Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2017, 03:09   #2911
Senior - BHPian

I have many watches but majority are Titan, Timex, etc. Out of these, one I really liked is HMT Tennmax which I bought when it was launched due to vfm price as well as fresh design. I was in college when I bought it and never wore it for good amount of time as I prefer steel or silver over gold. But after a gap of almost 16-17 years, I just found that watch lying somewhere and immediately got new battery installed last month and it is working like a charm and showing accurate time also. Never ever imagined while buying that watch that I would be keeping it for so long. As visible in the pic it still has the shine.

I am also posting pic of another gold coloured watch that was an impulsive buy from JCB online store. The arrow showing the day of the week was too hard to resist and I ended up buying it. I paid 999 or 1199 IIRC.

I also have Aviator Chronograph from Titan which is my fav. Will post pic some other time.

Now I am seriously itching for buying an Automatic one solely due to this thread, may end up buying Seiko but Titan is my first preference.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-1491514474644.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-1491514499998.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-1491514589084.jpg  

Last edited by carwatcher : 7th April 2017 at 03:11.
Old 9th April 2017, 02:42   #2912
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

I don't have much experience with Titan watches, but I believe they make some good watches. I do have several HMTs though, especially the Pilot. I truly believe the Pilot range going to be extremely collectible in the coming years. It's just a personal opinion though
Old 9th April 2017, 08:14   #2913
BHPian

Re: Which watch would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
I still have an Omega that someone gave my grandfather in the early 60s. It was kept in a locker for about 20+ years. I got it out and had it serviced at a local (though reputed) guy. It runs like a charm.
Can you share a picture?

I have a lovely early 1960's Omega Seamaster Automatic. It belonged to my grandfather and has been kept in a locker for many many years. It is not in the best of shape. The crown is missing, needs a strap and a lot of TLC. Trying to figure out how to get it going. A quick google search on on Omega's Indian affilate site yielded an estimate as much as a entry level Longines I am not sure how competent a local guy would be.

For the Delhi guys, are there any recommendations in Delhi for service/refurbish of an Omega?

Thanks in advance!
Old 9th April 2017, 11:21   #2914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Can you share a picture?

I have a lovely early 1960's Omega Seamaster Automatic. It belonged to my grandfather and has been kept in a locker for many many years. It is not in the best of shape. The crown is missing, needs a strap and a lot of TLC. Trying to figure out how to get it going. A quick google search on on Omega's Indian affilate site yielded an estimate as much as a entry level Longines I am not sure how competent a local guy would be.

For the Delhi guys, are there any recommendations in Delhi for service/refurbish of an Omega?

Thanks in advance!
There is Omega Official Service Centre (location on the net), and then there is Kapoor Watch Service Centre at South Extension-II. The repair Rolex, Tag and all Swatch Brands, both during warranty period and after.

Some brands like Rolex change a lot of parts during service (estimate 40K last year), and some just service, oil and adjust, but service costs for mechanical watches at large centres can go beyond 10K. Crown and strap will set you back by at least another 10k.

Last edited by Aroy : 9th April 2017 at 11:24.
Old 10th April 2017, 01:05   #2915
BHPian

Quote:
Can you share a picture?
Which watch do you own?-omv1.jpg

Which watch do you own?-omv2.jpg

It's a Caliber 320.

Quote:
A quick google search on on Omega's Indian affilate site yielded an estimate as much as a entry level Longines I am not sure how competent a local guy would be.
If you get it serviced officially, it'll cost you a pretty penny, but it'll come back looking like a million bucks.

However, it is possible to get a good, local watchmaker to fix it, for a far smaller price. The only issue is the availability of spare parts.
Old 13th April 2017, 04:58   #2916

Had a busy week, hence was unable to participate in the discussions. I thought about the different suggestions and being a person who appreciates mechanical watches i will be considering an automatic. I understand that the maintenance would be expensive, however that's something i can live with.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions!! Ill check in Ethos store when i am in India.

Cheers!!
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:14   #2917
BHPian

Planning to buy a mid-size automatic dive watch for myself and have zeroed down to the Seiko SKX013. Could someone shed some light on where to buy the same? Thanks in advance
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:27   #2918
BHPian

Hi guys, I am owning two watches and both came to me as a birthday gift. One from my brother and cousin, 4 years back and another one from my wife last year.

1. Fastrack ss back 50m wr 3001sdd: The glass recently broke, I fixed it and it again broke on the same day coming out of showroom. :banghead:
I am still going ahead and sharing the picture. Pardon me for that.

2. Casio Edifice Analog EF-130D
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-1492930218199.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-1492930231543.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-1492930249114.jpg  

Last edited by Kratos453 : 23rd April 2017 at 12:29.
Old 23rd April 2017, 13:27   #2919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Planning to buy a mid-size automatic dive watch for myself and have zeroed down to the Seiko SKX013. Could someone shed some light on where to buy the same? Thanks in advance

Although Seiko is officially available in India, I haven't been able to find that model on the website. I think you might need to import it. However, there seem to be plenty of official Seiko stores in your city. So maybe you could call up Seiko and ask them if they have this model available in the country, and if yes, which store in Trivandrum is likely to have it. Thir office number is: +91-80-4939 5900
Old 23rd April 2017, 16:57   #2920
BHPian

Quote:
Although Seiko is officially available in India, I haven't been able to find that model on the website. I think you might need to import it. However, there seem to be plenty of official Seiko stores in your city. So maybe you could call up Seiko and ask them if they have this model available in the country, and if yes, which store in Trivandrum is likely to have it. Thir office number is: +91-80-4939 5900
Thanks for the response mate. I did happen to visit their official store at Lulu Mall Cochin and was shocked to find that even the iconic SKX007/009 was not being sold in India, let alone the SKX013. So the only option remains overseas purchase.

Scouted through some international watch sales websites and found the same on creationwatches.com. Anyone here happened to buy from them?
Old 23rd April 2017, 17:04   #2921
BHPian

I think creation watches is a legit site. I don't know why, but there isn't a huge variety of the Seiko diver series available in India, even though it seems to be their most popular one (at least amongst watch lovers).

Word of advice - you could import watches without paying any duties earlier on. However, the Customs department is pretty strict nowadays. So your best bet might be to ask someone to bring it back, if they're traveling abroad.
Old 24th April 2017, 18:24   #2922
BHPian

Quote:
I think creation watches is a legit site. I don't know why, but there isn't a huge variety of the Seiko diver series available in India, even though it seems to be their most popular one (at least amongst watch lovers).

Word of advice - you could import watches without paying any duties earlier on. However, the Customs department is pretty strict nowadays. So your best bet might be to ask someone to bring it back, if they're traveling abroad.
A good friend of mine has agreed to pick one up for me from singapore. Thanks for the help buddy.
Old 25th April 2017, 14:07   #2923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
A good friend of mine has agreed to pick one up for me from singapore. Thanks for the help buddy.
My pleasure

I'll look forward to the pics!
Old 25th April 2017, 19:56   #2924
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Are Orient watches officially available in India? If yes, where do I find them? has anyone picked one up? Any help and leads would be appreciated. I am specifically looking for dress watched from their Bambino range.

Edit: Noticed that they are available on Amazon global store, but seem to be priced at a premium. Anyone here who has purchased these online from Amazon? Do they come with warranty?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 25th April 2017 at 20:01.
Old 26th April 2017, 12:56   #2925
Senior - BHPian

Presently I have Mi Band 2 for activity tracking and Casio Protek as my watch. Both are great in the job they do. But I just can't bring myself to wear both together and yet I want all the functionality the two offer together.
Is there a digital watch which also offers activity tracking functionality? Note I need a digital watch which can do activity tracking and not a wearable which can show time. Any suggestions?

So far my search has yielded only one such watch the CASIO SGW200. But the problem is that it while its good for running, it is is poor in tracking other activities.

Last edited by rrsteer : 26th April 2017 at 12:57.

Most Viewed