Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2018, 00:54   #3676
Distinguished - BHPian

I know some members have bought their Nomos watches at Wempe, Germany. Well, no more Nomos at Wempe apperently.

"Business News: Wempe Stops Selling Nomos After 20 Years" via @watchville https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/37723/click

Last edited by SDP : 6th October 2018 at 08:28. Reason: Fixed the URL which was causing alignment issues on the page
Old 6th October 2018, 01:40   #3677
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I know some members have bought their Nomos watches at Wempe, Germany. Well, no more Nomos at Wempe apperently.

"Business News: Wempe Stops Selling Nomos After 20 Years" via @watchvillehttps://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/37723/click
Yep! Since Nomos is teeny tiny in the sea of watch makers, it would have been darn easy for Wempe to take this decision. I wonder how they might react with bigger names like Rolex or IWC etc.,?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th October 2018 at 08:10. Reason: quote tag fixed
Old 10th October 2018, 19:06   #3678
BHPian

Had a bad experience with Ethos watches. Bought this citizen ecodrive BL8144-89h-eco-drive from tatacliq.com seller being Ethos watches. It seems ethos has sent me a previously returned / demo watch. Watch has some minor scratches on the outer golden rim and bracelet. Even the box is torn and worn which is not what you expect when you buy a Rs 30,000 + watch. Having bought 2 watches from them previously will completely avoid ethos now.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-1.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-2.jpg  

Last edited by spookey : 10th October 2018 at 19:08.
Old 13th October 2018, 13:37   #3679
Senior - BHPian

Added a G Shock to my collection - a Mudman in green color. The watch is solid. Was eyeing the gulf master, but at last decided to settle for mudman since it is more of a novelty purchase.

Which watch do you own?-img_20181013_113243_bokeh.jpg

Which watch do you own?-img_20181013_113211.jpg

--Anoop
Old 13th October 2018, 16:08   #3680
BHPian

Orient Surveyor - my daily beater for almost 10 months now. Fairly impressed with the accuracy of the watch. I think this is one of the very few entry level Japanese automatic's with sapphire crystal under Rs.10,000.
It's hard to find one with a red dial which is an absolute stunner.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-20181013_155444_001.jpg  

Last edited by spookey : 13th October 2018 at 16:09.
Old 15th October 2018, 09:47   #3681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
Orient Surveyor - my daily beater for almost 10 months now. Fairly impressed with the accuracy of the watch. I think this is one of the very few entry level Japanese automatic's with sapphire crystal under Rs.10,000.
It's hard to find one with a red dial which is an absolute stunner.
I have always loved Orient as a brand. They offer awesome value for money with a huge range of designs and options to choose from. I have two of their super successful models- the Mako II and the Bambino (which is my daily office watch). Offering completely in-house automatic movements at this price point is no small matter!

The Surveyor also looks to be a solid beater option. What size is it?
Old 15th October 2018, 13:04   #3682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The Surveyor also looks to be a solid beater option. What size is it?
Sir, Thank you for introducing me to Orient brand for it was only after watching pics of your gorgeous Mako II that i came to know of the brand Orient and became a fan for life As you rightly pointed out Orient watches are awesome value for money and after 4 watches i still can't have enough of them

As for the surveyor specs - case diameter is 42 mm , thickness around 11 mm and is fairly light weight at about 120 gms.
Old 15th October 2018, 14:33   #3683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for the surveyor specs - case diameter is 42 mm , thickness around 11 mm and is fairly light weight at about 120 gms.
Hi, would you mind sharing where you got the Surveyor from, for < Rs.10k? At least the Orient India sites shows a retail price of Rs.18k.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 15th October 2018, 15:03   #3684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, Thank you for introducing me to Orient brand for it was only after watching pics of your gorgeous Mako II that i came to know of the brand Orient and became a fan for life As you rightly pointed out Orient watches are awesome value for money and after 4 watches i still can't have enough of them
Thats fantastic, great to hear that my posts inspired you to check out Orient What about the other three Orients that you have- which ones are those?

Also, no need to call me Sir. Quite sure that we are in the same / similar age group
Old 15th October 2018, 16:19   #3685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi, would you mind sharing where you got the Surveyor from, for < Rs.10k? At least the Orient India sites shows a retail price of Rs.18k.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vikram
Hello, You are most welcome I had bought it from Orient India itself under weekly sales. Please check weekly sale section i think it is listed on page 4. Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Thats fantastic, great to hear that my posts inspired you to check out Orient What about the other three Orients that you have- which ones are those?

Also, no need to call me Sir. Quite sure that we are in the same / similar age group
Apart from the Surveyor my Orient family consists of the Regent , Ray 2 , Orient star retrogade and in transit is a Sun & moon v3

Disclaimer: Kindly note that i have no association or interest with Orient India. If not for insane custom duties i would have preferred to order from abroad. Best option according to me is to bring them from singapore / US if you or a friend is coming back from there.

Last edited by spookey : 15th October 2018 at 16:24.
Old 15th October 2018, 17:32   #3686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Christmas present from my wife:

The Oris Diver sixty five leather. This is a new version of an earlier Oris diver watch. It’s rated at 10 bar, so more snorkelling than diving I reckon. But I bought it primarily because of the way it looks. Love the very dark blue face and the ultra domed sapphire glass.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/oris-div...ve-42mm-watch/

Attachment 1588708

Jeroen
Sorry to quote a very old post. How has he experience with the Diver 65 been thus far. Did you purchase it from India, how much discount did you get if you dont mind me asking. I am close to picking up a Diver 65 myself
Old 19th October 2018, 17:04   #3687
BHPian

Filippo Loreti?

Came across this new brand called Filippo Loreti. Found the designs to be smart and elegant and the prices are also very vfm. Did some googling and found this. Now I'm interested!

Looking for your thoughts / first hand reviews / feedback on the brand and its products.
Old 19th October 2018, 17:06   #3688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Came across this new brand called Filippo Loreti. Found the designs to be smart and elegant and the prices are also very vfm. Did some googling and found this. Now I'm interested!

Looking for your thoughts / first hand reviews / feedback on the brand and its products.

Just a little bit more of google search and you would have found this too :

https://technofaq.org/posts/2017/10/...er-watch-scam/
Old 30th October 2018, 10:33   #3689
BANNED

I have an Omega Constellation 43 mm (large size) which I bought about six years ago. While setting it up for a Kolkata trip I found the hour hand misbehaving. A service is also called for, so I am sending it to Swatch facility on Delhi (near Max hospital) through our son who is a consultant in Fortis, Vasant Kunj. I am pretty confident that should be able to fix it. They did an excellent job on my old Omega Speedmaster of 1974 (the Auto version of the Moon Watch) last year. Took over six months, and cost a lot to fix. I have posted the report and pic on this thread.

Thanks SS Traveller for putting me on to them.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th October 2018 at 11:28. Reason: Typo
Old 30th October 2018, 14:17   #3690
Distinguished - BHPian

As some of you will know I have several relatively modern watches. The last few years I have been looking at vintage watches. I think I might have written something to that effect on this thread some time ago.

Anyway, the other day I was rummaging through some boxes and found my dad’s old watch. My dad passed away in 1991. I got his watch and put it away at the time.

It is a Buren, Swiss Slender automatic. What was amazing, it started working the minute I picked it up and moved it about. Consider it had been sitting idle for some 27 years that is quite something.

I remember my dad getting this watch. I must have been at primary school at the time, around late 1960s’ or thereabouts. My dad wasn’t a particular material man. He was more the intellectual type buying endless books. But whatever he bought, he always liked to spend good money to make sure he got good quality. So I was pretty sure this was most likely a pretty good watch at it’s time.

Surfed around a bit and found out that indeed these Buren automatic were quite advanced for their time. They were one of the first companies to introduce mini rotors to drive the winding mechanism. Which meant the watches could be quite slim.

I phoned around a bit to find somebody that could do a proper overhaul. Found a very nice vintage watch shop in Leiden.

https://www.tijdloos-leiden.nl/en_GB/

I spoke to the owner, Paul, at length. He was very familiar with these watches and said he had all the spare parts in stock. So I took it to him. This is a little shop and Paul takes his time, so it took about 10 weeks before the watch was ready.

Paul did a great job. He took the whole watch apart, all seals and some other small parts were replaced. The casing, face, handles etc are all still original. So they show the wear and tear during my dad’s lifetime. The total cost of the overhaul/service was Euro 250,--

I put a new strap on it. My dad had a metal strap put on at sometime and I never liked it.

Which watch do you own?-img_3779.jpg

Which watch do you own?-img_3780.jpg

I am very pleased with it. It runs perfect again. It is an old watch, so I do need to be a bit careful with it. Especially water is a problem for these old watches. I put the watch on my wrist the day I picked it up. The next day it was full of condensation. I’m not aware I got it wet, but then with any of my modern watches I wouldn’t even notice. Just washing your hands might get some drops splashed on on it. Also, I wear my watches on my right wrist, which means the crown tends to be facing up a lot!

I phoned Paul in a panick and returned the watch to him. He opened it up again, dried it out, put some more grease here and there and it has been fine ever since.

I don’t wear it everyday. It is more a watch for special occasions. It is almost a dress watch although the strap is a bit casual. These day that doesn’t matter much.

According to Paul the value of this watch could be somewhere between Euro 600-800. I have been keeping an eye out on some online auctions. Havent seen an identical one. I won’t sell of course. But I find it interesting to find out.

I would like to think that this watch passes on to one of my kids in due course.

As it so happens at the time I found my dad’s watch we also had an overseas friend staying with us. She lives in Barbados and she had a fifty year old Tudor and a fifty year Rolex with her. Belonging to herself and her mum. Both watches weren’t running very well. I checked with the official Tudor and Rolex folks. But it would take thousands of Euro’s to service these watches. So, I took both of these to Paul as well for a service. He did a good job on those as well. Just for a couple of hundred Euro’s each. The Tudor value is similar as to the Buren. The Rolex is probably worth a couple of thousand Euro’s. Again, our friend isn’t looking into selling these watches. Like mine, these watches have been in the family for a long time and get handed down from mum’s to daughters which I think is highly appropriate!

Which watch do you own?-img_3781.jpg

Which watch do you own?-img_3782.jpg

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks