Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2019, 13:18   #3841
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Update on my wife’s Longiness. So I contacted Longiness Europe mid February about my wife’s watch again. Again it was running slow. Remember, they replaced the movement and just about everything else only a year ago. And it had been back for repairs twice before that. So this was going to be the fourth repair in just as many years.

Came back last week. Again a new movement and lots of other parts replaced again. All under warrantee / no cost to us at all. Which is excellent service of course. Still, you would not expect to have to return a watch like this just about every year.

So fingers crossed how long it will last. The only thing they have not replaced by now is the actual case!

Which watch do you own?-longiness.jpeg
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 13:25   #3842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Update on my wife’s Longiness. So I contacted Longiness Europe mid February about my wife’s watch again. Again it was running slow.
Isn't the problem of running slow or fast just because of some magnetic effect on the moving parts? I have been noticing my NOMOS is loosing roughly 30 seconds in a day. I had it reset to the accurate seconds today morning and decided to observe it over the next couple of days! Very strange to me!
Old 22nd April 2019, 13:32   #3843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Isn't the problem of running slow or fast just because of some magnetic effect on the moving parts? !
A watch should run within a certain accuracy. 15-20 minutes slow per day is without a doubt way of and much more than any effects from magnetism.

Magnetic effect are a known problem area, but then again, during normal wear of a watch how often does one come into contact with powerful magnets?

Some jewellers claim the security gates at airports are bad for watches. But if that was the case, none of my watches should be working accurately anymore. I pass through those gates several times a week and have been doing so for decades. Never a problem.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 14:00   #3844
BHPian

Quote:
A watch should run within a certain accuracy. 15-20 minutes slow per day is without a doubt way of and much more than any effects from magnetism.

Magnetic effect are a known problem area, but then again, during normal wear of a watch how often does one come into contact with powerful magnets?

Some jewellers claim the security gates at airports are bad for watches. But if that was the case, none of my watches should be working accurately anymore. I pass through those gates several times a week and have been doing so for decades. Never a problem.

Jeroen
Ok! I was unaware that you are experiencing 15 to 20 minutes deviation. Now this is totally unacceptable! Longines should better give you a replacement if it still under 2 years, given the fact that they already repaired it, but the problem still persists!
Old 24th April 2019, 14:17   #3845
BHPian

I was in Japan last week and the sheer amount of choices in watches is mind boggling. As my heart was set on the Grand Seiko, I finally picked up the SBGV225. The Grand Seiko quartz movement (9F) is supposed to be amazing. As far as the watch itself, the polish and the sunburst dial (blue) is like a piece of art.
Old 24th April 2019, 16:25   #3846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaguy19 View Post
I was in Japan last week and the sheer amount of choices in watches is mind boggling. As my heart was set on the Grand Seiko, I finally picked up the SBGV225. The Grand Seiko quartz movement (9F) is supposed to be amazing. As far as the watch itself, the polish and the sunburst dial (blue) is like a piece of art.
Congrats, the blue dial on the GS SBGV225 is absolutely stunning. Can you post some pics of it? Did you pick it up new, or used? How much did it cost you?

Is it a sub-40 mm dial?
Old 24th April 2019, 19:31   #3847
BHPian

Quote:
Still, you would not expect to have to return a watch like this just about every year.

So fingers crossed how long it will last.

Attachment 1870478
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. I wonder if the quality of the brand has deteriorated, or if your watch just happens to be a lemon.

My dad has a Longines Evidenza automatic and it has been running like, well, clockwork for over a decade now. Other than the winding required after not using it for a few days, of course.

Speaking of which, he does not use the watch daily.
Old 26th April 2019, 11:34   #3848
Distinguished - BHPian

I do like watches but prefer a digital one, not a fan of analogue ones. My favorite has been Casio. I've also used HMT ASTRA when it was launched. I've been a proud owner of a Casio ProTrek for last over 4 years, been using it daily.
Which watch do you own?-img_20190426_112247_bokeh__01.jpg

Yesterday one of the pins in it's strap broke. So I had to fall back on my Casio F-91W which is over 6 years old and was literally left untouched since ProTrek came. Surprisingly, the watch is still good, and working.

Which watch do you own?-img_20190426_113234_bokeh__01.jpg

Now an itch is there to look for another watch and was just browsing across Casio products when I came across it's ProTrek smart watch https://www.casioindiashop.com/Watch...oor-Watch.html.
Has anyone used it or using it right now? Can I get some honest feedback?

Which watch do you own?-screenshot_20190426113051__01.jpg
Which watch do you own?-screenshot_20190426112929__01.jpg
Old 30th April 2019, 23:00   #3849
BANNED

I have this (somewhat rare) Mechanical Hand-Wound HMT Janata with Arabic numerals. I find it a little small and feminine for my large wrists, and was thinking of getting it converted into a quartz, and gifting it to a female friend of mine.

The power reserve's pretty decent, but today's generation doesn't appreciate the old world charm of winding your watch in the morning.

Any leads as to who would be able to do the conversion properly?

Edit: I'm based in Delhi NCR
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-1556645157317.jpg  

Last edited by HyperRetard : 30th April 2019 at 23:00. Reason: forgot location
Old 30th April 2019, 23:34   #3850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Attachment 1871370

Yesterday one of the pins in it's strap broke.

I am having exactly the same watch. Love it. Used it for 3 years and then suddenly the strap from the joint of the main body came off. And surprisingly there is only one authorized Casio service center in Mumbai and its located in Dadar. Will take it there soon for strap renewal.

Years before the Pro trek series was released by Casio, I had the Casio Forester and faced the same strap issue, 2 years after usage.
Old 30th April 2019, 23:59   #3851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
I have this (somewhat rare) Mechanical Hand-Wound HMT Janata with Arabic numerals. I find it a little small and feminine for my large wrists, and was thinking of getting it converted into a quartz, and gifting it to a female friend of mine.

The power reserve's pretty decent, but today's generation doesn't appreciate the old world charm of winding your watch in the morning.

Don't do it!! Such non- English Janata have their own charms, and someone who can't appreciate the beauty of a mechanical movement frankly is undeserving of such art. I have been searching for such piece for long :(

Give her a fastrack or any such quartz watch that will cost around 500-800. Don't butcher the Janata! Give it to someone who can appreciate what it is.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 09:30   #3852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post

That is a lovely watch. Rare now, since the factories shut down. I would buy it from you NOW! Please do not alter it. Wind it once in 5-6 weeks to keep the mainspring barrel running. It is a keeper—for life!
Old 1st May 2019, 09:45   #3853
BHPian

I was recently gifted this Maserati watch ( made by Morellato ) by my father's boss, for clearing CA. Wear this for special occasions now.

Which watch do you own?-whatsapp-image-20190501-9.38.28-am.jpeg

I was eyeing something in this design, but till now only Hublot had caught my attention. That was way way above my pay-grade for now.

My daily driver is a Kenneth Cole Reaction, working superbly for 10 years, modded with a Aliexpress silicone belt.

Which watch do you own?-whatsapp-image-20190501-9.44.20-am.jpeg
Old 1st May 2019, 13:27   #3854
Senior - BHPian

It’s a smartwatch so not sure if it fits this thread but I just got my Amazfit Verge delivered. I’ve shared why I chose this watch here . (The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread)

Really happy with it. Sharing a quick pic: Which watch do you own?-a14bcb3ee2ed4d15a0b5b0b807a57332.jpeg

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 1st May 2019 at 13:29.
Old 3rd May 2019, 17:29   #3855
BHPian

Until now, I have only lusted after nice time pieces and have read about a few in this thread. But now is the time to pick one up. The budget I have earmarked for my first premium watch is close to €1200 (Rs. 1 lakh). I would request some advise on the below points:
1) Which movement to consider in this price range? I am leaning towards an automatic movement since I haven´t had a watch with one yet and it intrigues me.
2) Which brands to look out for? Currently, I am considering Longines, Hamilton and even Rado.
3) Any specific watches to consider? I am open to leather strap and metal strap, not rubber. I am also open to considering an understated design or a sporty one depending on what catches the fancy.

Looking for some help from fellow members here.

Thanks,
Aman

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks