Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 17:17   #1276
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
That's a beauty! Is the "date just about to change" effect due to the cyclops eye or did you deliberately time the photo session that way?

Cheers,
Vikram
that is due to projecting magnifying glass and angle of photo
Old 27th February 2012, 17:34   #1277
BHPian

Adding to the Casio Lineup.

SGW300HB-3AV - Sports - Mens Digital Watch - Sports - Green
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-watch.jpg  

Old 27th February 2012, 19:15   #1278
Senior - BHPian

I read an article a few days back about government planning to charge "wealth tax" from people who own watches that cost more than 50K.

Google search listed this and this topic.

Can anyone shed more light on this? Is it a one time tax that you pay at the time of billing a watch or is it a tax that would be charged year on year?

regards
Old 28th February 2012, 17:06   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a beauty! Is the "date just about to change" effect due to the cyclops eye or did you deliberately time the photo session that way?

Cheers,
Vikram
Thank you.

No the effect of "date just about to change" is because of the cyclops eye. The shot is taken at an angle to get rid of the flash bounce.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 18:10   #1280
BHPian

An Omega, a Seiko and a Stingray, but of late all are gathering dust and only the Samsung is used for time, date and almost anything else. My mobile
Old 28th February 2012, 20:00   #1281
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,
Vikram
ARoy already confirmed that it is due to the camera angle.

But another way to tell is to look at the hand positions. The date mechanism on that watch is active (starts doing its thing) between 10 PM and 2 AM on the white hands. The watch is showing 3:50, could be PM or AM, but in either case outside of the date change window.

Aroy,

Props on wearing it 24/7, the right way to wear a Rolex tool watch.

What do you use the 24hr. hand for? Looks like another timezone and not AM/PM.
axp817 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 20:12   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axp817 View Post
Aroy,

Props on wearing it 24/7, the right way to wear a Rolex tool watch.

What do you use the 24hr. hand for? Looks like another timezone and not AM/PM.
1. I have set the basic offset for GMT. So if the arrow on the outer ring is set to 12 o clock, the 24 hour hand is 5 hours behind (they have no 1/2 hour setting!), so I set the arrow at 2.5 min beyond 12 and get 5 1/2 hours offset. Useful while traveling abroad.

2. Normally I use the outer ring as a coarse stop watch. Align it with the minute hand, and subsequently check the elapsed time. Pretty useful while taking the dog for a walk, or baking or for that matter where you need the timer for less than an hour accurate within a minute or so.
Old 28th February 2012, 20:34   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
So if the arrow on the outer ring is set to 12 o clock, the 24 hour hand is 5 hours behind
5 hrs. behind on the 12 hr. (inner) dial, looks like?

And you're right, I forgot the GMT had a rotating Bezel (unlike the Exp-II), and you can actually read 3 time-zones on it and not just 2. Or do two time-zones and AM/PM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
(they have no 1/2 hour setting!)
No watch does. That is because time-zones are always multiples of a full-hour apart.

India is a special case. The way the longitudes are, the Western-most (Gujarat?) and Eastern-most (Bengal?) tips of India should be an hour apart from each other, but the country doesn't want to deal with different time-zones, so they chose to have one time-zone for the entire country that was 5 1/2 hours ahead of GMT, instead of the left half of the country being 5 hours ahead and the right, 6.
Old 28th February 2012, 21:14   #1284
BHPian

Well, I bought my self a Fossil 'Just Sport' watch last year from some cash I made myself through outsourcing some articles.
Its a really cool watch and I'm in love with it, to start with its got crystal indices, a crystal lens type front glass, stainless steel and chrome wrist chain and also a stylish date indicator. The needles and the "12" glow in the dark, I love the attention to detail, the way the seconds needle has been cut in an edgy way, the placing of crystals on the frame and also the mix of chrome and polished steel on the wrist chain.
One thing the camera cant capture is the way this thing glitters in direct sunlight, it's nice.
The best part of it is the accuracy, my old G-shock and Edifice had to be adjusted once a month for sharp timekeeping, but this works perfectly well and stops all of a sudden when the battery runs out, speaking of which the battery lasts just 1 year compared to 5+ on digital and analogue casio watches.
Which watch do you own?-24012010366.jpg
Which watch do you own?-24012010371.jpg
Which watch do you own?-240120103669.jpg
Old 4th March 2012, 18:33   #1285
BHPian

Since you guys are interested in buying watches, thought this link might help you. eBay.com (the US region) has a sale in which expensive watches have upto 89% discount.

Time To Save
Old 5th March 2012, 00:44   #1286
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I also wanted 200m version (250 series), but that is not available in India.
So today I stepped into Casio showroom in Mota Arcade on Brigade road, hoping to decide between PRG 240 and PRG 130. I was stunned to see PRG250 on display, albeit with a resin brand.

PRG 250 was the model I wanted in the first place, but I was told it is not available in India yet. And here it was... after some squirming about the band, I bought it. Cost me 16k, the MRP is 16995.

Just shot this pic... my first 200m water resistance watch with altitude meter, temp gauge, barometer, compass, tide graph, moon phases, etc, etc.

Which watch do you own?-p3050342.jpg

Eventually I want to change to a black leather strap. Any idea where to get a Casio compatible strap?
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 05:56   #1287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thinking of buying a Casio Protrek. The shop at the mall is quoting MRP. What is the best online site to buy it?

Has anyone used CasioIndiaClub.com ?
I have the Pathfinder (American brand name for the same model sold in Europe/Asia)
But I bought it an Amazon last year.

Helios was charging the same at around 16K. It was about 9K in Amazon.

This is the one I have (The one which you wanted to buy and ended up buying 250!.) PAG240T
Amazon.com: Casio Men's PAG240T-7CR Pathfinder Triple Sensor Multi-Function Titanium Watch: Casio: Watches

I have the one with Titanium. I dont like the leather straps as they get wet due to sweat.
Also do you get leather straps for these watches? I think you get those synthetic or a titanium ones.
Titanium ones are very nice and very very light.

PS: Congrats on the new buy!

Last edited by ampere : 5th March 2012 at 06:14.
Old 5th March 2012, 07:26   #1288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Eventually I want to change to a black leather strap. Any idea where to get a Casio compatible strap?
Why not the Casio service centers ? And do you think a metal strap will be better - wont get dirty / much easier to clean ?
Old 5th March 2012, 09:37   #1289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Helios was charging the same at around 16K. It was about 9K in Amazon.

This is the one I have (The one which you wanted to buy and ended up buying 250!.) PAG240T
Amazon.com: Casio Men's PAG240T-7CR Pathfinder Triple Sensor Multi-Function Titanium Watch: Casio: Watches
Yes, I was looking for the 240 since 250 was not available anywhere. But when I came across 250, I couldn't resist. The 240 and 110 series are 100m water resistant, while 250 and 130 series are 200m water resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have the one with Titanium. I dont like the leather straps as they get wet due to sweat.
Also do you get leather straps for these watches? I think you get those synthetic or a titanium ones.
I was looking for the titanium, but settled for resin assuming I will change the band some day. Resin band can easily break when exposed to heat. I have broken multiple resin bands before.

Leather is a very durable and one of the most resilient material found in nature. It is also one of the oldest material known to man, pre-dates all kind of metals. Most of us still use leather wallets, shoes and belts. So I prefer leather. If it gets wet, it also dries fast.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:00   #1290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Leather is a very durable and one of the most resilient material found in nature. It is also one of the oldest material known to man, pre-dates all kind of metals. Most of us still use leather wallets, shoes and belts. So I prefer leather. If it gets wet, it also dries fast.
What I meant was, for such Casio watches (heavy ones) are there leather
options?

Agreed on your point about leather, but somehow, my experience with was not
very good. Every 6 months, I ended up changing (The ones found at Titan).

After that I never looked at leather. Its been metal for last 15 years.
And of all this, I really liked the Titanium the most. If you want Titanium straps,
you can also check at Helios (Indiranagar/Koramangala). They may have.

Last edited by ampere : 5th March 2012 at 10:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks