Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2017, 13:40   #3091
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M6 View Post
I have a few simple ones but my most cherished one is my latest buy from Amazon global store. Its a Ferrari Men's 0830077 Race Day Chronograph Black Rubber Strap Watch.

Attachment 1661458

Its silicon belt is designed to look like F1 wet weather tyres. They look very durable and are extremely comfortable as well.
Nice choice. I have the exact same watch with me. Check my post in the here. Looks cool but slightly heavier.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 9th August 2017 at 13:42.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:54   #3092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Nice watch, congrats! A few years ago, when I was looking to buy my first Seiko, the Velatura range was on my shortlist (a different model from this one though). It was pretty expensive, around Rs. 40,000 plus if I remember right. However, the size was too bulky and I ultimately went with its smaller brother from the Sportura range.

Seikos are highly regarded and the best part about them is that they have watches in literally every price bracket, from the beginner/casual user right up to the discerning enthusiast or collector. Their Grand Seiko range designs are simply out of this world!

Do share a wrist shot if possible. What are the dimensions, i.e. case diameter and thickness?
Seiko watches here are almost double the cost of what they cost in the United States probably due to the import duty. I have the Seiko Flightmaster and 2 sportura watches all 42mm watches and as you said they are considered to be the most regarded and the best brand when it comes to reliability.
Old 13th August 2017, 15:53   #3093
BHPian

These are the watches that I own currently. Most of them came to me in the form of gifts!!!

Guess - Gift from wife on our 15th Wedding Anniversary
Tommy - This was a limited edition one bought about 6yrs back.
Titan - This watch is a 15yrs old. Bought a day before my Wedding.
Cruiser - This was from Dubai, a gift from my Sis.
Casio - This was from US, a gift from a friend.
Titan - This was a gift from my office colleagues.
The other three were also gifts that I got from my friends!!!

Which watch do you own?-watches1.jpg
Which watch do you own?-watches2.jpg
Old 28th August 2017, 17:30   #3094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
Attachment 1660341
I don't know much or anything about watches. All I know is a beautiful timepiece when I see one. I like the look of it, I try to buy it. Been wearing it regularly since December and have not faced any problem whatsoever so far. Touchwood.
So I will leave the specs with the experts to judge.
Movement: Each component of the Boetti have been carefully crafted to fit its 65 different parts on 36mm and at the same time make sure the entire watch was is no thicker than 11mm. Opting for a self-winding automatic instead of a battery-driven quartz lead us to use a custom-made self-winding movement.
Case: Stainless Steel
Glass: Sapphire Crystal, scratch resistant
Dial material: Ceramic
Second Hand Colour: Ultramarine Blue
Case dimension: 36mm
Dial color: Porcelain White
Movement type: Self-Winding Automatic
Movement parts: 55
Water resistance: 3 ATM (Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant.)
Movement vibrations: 28,800 VPH
Power reserve: 42 Hours
Strap: Handmade Italian
Strap color: Jet Black
Complication: Day of Month

So what do you guys think? Did I buy a good watch? Or is it money down the drain?

PS: They still have a few units left that are being sold on their website for $343
I think the design of the dial and case are just lovely, and not really like something you see everyday. I don't know why so many companies are now intent on putting glass backs over such mediocre-looking movements, though. Personally unless a movement was especially attractive, I'd prefer the look of a nice SS back with some kind of bas-relief graphic, etc.

To be truthful, a generation ago there were loads of 35/36mm case Automatic watches from Seiko/Ricoh/Citizen/Orient/Titus/etc of all shapes/styles available in the market - so there's nothing special about that size in automatic, and this is most certainly NOT "the world's first". Moreover these oldies you can often pick up in good shape for under Rs1,000 these days. New options, with the apparently international present penchant for wristwatches that are nearly as big as yesteryear's windup alarm clocks, are indeed slim pickings. At 40mm until recently, Seiko had a nice military-style watch with the 4R36, 24J, hacking, manually-windable automatic movement, at under $200... And they've still got a 37mm (I think) with a less sexy but still very good automatic movement for only $60. Invicta uses the unbranded version of the 4R36 Seiko movements and has divers and other watches as cheap as $100, but most are 43-45mm and up - no technical reason for it, it's unfortunately just "the latest [stupid] fashion".

So at $343 is yours a waste of money? Well, not if it continues to look good and keep good time for years to come, and/or if the resale value is decent. I always like something unique, something that everyone else isn't wearing, and I think a somewhat obscure Swedish timepiece might fit the bill there.

A very appealing watch to be sure.

-Eric
Old 28th August 2017, 18:48   #3095
Senior - BHPian

Just a few selections from what has become a rather vast collection:

Which watch do you own?-img_20170828_16050901.jpg

I actually remembered the thread title as being, "Which watch are you WEARING", so photographed this vintage West-End "Keepsake", which though involved in its restoration and wearing it today, I (wistfully) don't own. It is the only one of this model that I've seen, even after nearly 15 years of hanging around mechanics and old watch markets. Large for its era, its red dial being highly unusual for that time as well. Moreover, it originally had some kind of black (possibly powder-coated) case and marked bezel. In truth I found it a lot easier to simply get it redone in chrome, and to burnish the aluminum bezel, an effect I think is in no way inferior to the original. Owned by an old education-officer friend who I guess has had it for many decades.

Which watch do you own?-img_20170828_164920.jpg

Next up is the somewhat sought-after and IMO very nice looking Seiko 6138-3002 Chrono, one of the largest cases they made these mechanical chrono's in at around 43mm; Excellent timepiece but actually a little large for my wrists (and so heavy I can even feel it in my shoulder after awhile), so I'm preferring the next one for regular use:

Which watch do you own?-img_20170814_19500902.jpg

Seiko 5 military-style dial in a more dressy case, really great 6019 Automatic movement (push-crown day set), 35mm case. Can't go wrong here.

Which watch do you own?-img_20170828_180812.jpg

One of my only Quartz watches - Titan with month/day/date/moon indications, a relatively rare piece.

Which watch do you own?-img_20170828_180948.jpg

Your grandfather's watch - Favre-Leuba Sea-Chief with the very unique double-mainspring "Twin Power" manual-wind movement... The idea here, I think, was that the mainspring's widths could be minimized, and thus the movement/case thickness - some Twin Power cases were extremely thin.

Which watch do you own?-img_20170828_180225.jpg

Nice "vintage" Ricoh with a sunburst-style dial. Ricoh automatic movements were nice in that they could also be manually-wound - nice if you anticipate "sittin' 'round in the shade" doing nothing all day (in which case you wouldn't really need a watch, but whatever... :-) . They also had a dedicated pushbutton date set, which is convenient for those sub-31-day months, the downside being the creation of one more potential water-entry point as the watches aged.

Which watch do you own?-img_20170828_180122.jpg

No collection would be complete without an HMT - I have several but this is what I've most recently worn, a very nice, simple, quite elegant run-of-the-mill Janata. For the uninformed, these used what were essentially Citizen manual-wind movements produced under license. Truly excellent, durable timekeepers created in many very attractive styles. Hardly a better bargain out there in quality mechanical watches.

"Time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin, into the future..." (Steve Miller Band)
"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven" (Ecclesiastes)

More later,
Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 28th August 2017 at 19:06.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 19:10   #3096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
One of my favorites - "Allwyn Automatic", which I inherited from my father and I still use.

If I remember right, he got this around the year 1987!

This watch has never visited a service center, except for a strap change some time back.
I think I have one almost identical to this, that a friend left with me... The branding strikes me as SO old/stodgy, but actually great watches with Seiko-license automatic movements - not the only such I've known that's run decades without servicing, and a very good argument for auto-winders over against modern quartz movements. Almost every Indian family would have a story like this one someplace... maybe still sitting in an old drawer.

-Eric
Old 30th August 2017, 19:36   #3097
BHPian

One I had is an HMT automatic. It was a pre 1960 model that I inherited from my grandpa directly. Used it extensively. Best part was, you didn't need any key or cell to keep it running. However off late, problems started showing up and it would lag in time. With every repair, it worsened a bit, and I slowly started identifying evil sparkle in the watchmakers' eyes when they saw such a priceless gem (accompanied by 'Sir you need to leave it for a day or two').
Currently rocking the Fasttrack watch, liked it the moment I saw it. matte black dial outer edge and brushed dark black metal chain, heavy (just the way I like it) and an ideal mix between funky and elite/elegant to my taste. It is one of the costliest in the Fasttrack portfolio, and one of the best designs made by them, considering they have all over-funky designs currently.
Which watch do you own?-photo_20170830_192439.jpg
Old 30th August 2017, 20:02   #3098
BHPian

Anyone knows if HMT still sells the Pilot in white?
Old 31st August 2017, 10:07   #3099
BANNED

Our Speedmaster is still with them. Spares from Switzerland are coming 'real soon'.
Old 11th September 2017, 11:57   #3100
Senior - BHPian

Looking for competent watch mechanics/servicers in Bangalore who are familiar with and able to service entry level to mid tier mechanical/automatic watches. Typically, the Seiko and/or Orient mechanical movements, or the entry level Swiss mechanical movements (ETA movements, for example).

While I understand this has been discussed on the thread a long time back, I was looking to obtain more updated information valid as on date.

Other than core competence in servicing mechanical watches, another important criteria would be that the person in question should be brand agnostic. In other words, he should not be restricted to servicing only a select brand/s and should be willing to accept different brands for servicing.

Where do Bangalore BHPians give their automatic watches for servicing? Information would be very helpful.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 11th September 2017 at 11:58.
Old 11th September 2017, 13:27   #3101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Anyone knows if HMT still sells the Pilot in white?
You might get it from some e-retailer. However, if its not available now then it won't be available in future too. HMT is not manufacturing any watch now as the company has closed it manufacturing units.
Old 12th September 2017, 14:12   #3102
Senior - BHPian

New addition to my collection, a Daniel Wellington. Its for people who love a classic, elegant and a very simple look
Which watch do you own?-dw.jpg
Old 13th September 2017, 18:21   #3103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
New addition to my collection, a Daniel Wellington. Its for people who love a classic, elegant and a very simple look
That is a good looking watch! Simple and classy - just the way I like it. I hope to own a piece like this. I heard about this brand (Daniel Wellington) for the first time. Is it a high end brand (looks like one)? What is their pricing range? I saw similar design from a watch company called Claude Bernard but they were >15K.
Old 13th September 2017, 18:29   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
...I saw similar design from a watch company called Claude Bernard but they were >15K.
This ranges in the 9k to 13k range after discount based on the dial size (40mm, 36mm, 32mm etc.) I picked the 40mm but I feel 36mm is a perfect fit for most wrists. Go to their indian site (although Ethos is also selling it, but not sure about the discount), talk to the chat help and get your discount code instantly. Its worth the 15% they give through chat. They have only black and eggshell-white dials but multiple metal and leather strap options
Old 14th September 2017, 10:01   #3105
BHPian

Latest addition to my collection. Apple iWatch series 2 space grey. It's amazing watch and now i'm addicted to it.

Which watch do you own?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1505363392.112237.jpg

Most Viewed