Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2017, 14:16   #3061
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooraj.naik View Post
I have got a query. I've never owned a watch before. I have got a budget of around $8,500 to buy a watch. What would be your suggestions? Which brand/ model is known to hold the resale value?
Some below your budget too:
Omega speedmaster- simply cannot go wrong with this
Rolex submariner- please do check out the green dial ones
Grand seiko ( spring drive ones)- don't strike off without taking a good look at it in person

In my limited understanding, Best resale would be rolex
Old 18th July 2017, 01:32   #3062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have got a query. I've never owned a watch before. I have got a budget of around $8,500 to buy a watch. What would be your suggestions? Which brand/ model is known to hold the resale value?
If that is the budget and since it seems that you are buying for yourself and as an achievement timepiece of sorts why even bother for resale? Some of the worst, bloated brands hold resale for that poser value. Yes world over Rolexes hold the value the best but I wouldn't call a Rolex even remotely good by any stretch of imagination. Some real "prestige" choices will be :

- Blancpain Villeret Ultraplate (100 hour power reserve) and a brand that is over 250 years old. I think this has a solid gold rotor but not sure if its PVD.

- Jaquet Droz Grande Seconde - I think some entry models of Grande Seconde will come just about within budget but a slight stretch is worth it too, its way above Rolex and Omega and the likes.

- IWC Portuguese Chrono - Some entry level models are ETA based movement (not in-house) but don't let that fool you.. they completely modify the movement, the rotor and change the jewels and balance-wheel to IWC spec. As a manufacturer it has much more inventions than Rolex and is a couple of leagues higher too.

- Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control - The highest rated brand in this short list.. some even say above Patek quality at entry level pricing.. this brand will also command higher resale than the above 3. As a movement maker none are more accomplished than JLC.. none.

- Cartier Drive de Cartier - Its cheap, it has in-house movement and its a relatively known brand with a unique cushion case design. Frankly the thought that Cartier is a haute joaillerie brands puts me off but its still good. Different from the same old brands.

Also do factor in the potential service costs every 5 years (since you're new to the world of high end watches) approx $500-800 depending on brand and complexity of movement. So maintaining them is a white elephant affair. Rolex will give the best resale for sure but its not a brand that I'll ever recommend.
Old 18th July 2017, 08:15   #3063
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, if it's your first good watch, I would suggest sticking to a Rolex Submariner or Datejust. They are extremely popular and hold their value extremely well. If you prefer to be discreet, you could look at watches from IWC and JLC. Sure, there are other companies that will give you a better 'bang for our buck', however, I always recommend sticking with the popular brand and models for first timers.

As for servicing, yeah they do cost a pretty penny, but I wouldn't worry about the 5 year rule. Unless you planning diving with your watch often, you can easily keep them running for 7-10 years before bothering to get them serviced (I say this from experience).
Old 18th July 2017, 15:34   #3064
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Received this Timex watch as a gift!

Which watch do you own?-tim.jpg
Old 18th July 2017, 16:04   #3065
BHPian

I have a 2010 timex automatic, 2002 fossil, 2014 Swatch.

All watches given up for the Fitbit Charge 2
Old 18th July 2017, 16:34   #3066
BHPian

One of my favorites - "Allwyn Automatic", which I inherited from my father and I still use.

If I remember right, he got this around the year 1987!

This watch has never visited a service center, except for a strap change some time back.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-20170718_162154.jpg  

Old 18th July 2017, 16:45   #3067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Has anyone here bought watches from The Prime - Luxury Watch Boutique? If so, how has been your experience compared to say Ethos? ......interested in an Oris Aquis.
Not sure about Prime, but I have picked up 3 from Ethos so far, they always surprised me with their prices and discounts. Its good to compare both and decide. I feel Ethos might offer you a better price, don't take the website prices for comparison. Aquis is a tempting design, I got promotional emails few times, hands are itching, but I got into running and Garmin is taking the lead lately

Last edited by shajufx : 18th July 2017 at 16:46.
Old 18th July 2017, 17:36   #3068
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I have picked up 3 from Ethos so far, they always surprised me with their prices and discounts.
What kind of discounts did you manage to get from Ethos? I got around 25% off on a Raymond Weil which i purchased last month. This was due to pre-GST sale, i doubt they'll be offering discounts in that range otherwise except maybe a slow moving product which hasn't moved from their shelf since a very long time!

Quote:
Aquis is a tempting design, I got promotional emails few times
I too have got those promotional emails, if all goes well plan to buy it next year.
Old 18th July 2017, 17:40   #3069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What kind of discounts did you manage to get from Ethos? ....
Not sure in the % category, but it was always lower than online stores and duty free outlets whichever I checked and compared. If you are eying at Aquis, have a check on the TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45 too.

Last edited by shajufx : 18th July 2017 at 17:42.
Old 18th July 2017, 17:40   #3070
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
What kind of discounts did you manage to get from Ethos? I got around 25% off on a Raymond Weil which i purchased last month. This was due to pre-GST sale, i doubt they'll be offering discounts in that range otherwise except maybe a slow moving product which hasn't moved from their shelf since a very long time!

I too have got those promotional emails, if all goes well plan to buy it next year.
I managed 20% discount on an latest Raymond Weil from Ethos two years back.

Have bought around 5-6 watches from them so far and have discounts ranging from 20-30% on different brands.
Old 18th July 2017, 19:17   #3071
BHPian

My humble watch collection. From L-R

Citizen Automatic - Again inherited from my dad. Might be around 35 years old. Need some repair as the glass is broken

Fastrack

Titan

Timex

Titan

Fossil
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-20170718_191013.jpg  

Old 19th July 2017, 14:41   #3072
BANNED

I remember having a 1955-566 Timex, Mickey Mouse, with a winding movement. At one time when we wanted it to be serviced the local watch maker refused to service it. It was considered infra, dig.
Old 24th July 2017, 19:25   #3073
Senior - BHPian

I wished for a G Shock since 5 years but always found them too big for my wrist whenever I tried. Happened to see the GulfMaster specs and felt it might suit my hand well and I was right. Another pick from Ethos and very happy with the experience. Although my order was online, a shipping from their Chandigarh office would take 7 days or more, so I opted a pick up from Orion Mall store, as I could also wear it and recheck before the final decision. Unlike my other watches, this is going to be an 'always on wrist' because of its light weight and multiple features.

Things I liked:

1. Thermometer : Its very accurate (cross checked with room thermometer and google numbers)
2. Altimeter : Very accurate (Bangalore is 3020 feet above sea level and it shows exactly that and varies when I climb up to higher floors with an approximate value of 10 feet per floor)
3. Barometer : Seems in line with the official info per day.
4. Tide Graph : Shows the same value of the nearest coast.
5. World Time : 29 time zones, I pick London time as I work on UK hours.
6. Stop watch, Timer, 5 Alarms, LED light, Compass, After Glow, Solar Power
7. Triple Sensor, 200 M water resistance, Moon Age, Auto Calendar

I had a plan to own a Rolex before year end, but now with the Garmin ( I run with my group) and G Shock taking turns, there is no point looking at something just for its snob value, specially what I want is nothing less than Datejust golden. So, I wont have it unless a client wishes to put it on my wrist
Which watch do you own?-gwn1000b.png
Old 25th July 2017, 15:17   #3074
Senior - BHPian

I was looking for my first Automatic watch and it had to be 38mm atleast, no bigger, so it sits right on my rather petite wrists and one that does not break the bank!
Enter Kickstarter. I know many purists hate all the "kickstarter watches" that promise to offer quality timepieces "without the luxury mark-up" and sans the heritage, but I couldn't get this one watch out of my head!
It was from a small Swedish firm called Boetti and it boasted of being the World's First 36mm Automatic Watch under $400. The Kickstarter campaign had it on for $198 for the first 50 pieces and then $220, with free world-wide shipping.
Showed it to the girlfriend and she said I cannot drop that kind of money on a Kickstarter watch. I was very sad.
Fast forward to October 1 2016, my birthday, and guess what she gifts me? Yup, the same watch I so longed for a few months ago and thought would never own! But as all Kicstarter campaigns, the watch was delivered to me 4 months late in December as opposed to the promised delivery in August made during the campaign.
Had to pay ₹2700 something IIRC as import duty. She came in a simple carboard box but within a really nice suede pouch.
Here she is in all her glory-
Which watch do you own?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1500975618.985896.jpg
Which watch do you own?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1500975632.636398.jpg
Which watch do you own?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1500975647.696269.jpg
Which watch do you own?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1500975661.901292.jpg
Which watch do you own?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1500975673.342011.jpg
I don't know much or anything about watches. All I know is a beautiful timepiece when I see one. I like the look of it, I try to buy it. Been wearing it regularly since December and have not faced any problem whatsoever so far. Touchwood.
So I will leave the specs with the experts to judge.
Movement: Each component of the Boetti have been carefully crafted to fit its 65 different parts on 36mm and at the same time make sure the entire watch was is no thicker than 11mm. Opting for a self-winding automatic instead of a battery-driven quartz lead us to use a custom-made self-winding movement.
Case: Stainless Steel
Glass: Sapphire Crystal, scratch resistant
Dial material: Ceramic
Second Hand Colour: Ultramarine Blue
Case dimension: 36mm
Dial color: Porcelain White
Movement type: Self-Winding Automatic
Movement parts: 55
Water resistance: 3 ATM (Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant.)
Movement vibrations: 28,800 VPH
Power reserve: 42 Hours
Strap: Handmade Italian
Strap color: Jet Black
Complication: Day of Month

So what do you guys think? Did I buy a good watch? Or is it money down the drain?

PS: They still have a few units left that are being sold on their website for $343, shipping included.
https://boetti36.com/products/boetti...et-black-steel
Old 27th July 2017, 15:10   #3075
Senior - BHPian

After acquiring the Orient Bambino dress watch a month or so back, this time the itch was for a hardy beater watch within the most limited budget possible. And what better and hardier than the G Shock range. I have, however, never been a fan of the huge wall clock- sized wrist watches that are advertised in the G Shock range, which some fans seem to love, and therefore was never too interested in exploring the range further.

However, one thing led to another and I realised that there are some (actually, very few) G Shocks which are slim and of 'normal' size, which would fit my wrist size well. I also wanted something understated that was not going to scream for attention from my wrist.

Enter the Casio G Shock DW 5600E, courtesy my casual research on various horology channels on Youtube. This is a re-issue of the 1996 classic Casio DW 5000C model, and is even today one of the highest global sellers in the G Shock range. In fact, the ancestry and lineage of this watch can be traced back to the commencement of the G Shock range in the 1980's by the legendary Kikuo Ibe of Casio. He had set out to create the ultimate indestructible watch, and what was born then bears a very close resemblance to the pics of the DW5600E that you see below. No wonder it is called a classic.

I absolutely love the clean, classic and understated design, not to mention the perfect size for average Indian wrists. Really light at just about 54 grams, it is superbly comfortable to wear and light on the wrist. This is a no-nonsense functional watch, capable of withstanding whatever activity one throws at it, at an amazing price. Real value for money, and of course, bomb-proof like all other G Shocks. Perfect as a no-frills beater watch in one's collection.

Some pics immediately after unboxing!
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-_img_000000_000000.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20170727_144653524.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20170727_144805936.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20170727_144829706.jpg  

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 27th July 2017 at 15:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks