Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 22:02   #2236
Senior - BHPian

Ok well consider this situation :

I have been banned/banished permanently. And I feel that is unfair. And there is no way I can get in touch with the whole community because even if I create a new account it will be heavily moderated. This system is quite big brother like. And although I agree with the set rules/regulations and you mentioning that I resorted to personal attacks have you ever considered that the humble online world can cause loss of money/property? I mean imagine if someone posts that my bikes is crashed/burnt and has nothing to justify it and I lose a buyer? Where am I wrong in letting my anger through there? So there can always be two sides to a story and the current system is airtight and quite big brother like. At the moment I cant suggest any change though.

You should also integrate the wml or wap based forums for mobile devices. I dont know much about the technical details but it can be done I am sure and have seen on many other forums using VBulliten. Please publisize the URL if the system is already in place.
Old 12th May 2009, 23:06   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Ok well consider this situation :

I have been banned/banished permanently. And I feel that is unfair. And there is no way I can get in touch with the whole community because even if I create a new account it will be heavily moderated. This system is quite big brother like. And although I agree with the set rules/regulations and you mentioning that I resorted to personal attacks have you ever considered that the humble online world can cause loss of money/property? I mean imagine if someone posts that my bikes is crashed/burnt and has nothing to justify it and I lose a buyer? Where am I wrong in letting my anger through there? So there can always be two sides to a story and the current system is airtight and quite big brother like. At the moment I cant suggest any change though.
You are not allowed to promote your business via Team-BHP. So you will get banned and you will loose your business. Find some other way to stay in contact with your customer. Better still, follow the rules. It is not that hard.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:18   #2238
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys The Indian Car Scene has become cluttered by having all of them(Cars/SUV/MUV/Hatches) in one single section it looks very unprofessional.
Gowda, we will consider this. Thanks

Quote:
Guys, why don't you rename 4x4 Excursions or Split it into 4x4 Recce & 4x4 Events.
We did re-visit the sections and decided to retain the original name itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
hmmm... where did the "small car: big doubt" thread disappear off to?
can't find it all.
The question asked / hatchback comparison has been often discussed on the forum. The thread has been deleted, with a request to the creator to search within the forum.

Quote:
also, the search limit of 3 characters is annoying. I mean, when searching for something, like 'X5' or 'Q7' it's not possible.
Search is the single most server-intensive activity, and creates an especially large load during peak hours. Allowing for a 2 character search string will make the index unduly large.

Quote:
Also, why the 10 seconds between search?
Prevent spammers from bringing the system down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
My recommendation is to retain the content somewhere so that the thread/post contents are NOT lost.
We went one step ahead : Newbie -> BHPian promotion has now been set at 25 posts only! You are also a BHPian now (something you'd have to wait longer for under the older system).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Can a log be made available.

Timestamp: Thread created.
Timestamp: User soandso created this post
Timestamp: Thread deleted.
Timestamp: Post deleted

This way anyone needs to only look at the log to know, why the thread is out.
The info in the log can be based on what the Mods deem appropriate.
Flush the log every few days for memory.
Simple text formatting should be adequate.
Too manually intensive task for the value it provides. I will have to politely decline this suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I look up a post, look at the info about the guy making the post on side of the post, and find that he has some infractions. (sometimes, a ban).

How can I find the offending post / thread?
Based on Vid's suggestion, we will consider making the reason behind an infraction public. That link will also take you to the offending post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
you mentioning that I resorted to personal attacks have you ever considered that the humble online world can cause loss of money/property? I mean imagine if someone posts that my bikes is crashed/burnt and has nothing to justify it and I lose a buyer? Where am I wrong in letting my anger through there?
You should get a moderator's attention to the offending comments / post / thread. However, if you reply in a manner that is against our rules, an infraction will be served. For example, if a member uses foul language, and you reply back with foul language as well (instead of letting a moderator address the situation), your account will be infracted / banned.

Quote:
You should also integrate the wml or wap based forums for mobile devices. I dont know much about the technical details but it can be done I am sure and have seen on many other forums using VBulliten. Please publisize the URL if the system is already in place.
Thanks. I've added your point to the upcoming mobile-integration task.
Old 13th May 2009, 16:41   #2239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
You are not allowed to promote your business via Team-BHP. So you will get banned and you will loose your business. Find some other way to stay in contact with your customer. Better still, follow the rules. It is not that hard.
Please read my post carefully it has nothing to do with marketing my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We went one step ahead : Newbie -> BHPian promotion has now been set at 25 posts only! You are also a BHPian now (something you'd have to wait longer for under the older system).

Based on Vid's suggestion, we will consider making the reason behind an infraction public. That link will also take you to the offending post.

You should get a moderator's attention to the offending comments / post / thread. However, if you reply in a manner that is against our rules, an infraction will be served. For example, if a member uses foul language, and you reply back with foul language as well (instead of letting a moderator address the situation), your account will be infracted / banned.

Thanks. I've added your point to the upcoming mobile-integration task.
Lovely, because 50 posts do seem like a lot, and I have noticed that many people will try and post OT to get over this limit faster.

Excellent news on making the infraction public, there need not be a public discussion for a mod action but atleast all us sheep will be in the know.

I did actually try a lot to get the attention of a moderator. But things got way out of hand. Dont want to dig old graves here so will leave it at that.

I dont know much about the technicalities but I am sure it can be done very easily by enabling somekind of a plugin or something. And I am sure most of the junta in the Blackberry/Mobile threads will be eagerly looking forward to it!
Old 13th May 2009, 16:48   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But most of the times the offending posts might be deleted for various reasons. So that should also be kept in mind.

While we are at it, Can something be done to distinguish temporarily banned (Multiple infractions) and permanent banned members ?
Old 13th May 2009, 16:52   #2241
Team-BHP Support

Just a question.
If someone uses an offensive word in a post.
And I quote and reply to it.
Is it the basis of an infraction.

Have gone thru this and hence the question.
As far as I remember I did not use the word directly in my reply.
It was only in the quoted part.
Old 13th May 2009, 17:30   #2242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just a question.

If you continue the fight, you will both get an infraction. However if you are quoting from another website, you will get an infraction.
So when you see an offensive word, use report post, do not fuel the fire. M
Old 13th May 2009, 17:42   #2243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
tsk1979 : However if you are quoting from another website, you will get an infraction.
@TSK, the question is what if the offensive word is inside the message quoted ?

eg; Two Members - A & B
A posts using an offensive word
B quotes A's post containing the offensive word
Does B get an infraction ?
(A would get the infraction anyway. B has not used the word by himself.
Old 13th May 2009, 21:23   #2244
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

If a certain member wants some of his posts deleted what is the criteria? Do the mods decide if the post stays or not inspite of the member wanting it to be deleted?
Old 13th May 2009, 22:59   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
If a certain member wants some of his posts deleted what is the criteria? Do the mods decide if the post stays or not inspite of the member wanting it to be deleted?
Please read point no. 6 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...etiquette.html
Old 13th May 2009, 23:43   #2246
Senior - BHPian

Guys, let's stick to the true purpose of this thread, that is suggestions for a more improved Team-BHP. Should you have some issue regarding a moderator action that is undefined, feel free to use the Contact Us form for clarifications. Thanks.
Old 14th May 2009, 01:03   #2247
Senior - BHPian

Since I joined this party late, just wanted to add, I received infraction for a certain reason. I PMed the Mod and GTO. I agreed that I knew the rule and that I always followed it, there was a miss on that post, for which I was sincerely apologetic.

The Mods handled this in a very professional manner. There was transparency and fairness.

My only suggestion is not to ban someone permanently. Maybe give them about a month to cool off, understand the rules > Maybe take a test before they can join back again To Err is Human. We all make mistakes!

Mods if you think we have had enough on the Infraction policy - please delete this post.
Old 14th May 2009, 08:28   #2248
BHPian

There is a lot of other 'hotter' discussions going on.. jus wanted to remind the mod team about this... it happened again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
On the 'Manage attachments' - is there any way there can be a progress bar, like a left to right indicator thingy that shows you how your upload is progressing. cause I jus waited 20 mins for a 165kb pic to load which is very unusual.. and what's even more funny is that I did it 3 times over the last 2 days.. it jus wouldn't load... I know there are other issues but a status bar would have sure helped. you'll have an idea of where you are at!
Joe
Old 14th May 2009, 10:07   #2249
Team-BHP Support

Rehaan, lately in some of the gallery pics, you notice that the pic resolution gets skewed owing to stretching. This is not on the old pics in the galleries, but certain pics which were recently uploaded.

I would say fix a default resolution to display the pics at 800 X 600, so this doesnt happen. When i uploaded by manually resizing to this resolution, the error was resolved.
Old 14th May 2009, 16:44   #2250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
....While we are at it, Can something be done to distinguish temporarily banned (Multiple infractions) and permanent banned members ?
Thanks for that suggestion Fountainheader, it is actually a point that we have raised ourselves in the Support Forum many times -- at the moment, we are limited by the software (temp and permanent ban both show as "BANNED"), however, as GTO mentioned we are looking into making this infraction and ban system clearer.

Quote:
Just a question.

Bblost,

This would ofcourse go on a case to case basis, but i can give you an overview:

Say, you post an external quote or article on the forum [in quotes] and it breaks the forum rules - you will be held responsible for the content you are bringing to the forum. (This is similar to posting an inappropriate joke or a joke with foul language).

If you quote a post with foul language (though its better not to!) and reply in a civil manner - in tune with all our rules, you will not be held responsible for the content of the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
.....My only suggestion is not to ban someone permanently. Maybe give them about a month to cool off, understand the rules > Maybe take a test before they can join back again To Err is Human. We all make mistakes!
Generally, the progression is

warning(s) => infraction(s) => temp ban(s) => permanent ban.

Ofcourse, we can leapfrog a stage(s) in this progression depending on the severity of the incidents, and a few other factors.

For eg. if a member's first post is a link to an adult website - they will probably be banned right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
There is a lot of other 'hotter' discussions going on.. jus wanted to remind the mod team about this... it happened again.
Another good suggestion, but once again johnda, making this a reality is only being limited by our software. We will look into it.

In the meanwhile, some browsers (eg. opera) show upload progress too in the status bar. So, if you're uploading a 600kb image, you will see the progress count up from 0kb to 600kb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Rehaan, lately in some of the gallery pics, you notice that the pic resolution gets skewed owing to stretching. This is not on the old pics in the galleries, but certain pics which were recently uploaded.
Benbsb29,

Was it you who raised this same issue in this thread, sometime in the last 2 months?

If you have experienced this when uploading - could you please email me the pictures - and we'll try and pinpoint the issue.

Thanks guys - keep the suggestions coming.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th May 2009 at 22:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks