Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2018, 11:39   #3751
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
It is true. I've seen this in more than a few cases. I must advise you that if you know a good old watch-smith, take it to him for a second opinion. I got a friend's Omega fixed for 800 bucks when the service centre wanted 20K - but the guy is a legitimate expert, I've never seen a watch he couldn't fix.
The job is done and I have made rhe payment and got back the watch - just checking to see if it is true. I do personally know the head of Swatch Group service so could get a discount though.

I understand that they could clean and put back the old PCB, but that may not be good enough as the corrosion from the battery (which is the reason for the replacement of the PCB) would have resulted in coating of the contacts eroding and that in turn would result in the battery drawing more current than is required.

Last edited by AMG Power : 12th December 2018 at 11:42.
Old 12th December 2018, 11:45   #3752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The job is done and I have made rhe payment and got back the watch - just checking to see if it is true. I do personally know the head of Swatch Group service so could get a discount though.

I understand that they could clean and put back the old PCB, but that may not be good enough as the corrosion from the battery (which is the reason for the replacement of the PCB) would have resulted in coating of the contacts eroding and that in turn would result in the battery drawing more current than is required.
Yup. That's exactly what happens when you leave the battery in too long.
I got the repair done a couple of years ago, and it seems to be doing fine.
Do set a reminder to change the battery in 18-20 months!
Old 12th December 2018, 12:07   #3753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do set a reminder to change the battery in 18-20 months!
Oh man! That's the first thing I did when I got back the watch. That was an expensive lesson.

Thanks for the tip though!
Old 16th December 2018, 11:54   #3754
BHPian

Hi has anyone ordered the Xiaomi Ciga square watch? Planning to order one as it looks quite interesting and it's not too expensive. Just wondering if someone here has used it and what's their feedback.
Old 17th December 2018, 13:12   #3755
PPS
Senior - BHPian

My Seiko Presage is running too fast, approximately by 5-10mins. I think i tried to adjust the date & time yesterday between 9pm - 3am something which should never be done on an automatic watch from what i've read now. I may have turned it counter clock wise also, maybe.
What's the solution? Hope I haven't damaged the movement.
Old 17th December 2018, 13:22   #3756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Hi has anyone ordered the Xiaomi Ciga square watch? Planning to order one as it looks quite interesting and it's not too expensive. Just wondering if someone here has used it and what's their feedback.
Hey,

I had posted the same query a couple pages back and during a sale couple months back picked it up from Aliexpress. The watch is good, the design fantastic. The moment is a little iffy, found that it ran either 5 mins fast or slow. The price is also decent, got it for 8k although I belive the price is now 11k and above.

My advice wait for a sale to order if you really want it or else close your eyes and go for an Orient Bambino or a Seiko 5.
Old 17th December 2018, 13:22   #3757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
My Seiko Presage is running too fast, approximately by 5-10mins. I think i tried to adjust the date & time yesterday between 9pm - 3am something which should never be done on an automatic watch from what i've read now. I may have turned it counter clock wise also, maybe.
Even my Orient Surveyor, which I got couple of weeks ago, runs fast by about 1-2 minutes per day. Looked up online for opinion and it looks like 1-2 minutes a day is acceptable error.

I also read that one should not adjust date and time between 9 pm - 3 am and not move minutes hand counterclockwise. But I don't think the movement will be so delicate to not be able to handle this. Since my watch runs fast, I need to pull back the minute hand every other day.

Coming from having worn a quartz watch all my life, these intricacies invoke a deep attachment with the watch. However, it also makes me wonder why not wear a quartz watch which will work perfectly 10/10 times.
Old 17th December 2018, 13:51   #3758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
Hey,

I had posted the same query a couple pages back and during a sale couple months back picked it up from Aliexpress. The watch is good, the design fantastic. The moment is a little iffy, found that it ran either 5 mins fast or slow. The price is also decent, got it for 8k although I belive the price is now 11k and above.

My advice wait for a sale to order if you really want it or else close your eyes and go for an Orient Bambino or a Seiko 5.
Thanks for the inputs. Do you mean +-5 mins a day or a week? The review I saw online seems to say only about a few seconds a day so this is quite alarming. The best price I can see it for now is around 135-155 USD. I guess I will wait for a sale before going ahead.
Old 17th December 2018, 13:53   #3759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Do you mean +-5 mins a day or a week? The review I saw online seems to say only about a few seconds a day so this is quite alarming. The best price I can see it for now is around 135-155 USD. I guess I will wait for a sale before going ahead.
In a day, was shocked as well. Would set the time everyday morning and by night would find a difference of about 5 mins. Contacted the seller as well and he is willing to send a new movement which he says can be easily installed. Haven't jumped on it tough, will propably be sending it back for refund.
Old 17th December 2018, 13:57   #3760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
In a day, was shocked as well. Would set the time everyday morning and by night would find a difference of about 5 mins. Contacted the seller as well and he is willing to send a new movement which he says can be easily installed. Haven't jumped on it tough, will propably be sending it back for refund.
If it's not too difficult to change out I guess a new movement would be a better bet. Iy looks great and I really love the design. Planning to go for the silver one.
Old 17th December 2018, 14:43   #3761
BHPian

Guys,
I'm looking for a super basic fitness watch. I think I need just a pedometer and maybe a heart rate monitor. What would be a good budget and what watches/bands should I be looking at?
Old 17th December 2018, 15:05   #3762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
I'm looking for a super basic fitness watch. I think I need just a pedometer and maybe a heart rate monitor. What would be a good budget and what watches/bands should I be looking at?
Mi Band 2 or 3 based on your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Even my Orient Surveyor, which I got couple of weeks ago, runs fast by about 1-2 minutes per day. Looked up online for opinion and it looks like 1-2 minutes a day is acceptable error.
I don't think Orient automatics have 1-2 minutes of difference in a day. They're pretty reliable for the price they come for, I believe 10-15 seconds in a day is acceptable for a basic Orient movement. You need to have it regulated/calibrated by an authorized service dealer.
Quote:
I also read that one should not adjust date and time between 9 pm - 3 am and not move minutes hand counterclockwise. But I don't think the movement will be so delicate to not be able to handle this. Since my watch runs fast, I need to pull back the minute hand every other day.
Yes it is adviced not to adjust the day/date between the said time period. If you do turn the crown counter-clockwise too often for adjusting time it might add to additional wear and tear of the movement.
Quote:
Coming from having worn a quartz watch all my life, these intricacies invoke a deep attachment with the watch. However, it also makes me wonder why not wear a quartz watch which will work perfectly 10/10 times.
Mate a mechanical watch is just like a Royal Enfield Bullet CI 350 or Yamaha RD350 it requires adequate care and regular TLC. Quartz is more like Hero Honda CD100, Fill it, Shut it and Forget it.
Quote:
What's the solution? Hope I haven't damaged the movement.
Mate don't worry, you need to get the movement inside your Seiko Presage calibrated/regulated at a Seiko authorized service dealer. If it is in warranty then better get it done before the warranty runs out. Seiko movements are pretty robust and reliable and will have no more than +/- 10 to 15 seconds difference in a day.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 17th December 2018 at 15:09.
Old 17th December 2018, 18:09   #3763
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mate don't worry, you need to get the movement inside your Seiko Presage calibrated/regulated at a Seiko authorized service dealer. If it is in warranty then better get it done before the warranty runs out. Seiko movements are pretty robust and reliable and will have no more than +/- 10 to 15 seconds difference in a day.
Looked up Seiko India's website & I do not see any service centre's in Mumbai! I bought the watch earlier this year in January from the US, hopefully its covered by worldwide warranty which is applicable in India. Worst case scenario may give it to Ethos for service.

Now, the watch is running 15mins fast. Wonder if its a case of magnetised movement.
Old 18th December 2018, 10:31   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Most automatic watches are off by at least 10 seconds a day, which for normal automatics also varies with the ambient temperature. My Seiko 5's (I had at least 3 in the past 40 years) ran 10-15 seconds fast. My Tissot runs about 6 seconds fast. Only my Rolex used to run a couple of seconds fast. From what I have learnt, automatic watches can be calibrated to run true, but that requires a sophisticated calibration rig. Most high end company authorised repair shops have them, but it takes a few days to get the time spot on.

Another thing that I have noticed is that some watches run fast for some people, and slow on others, no idea why. So you have to live with fast automatics, but do get them adjusted so that it does not run away.
Old 18th December 2018, 11:10   #3765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looked up Seiko India's website & I do not see any service centre's in Mumbai! I bought the watch earlier this year in January from the US, hopefully its covered by worldwide warranty which is applicable in India. Worst case scenario may give it to Ethos for service.

Now, the watch is running 15mins fast. Wonder if its a case of magnetised movement.
Mate there are Seiko centres in Mumbai. Although I am not sure if we can call them service centres only. Some of them are known dealers like Ethos, Helios, Just In Time, etc.

Kindly follow this link for more such options: https://www.seiko.in/stores/store_information/

Choose from among the centres which are closer to your place.

If at all your movement is magnetized it can be demagnetized by the service centre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks