Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2021, 21:57   #4561
BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Hello guys,

I am on the lookout for a watch that I hope will last me a long time if not a lifetime. Super confused at this point and thought will write out my thoughts here.

The existing collection is a Seiko 5 series on steel (2011), a Seiko Alpinist Sarb017 on leather (2016), A Citizen stiletto gold on black leather (2020) and a TomTom Spark3 for running/ activity tracking.

Ever since I got the Citizen, I really like the fact that I can just pick it and wear it without having to worry about whether the time is correct or not. My Sarb on the other hand loses about 5 mins a day. I think it has been magnetised (had got it serviced about a year back) but with magnets all around, it will be impossible to have a watch unaffected by magnetism. I do take care to not wear it when I'm working on my laptop but that defeats the purpose.

So I am leaning towards quartz. My holy grail would be a Grand Seiko quartz. Also saw a bunch of Seiko Dolce's on SeiyaJapan with radio-controlled solar movements and titanium cases.

Any others I should look out for. I liked the Tissot PRX but want something "nicer" if that's a word.

If automatic, I wish to either get one with Powermatic80 that has nivachron and 80 hrs reserve or something similar. Though I really like a few Stowa models - superbly crafted but most are based on the 2824 and hence only about 38 hour power reserve. I want something that can go through the weekend and I can pick it up on Monday without having to adjust time (an in some cases date)

A steel sports watch would be ideal, also since I'm looking to hold onto it for a long time.

Sorry if this is too confusing, but looking for some advice here.

Tapish
Old 15th March 2021, 16:27   #4562
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
A steel sports watch would be ideal, also since I'm looking to hold onto it for a long time.
What is the budget you are looking at. Since you want nicer than Tissot I'd suggest the Longines Hydroconquest or the Longines legend or skin diver. The Oris Aquis is another great option. I'd also suggest the Oris Diver 65 which has a vintage look but it's got just 100 m Water resistance compared to the others (still ISO 6425 rated but).
Old 16th March 2021, 07:12   #4563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
What is the budget you are looking at. Since you want nicer than Tissot I'd suggest the Longines Hydroconquest or the Longines legend or skin diver. The Oris Aquis is another great option. I'd also suggest the Oris Diver 65 which has a vintage look but it's got just 100 m Water resistance compared to the others (still ISO 6425 rated but).
Thanks AZT, The budget is flexible since I'm looking at everything between PRX and GS. Ideally, sub 1 will be great.

Of the watches you suggested, Longines are big for my wrist and the Oris has a 38-hour reserve. I'm looking for a watch that can go through the weekend without needing a reset.
Old 16th March 2021, 12:20   #4564
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks AZT, The budget is flexible since I'm looking at everything between PRX and GS. Ideally, sub 1 will be great.

Of the watches you suggested, Longines are big for my wrist and the Oris has a 38-hour reserve. I'm looking for a watch that can go through the weekend without needing a reset.
Hydroconquest has a 39mm version and Oris Aquila has a 5 day power reserve. Christopher Ward may also have something you like.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 12:36   #4565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oris has a 38-hour reserve. I'm looking for a watch that can go through the weekend without needing a reset.
Why not just get a watch winder? That way you are freed from the constraint of reserve time and can expand your search to more models.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 08:47   #4566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why not just get a watch winder? That way you are freed from the constraint of reserve time and can expand your search to more models.
I have been thinking about that as well - still not sure if it is a good long term investment + winders in India are super expensive. Maybe I can ask someone to get it down from US where they are still cheap. If that works maybe I will get the Stowa https://www.stowa.de/en/Marine+36+cl...oman+white.htm

If that happens, I'll also get a Strapcode bracelet for my Alpinist so that becomes the steel sports watch then.

Too much wishful thinking in here
Old 18th March 2021, 09:04   #4567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been thinking about that as well - still not sure if it is a good long term investment + winders in India are super expensive. Maybe I can ask someone to get it down from US where they are still cheap. If that works maybe I will get the Stowa https://www.stowa.de/en/Marine+36+cl...oman+white.htm

If that happens, I'll also get a Strapcode bracelet for my Alpinist so that becomes the steel sports watch then.

Too much wishful thinking in here
Unless you are hell bent on non Japanese automatics, Check the 1000-1500 USD bunch of new Seiko Prospex divers that have been consistently hitting the market in recent times. Each of them look like killer watches (the new MM200 - SBDC127 (), the Willard and what not - Seiko has been releasing a large number of models in recent times). You can also check out the expanded Alpinist collection. Most of these come with the new Seiko 6R35 movement which is an evolved version of the 6R15 that is there on your current SARB, but with a 70 hour power reserve. I feel these Seikos offer good value for money in that price range.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 18th March 2021 at 09:08.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:11   #4568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Just out of curiosity, picked up a Casio Retro Digital Watch (Model: A159WA-N1DF) for a throwaway price. Looks nice!
Awesome! I love Casio retro watches. I got 3 of those calculator watches. 2 Black and one blue. I used to regularly wear a black one till few months ago when its strap started to crack(unfortunately it has a very flimsy rubber strap). The battery though lasts a really long time. Finished 5 years in Nov 2020. It is still running.
kkr2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:36   #4569
Senior - BHPian

Had my eyes on the Diesel DZ4329 for quite a while.

Got a great offer online recently and bought it immediately.

I think it was money well spent -
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-dz4329dieseloriginalimafee6gppyddj6r.jpeg  

raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:58   #4570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why not just get a watch winder?
I got a Riedenschild automatic watch and a single watch winder as free gifts from a US watch forum ten years back. The winder seemed to be Chinese and stopped working after just a year. The watch was good looking and worked well for a few years and then the main spring was broken. Took it to a top service center in Chennai. They said the ETA movement needed to be replaced and gave a quote of about 20k. I threw both away.

I usually wear the automatic (which I did not wear in the day time) during dinner time and will wear it to bed too. A third one will be worn the next day, and the rotation will follow. Sometimes if I wear quartz or hand wind watches for a few days, I will wind the automatic watches lightly in the morning. But it becomes an issue when we have quite a few automatics.

Last edited by Gansan : 18th March 2021 at 11:06.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 16:19   #4571
BHPian

HMMT Pilot!

My patience really paid off after waiting really long for this watch to be available on hmtwatches.in + I could source the right bracelet.Though I got the watch delivered long back, was waiting for right bracelet/strap.

This is HMT Pilot with a timeless Classic Black Dial and simple indices. Though the quality of hand applied indices and crystal leave a lot to be desired - but for me it is 'the' best looking HMT ever!!! Especially with that delicious Jubilee bracelet!

Which watch do you own?-20210318_0110202_4mb.jpg

Which watch do you own?-20210318_011406_4mb.jpg

and a short review of the watch:
somspaple is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:35   #4572
BHPian

Re: HMMT Pilot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
My patience really paid off after waiting really long for this watch to be available on hmtwatches.in + I could source the right bracelet.Though I got the watch delivered long back, was waiting for right bracelet/strap.

This is HMT Pilot with a timeless Classic Black Dial and simple indices. Though the quality of hand applied indices and crystal leave a lot to be desired - but for me it is 'the' best looking HMT ever!!! Especially with that delicious Jubilee bracelet!

Attachment 2135029

Attachment 2135030

and a short review of the watch:
https://Youtu.be/YuMbK2uHMFg
your post prompted me to loosen my purse as well. Picked up a PilotBD SS yesterday since it was available on the hmt website
LonelyPlanet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 23:27   #4573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Hydroconquest has a 39mm version and Oris Aquila has a 5 day power reserve. Christopher Ward may also have something you like.
Quote:
Why not just get a watch winder?
Thanks AZT and Jaguar,

And in a decision that runs anti to my initial requirements (5-day reserve with nivachron/ silicon and/or quartz), I went ahead and purchased the Stowa Marine 36 Roman in top finish automatic version. The Stowa is a steal at 750EUR (inclusive of shipping to US) in that top finish. It is 2824-2 regulated to almost chronometer standards. Which watch do you own?-marineuhr_36_romanstowa1300.jpg

Have ordered it with a brown strap since I usually wear business casuals. Will also be getting a winder to ensure that both this and alpinist can be grab and go watches.

Now the agonizing wait begins. I have got it shipped to my brother in law in the US who will be bringing it down when he visits in Jun/Jul. India duties were very high almost doubling the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Unless you are hell bent on non Japanese automatics,
This time I was!
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:09   #4574
BHPian

I need to get an old HMT Janata repaired. It's not in working condition and I would prefer to give it to some reliable watch repair guy only. Can someone here please guide me to one? Location: Mumbai

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd March 2021 at 11:06. Reason: Janta > Janata
Old 23rd March 2021, 13:38   #4575
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
I went ahead and purchased the Stowa Marine 36 Roman in top finish automatic version.
I've heard of Stowa, this one sounds good. Does the 36 mean it's 36mm. I've started to appreciate smaller dials recently and think they are more classy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks