Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2008, 10:07   #1561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Is there someway that someone can subscribe to the thread without actually posting in it ? bookmarking is tedious and there are no updates in it right ? what to do ?
There is a "Subscribe to the thread" option inside the "Thread Tools" link. It is at the top of every opened thread, just under the page numbers.
Old 7th September 2008, 11:46   #1562
BHPian

Can we use embedded video in our posts? This will further enrich our experiences. Please consider.

Ta

MK
Old 7th September 2008, 14:33   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyKING View Post
Can we use embedded video in our posts? This will further enrich our experiences. Please consider.
That's the first suggestion that Speedzak made at the recent TBHP Goa meet. We are evaluating options.

Thanks
Old 7th September 2008, 19:08   #1564
BHPian

one option i would like to see would be the ability to quickly list all the threads that i have responded. Sure, this can be achieved today by going to the search option and typing my username and clicking the search button to list the threads but the problem with this is couple of pages of navigation and the link for this search is dynamic so it cannot be bookmarked. Is there a possibility to provide a static link like the 'New posts' link to be able to bookmark and list easily?
Old 7th September 2008, 20:14   #1565
BHPian

Tell you a simpler way, Nemo. Click on your user profile (in the post above) and choose "find more posts by nemo".

If you want to see thread results, then the way that you have highlit is best.
Old 7th September 2008, 21:29   #1566
BHPian

I believe that the current system of designating members as 'Newbie', 'BHPian' and 'Senior BHPian' has inherent lacunae.

I have come across members who have 1000+ posts and are designated 'Senior BHPians', whose posts are usually single liners like "Great. Keep them coming" and "Nice post. We are ready for more" which has no value addition.

Is it possible to classify members by contribution, rather than by number of posts?

No offense to anyone in particular.

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 7th September 2008, 22:07   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
...I have come across members who have 1000+ posts and are designated 'Senior BHPians', whose posts are usually single liners like "Great. Keep them coming" and "Nice post. We are ready for more" which has no value addition...
This is a great suggestion but a difficult one to implement. Marking a post as 'useful' or 'of value' cannot be done thru an automated process, hence a manual (aka MOD's) intervention would be required.

This will literally mean that each and every post made by a user had to go to the evaluation queue and marked accordingly, which will be too much of an overhead. And this is very subjective as to how 'useful' a post is.

The other way will be to mark a post (like we have currently for the thread) the rating. But then, this (AFAIK) can be done only for a thread and not for any post other than the initial post; but this also has the risk of manipulation if people form a group in rating each other - meaning, either not possible or not worth the effort.

As I see now, the best we have now is the D-BHPian rank and I believe that this ranking is what actually matters.
Old 8th September 2008, 00:22   #1568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
one option i would like to see would be the ability to quickly list all the threads that i have responded.....
Nemo, i think i have what you are looking for (although it will not work retroactively)

In your User CP > Edit Options > Default Thread Subscription Mode >
Select - No email notifications

This will automatically subscribe you to every thread you reply in.

To view all the subscribed threads, go to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/subscr...ewsubscription.

To fix the problem of it not working retro-actively : i think you will need to subscribe to each of the 85 threads you have already replied to manually / individually! (or it will happen the next time you post in the thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
...Is it possible to classify members by contribution, rather than by number of posts?...
Hi Rajan,

This has been suggested before, and we have considered a "members rate other members' contributions" system. (Some other forums call this "karma points" etc - however, every system has its shortcomings and dissadvantages, and at that point we decided to stick to the current system for several reasons. For eg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
....And this is very subjective as to how 'useful' a post is.....

....but this also has the risk of manipulation if people form a group in rating each other - meaning, either not possible or not worth the effort.

Either way, dont give too much importance to rankings and post count. Take a look at peoples posting style and contributions and you should be ok

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th September 2008 at 00:23.
Old 8th September 2008, 07:12   #1569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PatchyBoy : I have come across members who have 1000+ posts and are designated 'Senior BHPians', whose posts are usually single liners ... which has no value addition.
The worst I have come across here is one member who posted saying he is not saying anything because he has nothing to say about the subject that was being discussed.

There's lots of such posts, by many TBHP-ians. Some impatient Newbie's also do that to get through the 'Newbie' status, but it's some of the senior BHP-ians who surpise me with some of their posts.
Old 8th September 2008, 11:32   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
That's the first suggestion that Speedzak made at the recent TBHP Goa meet. We are evaluating options.
Best and simplest video embedding mod for vBulletin that I have used is called AME (I think). Just upload video to youtube, or other video site, post the link in the forum and this will automatically embed the video in the post. User does not have to learn new tags
Old 8th September 2008, 14:15   #1571
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you see a one-liner post that adds no value, please use the "report this post to a moderator" function. We take spam very seriously.

@ Srijit : Thanks.
Old 8th September 2008, 14:41   #1572
Team-BHP Support

GTO, i believe the above does not apply to threads in the Shifting Gears section. After all, replies here are more general and not automobile related, and to top it all, adds nothing to the total post count.
Old 8th September 2008, 19:38   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nemo, i think i have what you are looking for (although it will not work retroactively)

In your User CP > Edit Options > Default Thread Subscription Mode >
Select - No email notifications

This will automatically subscribe you to every thread you reply in.

To view all the subscribed threads, go to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/subscr...ewsubscription.

To fix the problem of it not working retro-actively : i think you will need to subscribe to each of the 85 threads you have already replied to manually / individually! (or it will happen the next time you post in the thread).

R
Rehaan, thanks for the workaround. This will solve my problem for now :-)
Old 12th September 2008, 13:01   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Something for a thought:

Was wondering why we have a Skoda's picture on the forum (top right).

Even though the machine is a good one, but not an all rounder. Not that we have too many all rounders, but with these people with their messed up A.S.S , dont we need a better one?

Better one - Which one?

Scorpio - this will have Safari's up in arms.
Safari - this will have Scorpio's up in arms.
Honda - oh yeah! With the latest series of mess that they are getting into!
Toyota - mmm.....
Amby - our very own; but with the outdated looks! OMG!
Fiat - Again A.S.S and cost / unavailability of spares.
Nano - will be interesting...
Jeep - MM, our very own Indian (mini) Hummers!

If nothing else, why not have a Porsche, Ferrari or a Lamborghini?

Comments please...
Old 12th September 2008, 13:16   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hold on a wee bit longer; Me and Rudra are in discussion to introduce a formal distribution system for stickers.
This was posted in January 2008. Is there any system in place now? I really have been looking for Tbhp stickers and T-shirts for a long time.

Most Viewed