Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 15:42   #4021
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Can we have a lightbox view (instead of opening the images on a blank page) for images in single post? That would make navigating through the images very smooth.
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 17:44   #4022
Senior - BHPian

Re: Approval of New threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Everytime a thread is deleted the OP gets a PM with a reason clearly mentioned. Most of the threads from the What Car section are deleted because they are about the same topic that is being discussed in existing threads, for example- What's the point in adding another thread for discussion on Verna vs Fiesta or Fortuner vs Endeavour when some existing threads cover the topic well.
Why not merge the threads into the existing ones instead of deleting? It's indeed a shock to find a thread in which you have posted deleted overnight. If instead of deleting it it can be merged with another thread, you will also be able to preserve any posts that the users have made to the new thread. Much simpler and should make both sides happy.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 18:16   #4023
BHPian

Is it possible to change the case of the handle? I'll be honest here, I didn't know that my Caps-lock was on when I was registering. Getting on the forum is a big deal, I was paying more attention to 'Why TBHP' rather than checking the case of the text. At least I didnt make a typo

I can live with it, but wouldn't want to. Any way to change it to lowercase?
Recompose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 18:52   #4024
Senior - BHPian

Deleted threads and organizing topics

I don't mean any disprespect to anyone in the post below. Am only sharing my thoughts and views to improve the forum.

Deleted threads and Organizing topics

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Everytime a thread is deleted the OP gets a PM with a reason clearly mentioned. Most of the threads from the What Car section are deleted because they are about the same topic that is being discussed in existing threads, for example- What's the point in adding another thread for discussion on Verna vs Fiesta or Fortuner vs Endeavour when some existing threads cover the topic well. A note is attached to the closing posts of most threads where BHPians are asked to Report the Post to request for opening the thread again if they have a similar query and want to continue the discussion.

As a person who wants to buy a new car or is just casually seeking info, What would you like to see when searching for topics- 60 new threads on new Verna(just an example here) with scattered info or fewer threads with all the info in them?
So totally agree with you .anshuman, on making more and more threads talking about the same car.

However when people want to decide on a car, they have a few cars on mind. One can pick up some information on them from the car specific threads (like Official Reviews, which really become a common watering hole for that car). But then what matters is the comparisons between cars on various aspects and then arrive at the car which has the least 'relevant' compromises.

Now, how can this be taken care of? Do we allow threads for each person who just has a thought of buying a car and is not even half-serious? That may be stretching things too far. So now what to do?

As I lived through this experience called T-Bhp (especially with the What-Car thread I started - some 700 posts), it seemed that it would be a very good idea to have a few more general 'What-Car' threads. They could have segmentation on the basis of:
  • Body type
  • Fuel used
  • Price range
I realize that may lead to quite a few new threads, but it would make things more systematic and would be a very good starting point for any search. Members who have more specific needs could then start their new threads (which too, could ideally be by mod approval, IMO).

One example of such a thread is the "Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L" thread
link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-upto-12l.html

Rather, it was closed after some 48 pages to my surprise. Yes, it was eventually becoming an Optra discussion thread, which didn't seem ideal. But IMO, that is what we needed to control, than close what seemed to be a meeting ground for people considering a diesel sedan up to 12L.

Now that leads me to the next thought

A thread for each car
(probably not about mods, ICE etc, but a more general thread)

Now, taking the example above forward, why were people discussing the Optra on that What-Car thread? The reasons I see:
  • The other cars in the segment had car-specific threads in the form of Official reviews. The Optra Magnum had none.
  • Since I was the OP and had found a lot of merit in the Mangum and was talking about it so often, given the above point, the discussion got around the Optra Magnum
So what I am suggesting is that - Let us have a thread for each car around. Such interactions anyway happen on on ownership threads. Such threads will lead to more focused and complete talk about a car. People starting ownership threads on that car, can then just put up the links to their threads, which would lead to better awareness of relevant threads and make things better organized.

Eventually what I am suggesting is
  1. General need based What-Car threads, which compare cars based on price, body type and fuel used.
  2. A thread for each car, which doesn't have an Official review.
    (model/trim specific really not needed. Even MT and AT should be in the same thread).
  3. New threads by mods approval, unless the member is a senior or a distinguished member
    (even if it means lesser newbie posts being checked by mods, to compensate for more work load)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The PM reaching the OP does serve a good purpose and takes care of why thread was deleted to him. However it isn't sensitive enough to the other people who have posted on the thread to help the OP. I feel that they too need to be addressed and acknowledged.

Taking this further below, if the above suggestion is not taken up and threads are created without approval we could consider what is there below.

What should happen when an inappropriate thread is closed - some thoughts:
  • The thread being moved to a new area of the forum where one can't post and doesn't interfere with the normal forum experience.
  • With the above, the posts are still available to be read, as some replies could contain good information.
  • The last post by mods to close the thread could contain the following:
    • Reason why the post was closed (the PM is sent anyway) - it would lead to others knowing why a thread is closed, which in turn would let others know what type of threads are acceptable and which aren't.
    • A link to the thread, where the topic should have been discussed
    • A link to guidelines to check before starting a new thread.
(The above should help in making fewer inappropriate threads)
  • If the above isn't done, the very least would be to merge threads, as suggested by honeybee as well. Given threads are merged in general, it may be a viable idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Why not merge the threads into the existing ones instead of deleting? It's indeed a shock to find a thread in which you have posted deleted overnight. If instead of deleting it it can be merged with another thread, you will also be able to preserve any posts that the users have made to the new thread. Much simpler and should make both sides happy.

Last edited by Poitive : 25th August 2011 at 18:56. Reason: typo, formatting
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 01:31   #4025
BHPian

Again, this may have been requested earlier from few of the members, but, we're desperately waiting for the new Swift official review. Can the mods please throw some light on where we are with it?
flyingkolors is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 04:22   #4026
BHPian

Sharing a Thread or post

Can we have a share this thread with my friend (member on TBHP), I came across this thread = http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ol-outlet.html - and I know my friend would like to know about it, how do I let him know apart from the link pasted in a PM

If we have this feature, could someone show how to use it, mods please delete this post if this feature exists
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 15:44   #4027
Senior - BHPian

Yikes! This is more of a complaint than a suggestion. The mapmyindia ad is hiding the forum search box.

honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 16:14   #4028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yikes! This is more of a complaint than a suggestion. The mapmyindia ad is hiding the forum search box.
Might be a resolution problem. Its fine for me.

btw, a request to the mods, is to keep the ads a bare minimum.. Just like now.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 17:08   #4029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Might be a resolution problem. Its fine for me.

btw, a request to the mods, is to keep the ads a bare minimum.. Just like now.
Nope, tried switching to a different resolution and still have the same problem. This is the first time I have noticed it. I am using IE 8. Unfortunately I cannot upload a screenshot I have taken (not allowed from off).
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 04:44   #4030
Senior - BHPian

How about a small chat window for member chat? It should be optional, anyone who likes, can enable it. By default it should be disabled.

How about a facility to reply to email which gets posted over here as a reply to quote? Like when we get the email that you have been quoted, we should be able to read it and reply it there instead of click and going to that topic and then replying. Something on the lines of how facebook works.

Sorry if any of above suggested before.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 09:15   #4031
Senior - BHPian

I have been a problem for many days and just didnt get to write about it here.

When ever I see a photo of a car/bike/Ad in classifieds - there is no Exit button! I have to refresh that screen to come out of the zoom pic option. Please do something about this...
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 11:01   #4032
BHPian

Am assuming the Mods view almost all the threads and each post.

Is it not possible that when a Mod views a post that adds a little more value to a thread than the others, it be tagged?

For example a thread is started on say "Using Autorickshaw for offroading" , there would be many replies and questions, but there will be a few posts that would answer most of the questions, clears more doubts and puts in more gyan than many other posts. If the Mods tag's post's like these, then there can a link which can bring up all the posts in the thread that are tagged thus. This way we have the most valued posts in a thread in a single click, which might be useful when a thread runs into 100's of pages.
Statement is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 11:26   #4033
BHPian

I posted earlier today in another thread on the same forum but i'll post again here.

How about a team-bhp IRC channel?

#team-bhp at freenode.net

There's a web app at
webchat.freenode.net
for people without IRC clients.

What do you people say?
nukeblitz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 13:39   #4034
BHPian

Quote:

Facing the same problem in my laptop, but not in the PC. Maybe one can make it disappear with some change in IE settings. In any case, while the ad is around, it is causing inconvenience. At the least, the ad should be placed at the back, so that the search box opens on top of the ad.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 14:01   #4035
Senior - BHPian

Is this some kind of a bug in the system? When I see the post by @Statement quoted here, it shows:
Posts 0
Thanks 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement View Post
Am assuming the Mods view almost all the threads and each post.

Is it not possible that when a Mod views a post that adds a little more value to a thread than the others, it be tagged?
Taking Statement's thought further. The mods may have too much to do, so the tagging could also possibly be done by Distinguished Members as well. Not sure how viable the whole thing may be, given the workload and subjectivity involved, the inconsistencies it may bring in etc. However, if it were viable, I expect many to find it useful.

Edit: To some extent, the "Thanks" feature provides a similar purpose.

Last edited by Poitive : 27th August 2011 at 14:12.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed