Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 22:10   #3511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

It is really wonderful to see the suggestions aired in this thread being implemented in a jiffy. Kudos to the support team.

Just two suggestions from my side

Suggestion One

How about having a Premium 24X7 Emergency Helpline to answer some life saving questions where even ever micro second makes a whole world of difference. Suggesting this because most of the *aam admi* car makers do not provide a quality road side assistance cell and more over most emergency cells are ill equipped to handle those emergency questions.

Having this implemented will definitely help us take the right decision in the following situations:
  • Accidents
  • FIR & Insurance related
  • Breakdowns [Filing wrong fuel/car gets water logged/ other mech/electrical breakdowns]

The implementation and operation strategy is best left to the decision of the support team. I am well aware that implementing it is not so simple as it sounds as it would involve some legal hassles too. But if implemented, it should be open only to members that too for a premium, just to avoid non serious callers and support the running expenses of the infrastructure required to run this service.

Suggestion Two

Opening a exclusive section for nearly new OEM parts either in classifieds/forum itself (as found appropriate) primarily for Tyres and ICE. As we are all aware, most informed new car buyers swap their OEM Tires/ ICE for better ones immediately after their purchase. A typical new car buyer:
  • Who trades his brand new OEM tyres looses out anywhere close to 40%~50% by swapping them with the dealer.
  • This becomes even more worse for an ICE freak who has bought a Top end variant for its other feature like safety/ high equipment level but not happy with the OEM ICE. There are hardly any takers for the OEM ICE in the open market.

On the other hand there are the following section of people who look for a super low cost reliable solution for their rides. Why not get good money for your OEM parts by striking a deal with them. It would be a win win situation for both!
  • People who have a 3/5/7 year old car either as a secondary ride/ sparingly used ride, who do not find it economical to spend a big money to replace their worn out tires or cracked/bent wheels on a car that is due for replacement very soon. These set of people can source their needs from the new car buyers mentioned above.
  • Same goes for the OEM ice freaks, typically the set of people who buy base variant of B/C segment cars that do not come with the ICE installed. It is natural for them to look for a OEM ICE that doesn't stick out of the dash like a sore thumb and more importantly does not leave a hole in the pocket. They will be the potential target for the second category of people mentioned above.

I guess this is relatively more easier and useful to implement. However it becomes important to impose few pre requisites to list those OEM parts in the forum like putting a limit on the no. of kms run on OEM tyres before swapping/ No damage or puncture to the tyre etc., A wanted section to list out the needs of potential buyers may also make a good add on!

PS. Just realised while typing this looooong post that a *auto save draft* feature would come handy in such cases.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 17th March 2011 at 22:24.
Old 19th March 2011, 19:59   #3512
Senior - BHPian

Is there any specific reasons why do posts in shifting gears section don't get counted?
This will not give clear idea of total posts of a member. At least there can be separate counter for shifting gears section.
Old 20th March 2011, 00:58   #3513
Team-BHP Support

I was trying to upload photos of my alloy wheels in the appropriate thread. After sometime, I got the message that the picture can't be up-loaded as the file size was larger (< 1MB).

I have come across few websites which automatically resize your photos and uploads them. Can the same be implemented (here) if there aren't too many hassles involved?

Thanks
Old 21st March 2011, 15:14   #3514
Senior - BHPian

Is there a way to check is someone has quoted you, cause sometimes you are finished with going back to the thread. but if someone quotes you, you definately want to see that and maybe even reply to it.
Old 21st March 2011, 20:37   #3515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Cause sometimes you are finished with going back to the thread. but if someone quotes you, you definitely want to see that and maybe even reply to it.
+1 to that "quoting" alerts would be a real boon! The reason as mentioned above.

Also mods if you could add a drop list on the home page for the official review you'll have done it would increase convenience for visitors. In that way one can select the review he is looking for and will be redirected to the official review.
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:42   #3516
BHPian

GTO, you should start comparision review of the cars.
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:06   #3517
akp
BHPian

This is actually a query, not a sugestion yet, about the newly introduced assembly line forum section.

For an already existing thread, in order to compose a long/detailed post with possibly many attachments etc, can one use this facility? Would be very useful if one can.
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:11   #3518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
For an already existing thread, in order to compose a long/detailed post with possibly many attachments etc, can one use this facility? Would be very useful if one can.
Yes, you can. Instead of moving, we will merge with the existing thread.
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:19   #3519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Second that. A comparison review section will be a good addition for the future
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:25   #3520
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, you can. Instead of moving, we will merge with the existing thread.
Now a suggestion, or rather I would re-emphasize a suggestion already put forward by others. We need something like a "thank you" button. My natural reaction after getting your reply is to thank you. But that would be too short, or may not `add value'. Not saying thanks, on the other hand, seems rude - what do I do?

Thanks for your immediate response as well as that wonderful new feature, by the way.
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:55   #3521
BHPian

Thank you for the assembly line feature. However, isn't this going to increase to load on support team a lot? Instead of reporting the post for support to move it to a forum or an existing thread, why not let the user himself do that? Once it is moved, normal rules apply as always.
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:14   #3522
Senior - BHPian

I would like to be able to go the last post of a thread from the main page itself. Currently I am able to go to the last post only if I am logged in, whereas it takes you to the first page of the thread if you are a visitor.

Hope it is changed since it will help to view the thread faster if one has actually followed the thread for quite sometime.
Old 24th March 2011, 14:09   #3523
BHPian

Can a Tagging feature be added?
like you can do in Facebook or Twitter.

For example if i make a post and want to draw XYZ's attention to it, i can tag him @ XYZ types...
Old 24th March 2011, 16:38   #3524
BHPian

It would've been nice to have a filter option on the various fields or at least the members from a particular location. Or is it there already? Couldn’t find any.
Old 24th March 2011, 22:20   #3525
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, a BIG thanks to TSK1979, and those of you who'd asked for a Work-in-Progress forum. As you know, the same has been implemented (More details here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
FWell evaluating others is THE most difficult thing for me , IMHO every adult has his own thought & I (at least ) cant measure its value . Pardon me

Another reason is , I don't want controversies ,
Hi Sudarshan,

- You don't need to evaluate anyone. A Team-BHP Moderator will decide if action is required (it's not necessary that all reported posts result in Mod action).

- There's no question of controversies because no one else can see your Reported Post (not even the member whom you are reporting). Only Team-BHP Moderators can view reported posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
It is really wonderful to see the suggestions aired in this thread being implemented in a jiffy. Kudos to the support team.
Thanks!

Quote:
How about having a Premium 24X7 Emergency Helpline to answer some life saving questions where even ever micro second makes a whole world of difference.
This requires round-the-clock staff that is completely trained in insurance, medical care etc. Our purpose isn't to provide emergency services; We are a closely knit community formed to learn, discuss and share unbiased information on Indian cars. We have to accept that we cannot be everything for everyone.

Quote:
Opening a exclusive section for nearly new OEM parts either in classifieds
Our Classifieds is well-segregated with sections on wheels, lights, exhausts, ICE and more. Please look up the categories on the home page.

Quote:
PS. Just realised while typing this looooong post that a *auto save draft* feature would come handy in such cases.
Use the assembly line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Is there any specific reasons why do posts in shifting gears section don't get counted? .
Shifting Gears isn't our primary purpose; we are an Indian car community that also discusses other aspects of Indian life. Thus, your post count will only increase when you submit content on all things cars (and not the off-topic stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have come across few websites which automatically resize your photos and uploads them. Can the same be implemented (here) if there aren't too many hassles involved?
Sheel, it could be counter-productive as, with the typical Indian internet connections, it will take a helluva lot of time to upload a 5 MB picture file. Second, resizing takes up a serious amount of server juice. Third, there's tools that you can use to resize images in a matter of seconds (More information here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Is there a way to check is someone has quoted you, cause sometimes you are finished with going back to the thread. but if someone quotes you, you definately want to see that and maybe even reply to it.
Will consider, thank you! For now, you could search -> mdsaab* (search query) and show results as posts. I just found 205 posts on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Also mods if you could add a drop list on the home page for the official review you'll have done it would increase convenience for visitors.
Done Furebo! That and some more. Hold your horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
We need something like a "thank you" button.
Believe it or not, the software is downloaded and ready for install. However, we're still unsure of the value, as well as apprehensive of the clutter it will cause. Not ruling it out, but not confirming the same either.

Quote:
My natural reaction after getting your reply is to thank you. But that would be too short, or may not `add value'. Not saying thanks, on the other hand, seems rude - what do I do?

Thanks for your immediate response as well as that wonderful new feature, by the way.
I really enjoyed reading this post....much more than I would by seeing a "akp thanks Samurai for this post"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Thank you for the assembly line feature.
You are welcome, Gandhi.

Quote:
However, isn't this going to increase to load on support team a lot?
We're a strong team! Anything for high quality content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I would like to be able to go the last post of a thread from the main page itself. Currently I am able to go to the last post only if I am logged in, whereas it takes you to the first page of the thread if you are a visitor.
When you have a membership, why are you asking for features for a guest? Just log in! And the system is configured that way for specific reasons (that I regret I cannot disclose in the public forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
For example if i make a post and want to draw XYZ's attention to it, i can tag him @ XYZ types...
I'm not big on facebook, and haven't even logged into my account in a while. Can you please explain further how this would work, and what the benefits are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
It would've been nice to have a filter option on the various fields or at least the members from a particular location.
This page has just what you are looking for (especially the Location field).

Last edited by GTO : 24th March 2011 at 22:24.

Most Viewed