the USA and I might just get the sport version. At $400 that is still doable. Need to stop by at the Apple shop as various collegues have put in requests to look for certain Apple bits!

Jeroen
Old 24th November 2015, 08:46   #2667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know what you feel. I have been pondering on this a while as well.
I thought the same. But I dont think I will make the shift. I will rest with the old world of perpetual motion.

The phone itself is enough headache to keep it charged! Will stick to my Ecodrives and Pathfinder.
Old 24th November 2015, 09:24   #2668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ye, it indeed, is a very nice gadget to have.

But, a Rolex is a Rolex.
Old 24th November 2015, 10:43   #2669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Ye, it indeed, is a very nice gadget to have.

But, a Rolex is a Rolex.

Maybe, but I don't like Rolex. It is the prime example of an A brand that is actually a product for the masses. A very high end product, but never the less a product for the masses. Every jeweller in any high street in any town anywhere in the world will be pushing Rolexes. They are a common item these days.

Mind you just about all the watches we are discussing here are mass produced including my beloved Breitling. But I can honestly say that to date I have never come across a person with my Breitling Navitimer SE. Finding a jeweller that carries a good selection of Breitlings is a lot harder then finding a Rolex dealer. So I like think it is more rare then some other watches. That is of course just one way of looking at it admittedly! Others might argue they are less popular, but then again I have been accused of many things, but rarely I take sides with popularity.

Although superbly engineered I'm not a fan of any of their styles or designs, a little bit to bling for my taste. Of course taste is very personal.

My eldest son but his first Rolex a little while ago. He loves it! And that is true for my watches as well. I enjoy them every day and that is the only thing that counts I guess.
Jeroen
Old 24th November 2015, 21:23   #2670
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Maybe, but I don't like Rolex. It is the prime example of an A brand that is actually a product for the masses. A very high end product, but never the less a product for the masses. Every jeweller in any high street in any town anywhere in the world will be pushing Rolexes. They are a common item these days.

Mind you just about all the watches we are discussing here are mass produced including my beloved Breitling. But I can honestly say that to date I have never come across a person with my Breitling Navitimer SE. Finding a jeweller that carries a good selection of Breitlings is a lot harder then finding a Rolex dealer. So I like think it is more rare then some other watches. That is of course just one way of looking at it admittedly! Others might argue they are less popular, but then again I have been accused of many things, but rarely I take sides with popularity.

Although superbly engineered I'm not a fan of any of their styles or designs, a little bit to bling for my taste. Of course taste is very personal.

My eldest son but his first Rolex a little while ago. He loves it! And that is true for my watches as well. I enjoy them every day and that is the only thing that counts I guess.
Jeroen

I like the Oyster Perpetual Datejust, the Submariner and my favourite just has to be the Milgauss with the Greeny Jade coloured dial.
I haven't got one of these yet but it is definitely on my list. Maybe pre-owned even.
For the moment, I have my eye on Frederique Constant - some of their designs are very nice.
I would aspire to a Panerai one day too.
But for just now, I shall have to be content with those few lovely Automatics and Mechanical Watches of some of the great marques, which I do have including
an old Omega Seamaster - 1963 from my Dad, a very old mechanical Patek of my Grand-dads, a Seamaster James Bond watch, a Breitling Colt and a very old Vacheron of my Grand-dad's.

Most Viewed