Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 12:10   #1111
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Orient is a Japanese company which makes some fantastic automatic watches. However, I've not come across any premium watch shops in India that stock or order Orient. If you have any friends/family coming from Japan or the US, you can get them via that route. The plus with Orient is that they manufacture their own movements, just like Seiko. My favourites among their diver watch collection are EM65001B, EM65002D, EM65001M.
Orient is a Seiko subsidiary.
Check out 2ER00002D0, its one simple but good looking automatic.
Old 6th October 2011, 12:21   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
+1 for Orient. While I am not a fan of the Rolex Sub homage, I love the Mako. Too bad, I lost the watch sometime ago. But then again, perfect excuse to get the new Ray, which is currently in transit!!
Old 6th October 2011, 12:32   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sankar, I can't find this model on the website. Do you have a link?
Old 6th October 2011, 12:33   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
There are quite a few Tissots in the 10,000 - 20,000 range. However, they seem to be Quartz movements. I am more partial to a mechanical movement watch and want to avoid Quartz. I think I shall now increase budget to 20,000 and look for a decent automatic or hand winding mechanical. So far, the brands I have thought of are Citizen, Seiko, Tissot. I think Citizen has 'Automatic" in that range, not sure about others. Any advice?
If I am not wrong, Tissot Automatics start around 25K. Did you give Hamilton a thought? Though a American company (brand). It's also owned by Swatch and has ETA movements. It's range also starts at around 20K.
Old 6th October 2011, 12:41   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sankar, I can't find this model on the website. Do you have a link?
Oh, i didn't check their website actually. Anyway you can see the pics here
http://www.orientalwatchsite.com/for...65-2er00002d0/
Maybe its not made anymore. But Check out the Orient Mako (blue and Black looks nice) mentioned by VCash.
OrientWatchUSA.com | Maintenance

Rates are lower at Amazon.
Old 6th October 2011, 14:44   #1116
Senior - BHPian

I havent owned one but was planning to get one which , they must be pretty confident though given that they provide a lifetime warranty on all their watches. I know someone who has one and no complaints there , so maybe a particular model could be the issue

Quote:
Skagen seems to be well-known but JVH finds them delicate (see below).
Old 6th October 2011, 15:44   #1117
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Skagen seems to be well-known but JVH finds them delicate (see below). I will see if there is a Tissot in that price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I havent owned one but was planning to get one which , they must be pretty confident though given that they provide a lifetime warranty on all their watches. I know someone who has one and no complaints there , so maybe a particular model could be the issue
I had bought this watch - post 858. I too don't have complaints as such, but what I meant was for the price, I could have bought a better one. They make pretty stylish watches for sure and this one was an impulsive buy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2244203

Quote:
One clarification: I am not looking at a Chronograph. A simple time piece (even without day / date) is okay.

Neither do I want a Diver's watch (100 m water resistent), 30 m should be enough for me (I don't know how to swim, let alone dive! If I am 3 m below surface of water, then I am on my way to drowning in any case, no point saving the watch then.)

I will be doing the purchase in a month or two. Will definitely put it up on this thread.
My bad for not going through your earlier posts! If you want a simple one, at 20K, you will be spoilt for choices. Believe me! You will be able to get a very good no thrills-frills Tissot at that price.
Old 6th October 2011, 18:31   #1118
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Yes but those are quartz watches, not mechanical.

At one time Tissot was practically in the same league as Omega. With time, especially after being acquired by Swatch, Tissot and Longines have lost their premium image.
As for Quartz there are even Omega Consatellations in quartz. Before quartz the quality of movement was of far more import - hence my comment. I should know since in my family there are Constellation Quartz watches, as well as three mechanicals and one Longines (I think Quartz). There is also a slightly defective Speedmaster Pro.

Tissot was the cheaper brother of Omega as far as I can remember (back to the early 1970's). Longines used to be in the same price bracket as Omega in those days.
Old 6th October 2011, 19:02   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Here is a link to Tissot watches with their official price. The Indian prices are generally lower, inspite of the duty as major retailers give a hefty discount.
When I bought my Tissot more than ten years ago, I pointed the model I wanted in their catalog, and they got it within a week.

The home page Tissot

and their online shop Men
Old 7th October 2011, 10:33   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Thats a nice looking one and i tried it out as well when i was looking around , unfortunately did not settle properly on my wrist so had to skip - the one i have in mind is on the below link - not the best image , it looks better in person !

Skagen 858XLSLC Gents Watch, Skagen Wrist Watch, Skagen Watches Price India, Skagen Gents Casual Watch - Infibeam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I had bought this watch - post 858. I too don't have complaints as such, but what I meant was for the price, I could have bought a better one. They make pretty stylish watches for sure and this one was an impulsive buy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2244203

Old 7th October 2011, 14:15   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, i didn't check their website actually. Anyway you can see the pics here
http://www.orientalwatchsite.com/for...65-2er00002d0/
Maybe its not made anymore. But Check out the Orient Mako (blue and Black looks nice) mentioned by VCash.
OrientWatchUSA.com | Maintenance

Rates are lower at Amazon.
Use iloveorient to get a 50% discount on Automatic Watches | Orient Watch USA

Should be cheaper than Amazon.
Old 7th October 2011, 14:25   #1122
BHPian

This being a automobile fanatics forum, I was wondering how similar the watches are to an automobile or a car. Both are well engineered and a beautiful products when every thing works and a night mare to live with when they start throwing tauntrams.

We all have our favorites, sometimes we like one particular model/brand over other ( some times for no apparent reason).

Here is two of my daily ware watches. The Breitling Montbrillant Datora was posted earlier as well. Posting the picture of Rolex submariner first time.

In my opinion these two brands are good entry level luxury automatic watch brands catering mainly to sport markets ( can be compared to Merc and BMW of the car world in terms of pricing and stature)

Though my absolute favorites are Audemars Piguet royal oak ( posted a couple in earlier posts) for sports watch and Patek Philippe for a formal/dress watch. ( The ferrari and rolls Royce)

Just curious how fellow BHPians will associate a watch brand to a car brand.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-imag0063.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-imag0062.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-imag0064.jpg  

Old 7th October 2011, 20:22   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Excellent choice, I must say. I wear my Rolex GMT-II constantly. Thought of getting the Breitling, but its is too clustered for my liking. What I like about GMT-II is the rotating time zone ring, which I use as a low resolution timer for as diverse tasks as timing the Roast to timing the drive to timing the Dog Walk!
Old 8th October 2011, 00:47   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Found a few Tissot automatics that I liked. Sadly, by dollar prices, they are WAY beyond my budget. But still, here they are:

Tissot Couturier Men's Black Automatic Chronograph Leather Watch

Tissot Veloci-T Men's Black Automatic Chronograph Sports Watch

Tissot PRC 200 Men's Black Automatic Chronograph Sport Watch

This one is slightly more affordable but I am not sure if it will go with all my clothes:

http://www.tissotshop.com/men/tissot...sic-watch.html

The PRC-200 Quartz are within budget but the automatics are not.

Last edited by architect : 8th October 2011 at 00:49.
Old 8th October 2011, 19:57   #1125
BHPian

My collection:

1. HMT Roman moonphase Quartz, bought in year 2000

2. Swatch Irony Quartz, purchased in year 2003

one more to follow, waiting to be captured!
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-hmtroman.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-swatch.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks