Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 22:24   #2206
Senior - BHPian

Guys The Indian Car Scene has become cluttered by having all of them(Cars/SUV/MUV/Hatches) in one single section it looks very unprofessional.

It is better to have different sections such as in What Car section or by differentiating with company names for indian brands and keep others in a import.

Last edited by gowda79 : 11th May 2009 at 22:35.
Old 11th May 2009, 22:30   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
A couple of my friends who have signed up to join the forum say that its been ages since they applied, but their approvals are still pending. Is there really so much of a delay? Anything that can be done to expedite the process?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Yea even I faced that problem.
I believe the official response is to use the contact us link at the bottom of the page. Not sure if it helps though.
Old 11th May 2009, 22:42   #2208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
...But if team bhp wishes to claim to stand for the truth, I think it should be prepared to walk the talk. Please note that I am not discussing any mod decisions here, Just requesting the admin/mod team to apply the standards to itself what it expects from others
T-BHP is a private forum, and due to that, the admin's (aka the person who runs the place) is the final authority. And MOD's as extended representatives, also have a part of that (absolute) authority.

But, this would be OK in a forum which does not want to publicise that it stands for truth and integrity. If that is so, then there should be a certain level of transparency.

We have had decisions which comes to light only when someone rakes up a question, else it just goes unnoticed. And we also have decisions, for which when have posts asking for the basis of doing so, gets deleted silently with no response.

True that decisions are made after due debate in the MOD's forum, but then, does it hurt to share the reasoning with the members? This will at least give the members a better idea of why such an action was done!

Anyway, as I said, this is still a private forum. So, there end's the discussion.
Old 11th May 2009, 22:59   #2209
BHPian

Wow, these posts calling for self-regulation only serve to reinforce the commitment to integrity of T-BHP members I'm quite impressed.

I didn't even know anything had happened to Tirthankar.

Last edited by Perakath : 11th May 2009 at 23:00.
Old 11th May 2009, 23:05   #2210
Team-BHP Support

If a guy gets fired in your office for some wrong doing, does the CEO or HR send out a mail to everyone stating the reason the employee was fired?

I don't think it's any different here. Some disciplinary action has to be taken and all and sundry don't need to be told why so and so person was banned. Put yourself in the same shoes. If you were banned would you want a post by the mods in public saying why you were banned?

I agree with ripper on one point. The reason for infraction can be put up on profile page. Currently the offending post has the red flag and if you click on that it will give the reason for infraction. It's a bit tedious finding the post for the reason the member was infracted.
Old 11th May 2009, 23:09   #2211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
If a guy gets fired in your office for some wrong doing, does the CEO or HR send out a mail to everyone stating the reason the employee was fired?
Well, it may not be the exact reason for dismissal, but atleast a hint of what was involved becomes known. For example: people fired for producing fake documents/bills.
Old 11th May 2009, 23:12   #2212
BHPian

Suggestion regarding this thread itself-- perhaps a new official 'suggestions' thread could be created every calendar year and the old ones closed? How many pages will this thread have in a few years? And that means new members could have a reasonable number of pages to read through to see that year's suggestions.
Old 11th May 2009, 23:17   #2213
Team-BHP Support

Even here you do get a hint. If you find the offending post you will see a red card at the bottom. If you click the red card it will show the reason for infraction and who gave the infraction as well.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/infra...view&p=1266754
Old 11th May 2009, 23:19   #2214
Team-BHP Support

As quoted by greenhorn, GTO has already put it very succinctly why we don't publicize all the details. As long as the member in question is aware, the purpose is served.
Old 11th May 2009, 23:22   #2215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Not that I am joining issue here on the mod actions, but I thought it maybe interesting to note that some companies actually do publicize in the organization when they need to fire someone for ethical reasons/wrong doing, so there is an example, and also there is a clear communication about non-tolerance of certain behavior and its consequences...
Old 12th May 2009, 01:39   #2216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
If that is so, then there should be a certain level of transparency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Well, it may not be the exact reason for dismissal, but atleast a hint of what was involved becomes known. For example: people fired for producing fake documents/bills.
Have you considered the possibility that perhaps the banned person does not wish to discuss the matter in public? The banned person is free to PM back the mods to clarify his infraction. I am just speaking in general here.
Old 12th May 2009, 03:14   #2217
Senior - BHPian

I guess I need to pipe up again. So what if things get deleted again.

I see two distinct points here - one is already debated about openness et al.

The other is throwing the baby out with the baby water. Maybe the CCU-BLR threads had lesser value - the Varanasi one definitely had value. Atleast the initial posts that I had read.

That is as much a commitment to quality - if sms addicted newbies' posts can be edited - could a bunch of the offending posts/attachments not have been deleted - to separate the chaff from the unacceptable portions.

I see three mods and one DBHPian replying so far but all have been completely mum on this - would like to understand their perspective on the same.
Old 12th May 2009, 03:23   #2218
Distinguished - BHPian

The first rule of the forum is that if you don't have anything constructive to add, it's best to say nothing. Which is why I said nothing so far. But you asked for perspectives and Ialways have a perspective. So here is mine:

I choose to respect moderator decisions.

If I wish to question any decision by the support team, I contact them by either PM or by using the contact form. I have always got a reply. Sometimes the matter is discussed well before I receive my reply. I see no good from questioning support activities in a public thread.

The support team runs the quality control here. If you wish to raise a doubt, you're free to do so. In private.

I trust the support team to run Team-BHP well, because that is their job. I may not agree with them always, they're human after all, but someone has to lead and it is the support team that has led Team-BHP to the quality level it has today.

And I know what I'm talking about. I'm 3 points away from a ban myself. I'll bet you don't know why, lol.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 12th May 2009 at 03:27.
Old 12th May 2009, 10:26   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And I know what I'm talking about. I'm 3 points away from a ban myself. I'll bet you don't know why, lol.
I was shocked to see the infraction since I always found your posts with impeccable language and civility. So, had done some digging, and it seems related to certain liquids - however, there was no driving involved, and I was left confused, quite puzzled really ...
Old 12th May 2009, 10:48   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
...I trust the support team to run Team-BHP well, because that is their job. I may not agree with them always, they're human after all, but someone has to lead and it is the support team that has led Team-BHP to the quality level it has today...
This sums it up very nicely. I believe this is what the whole point of dicussion is. Different people, different strokes.

So, when a action is taken (not refering to ban's and such, those are too sensitive to be publicized and will not be fair to the person affected, whatever the reason) on posts / threads, it would be great to see a MOD note at the end with a write up as to why the thread might have been closed or moved. We currently have such notes when a post is edited by a MOD, and also have certain posts edited out completely with the reason. Would be great if similar lines are taken for few more actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Have you considered the possibility that perhaps the banned person does not wish to discuss the matter in public? ...
Thanks for the response, MPower. But, I was never refering to a ban or a infraction. Those are not meant to be publicized, as that would be more like a public lashing of the person - certainly not anyone wants.

Regardless, it is really great to see a discussion of this kind here!

Most Viewed