Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2011, 08:14   #4171
J.Ravi

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

I don't find INR symbol in the list of smilies/symbols/icons, which may please be added at the appropriate place so that we can avoid typing Re/Rs/INR.
  (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 13:24   #4172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
No I have not set up my card as I do not do any online purchases.

Will be waiting for the alternative payment options.
I'd suggest you contact your card provider and see whats required to enable your card for online purchases. This might be faster, as the alternative payment methods we are considering could take a while to be implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I don't find INR symbol in the list of smilies/symbols/icons, which may please be added at the appropriate place so that we can avoid typing Re/Rs/INR.
The Mods did discuss this when the rupee symbol was announced, however, using an image/icon is not the best way to implement this -- hence we have held off on it for now.

cya
R
Old 27th October 2011, 14:48   #4173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I was going through some thread and found one particular post from a newbie being given an infraction for making a reference to drunken driving.

If I'm right, newbies' posts are supposed to be approved by mods before they can be visible. Since they are still new to the forum and might make mistakes, why not edit the post (mods remove the objectionable content) and send the erring newbie a PM about what he did?

The post was approved and was visible (why was it approved in the first place?); later another mod gave an infraction. I'm sorry but this seems somewhat too harsh, and negates the whole idea behind approving newbie posts. Just my opinion. No offense meant
I had a similar experience...

I am a 'newbie' on team-bhp and my posts don't show until a moderator has approved them.

I had posted a new thread asking for feedback regarding upsizing the tires of my New Honda City. Unfortunately I hadn't gone through the recent mass PM asking us to refrain from using acronyms for cars, and had used an acronym to describe my car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ur-tyre-2.html

The thread got approved even with the acronym and became visible after a moderator approved it. I even got some very helpful replies on the thread from some senior and distinguished members.

Then suddenly, 2days later, the entire content of my starting post was deleted by a mod for containing acronyms. Now imagine a thread with an empty starting post!

However, replies in the very thread from senior members also containing acronyms were not completely deleted, but got edited by the mods to remove the acronyms.

Further down in the same thread, a reply from a distinguished member also contained the same acronym but was neither deleted nor edited my the mods, and still remains there!

I have the following questions in mind.
  • Since I'm a newbie and my posts need to be approved before being visible on the forums, shouldn't the approving mod have detected the use of acronyms then and there itself? Maybe asked me to rephrase the post? Or maybe edited out the acronym before approving?
  • Secondly, when my thread's starting post was detected my another mod to be containing the banned acronyms, then why differential treatment was melted out to members with different status. If at all someone deserves more leniency than others then it must be the newbie... for he is the one who is new here.. still learning about the place.. not yet familiar with the rules... looking to make new friends...
I would ideally have liked to discuss this with a mod via PM, but unfortunately, being a newbie, I don't even have access to writing PMs :(

While I maybe new here, but I've been member of a few reputable photography and automobile forums for quite a few years and have always respected the rules and sentiments of the place. Never had a post deleted.

What brings us all together on these forums is our common interests. I'm just here to share my knowledge and learn from yours!

Belated Diwali wishes for all
vikash49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 16:28   #4174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
[*]Since I'm a newbie and my posts need to be approved before being visible on the forums, shouldn't the approving mod have detected the use of acronyms then and there itself? Maybe asked me to rephrase the post? Or maybe edited out the acronym before approving?
Mods too have zillions of posts to approve and its possible that it slipped there eyes since till very recently it was common practice in the forum to use abbreviations. But later someone might have reported your post or it must have caught the eye of a mod and they deleted it accordingly.
Quote:
[*]Secondly, when my thread's starting post was detected my another mod to be containing the banned acronyms, then why differential treatment was melted out to members with different status. If at all someone deserves more leniency than others then it must be the newbie... for he is the one who is new here.. still learning about the place.. not yet familiar with the rules... looking to make new friends...[/list]I would ideally have liked to discuss this with a mod via PM, but unfortunately, being a newbie, I don't even have access to writing PMs :(
You have a point but you must also first go through the rules of this forum and try to follow them. Don't take it wrong but you just broke another rule by not using the right punctuation. You should not use "..." on the forum.

Quote:
While I maybe new here, but I've been member of a few reputable photography and automobile forums for quite a few years and have always respected the rules and sentiments of the place. Never had a post deleted.
Hey there are hundreds of people who apply for TBHP membership but only some are approved. The Mods approved you to become a part of the forum because they must have thought that you will be an asses right? So don't take this personally mate. They are just trying to do there job. You are not being targeted or something because you are a newbie.
I am sure the mods will edit the remaining posts on the thread you have specified.

Quote:
Belated Diwali wishes for all
Happy diwali to you too. Cheers!
Old 27th October 2011, 18:21   #4175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Mods too have zillions of posts to approve and its possible that it slipped there eyes since till very recently it was common practice in the forum to use abbreviations. But later someone might have reported your post or it must have caught the eye of a mod and they deleted it accordingly.

You have a point but you must also first go through the rules of this forum and try to follow them.
Hi drmohitg, thanks for taking the time to address my concerns in detail. Really appreciate it.

I did actually go through the "TBHP Rules - Please read before posting" section, but unfortunately, this section may not have been updated recently and hence does not contain info about the recent ban on the use of abbreviations on the forum. I think it might be a good idea for the mods to update this now.

Quote:
Don't take it wrong but you just broke another rule by not using the right punctuation. You should not use "..." on the forum.
Haha! I had actually read up on this before posting. Here it is.

Quote:
2) Use Proper Punctuation & Capitalization

- Use "..." only when you wish to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or a trailing off into silence - it is not a replacement for a full-stop/period or comma.
- Avoid too many ...s
From my understanding, it's not really banned, but rather a guideline has been issued to avoid overuse / misuse of this common but 'technically incorrect' punctuation.

But again, I could be wrong. Will avoid their usage in future!

Quote:
Hey there are hundreds of people who apply for TBHP membership but only some are approved. The Mods approved you to become a part of the forum because they must have thought that you will be an asses right?
You are so correct here. I've seen threads where members stated they got approved after multiple attempts, some as high as 18! It was only then that I realized how lucky I had been to get approved on the first attempt

Quote:
So don't take this personally mate. They are just trying to do there job. You are not being targeted or something because you are a newbie.
Of course, I'm not taking this personally at all. In fact, why would any mod or senior member consciously target another member just for being a newbie when they obviously realize all the present Moderators, Distinguished and Senior members were once newbies themselves.

Cheers!
Old 27th October 2011, 19:55   #4176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi drmohitg, thanks for taking the time to address my concerns in detail. Really appreciate it.
You are welcome fellow BHPian
Quote:
I did actually go through the "TBHP Rules - Please read before posting" section, but unfortunately, this section may not have been updated recently and hence does not contain info about the recent ban on the use of abbreviations on the forum. I think it might be a good idea for the mods to update this now.
Yup exactly. I think they sent out a mass PM about the same. Its rather tough for almost all members to follow because my mind has become so used to writing the short forms of the cars, most of them belonging to the C segment. But It was indeed a right step as the abbreviations were getting a little too tough to understand specially the ones concerning the recent launches.

Quote:
From my understanding, it's not really banned, but rather a guideline has been issued to avoid overuse / misuse of this common but 'technically incorrect' punctuation.
My bad. I think a visit to the rules page is long overdue now

Quote:
You are so correct here. I've seen threads where members stated they got approved after multiple attempts, some as high as 18! It was only then that I realized how lucky I had been to get approved on the first attempt
Hey first of all I mistyped asset in the post above and typed asses rather. My apologies.

I am glad I could be of help. But am sure a mod will also reply to your post in sometime.

Last edited by drmohitg : 27th October 2011 at 19:56. Reason: mistyped
Old 27th October 2011, 21:19   #4177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A Mass PM was sent out to all the members some time back regarding this. I am posting it again, in case you missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Hey BHPian,

Of late, there has been an increasingly high usage of hard-to-understand acronyms for newly launched cars across the forum. Example: SPHJ, ANFF, ANMS etc.

Effective immediately, please refrain from using these acronyms. Reasons:

- Not everyone understands these unique acronyms. This negatively affects Team-BHP’s core purpose of providing crystal clear, easy-to-understand information to all…experts & newbies alike.

- It will result in inaccurate search results for these cars.

Thanks for the support & understanding,

The Team-BHP Moderators

*NOTE : This is a mass PM sent out to the entire community.
Old 27th October 2011, 21:28   #4178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What.is..banned.is.typing..like...this or ending each sentence like this..instead of a proper. And. A. Space.

That is SMS style, and is banned. But this... is an ellipsis.

Its use for a longer pause, or a slightly dramatic pause, or, as you quote, trailing off, is valid and correct punctuation. It is also correct to use it to indicate that material has been cut from a quote.

Just as it is bad style to us too many! Exclamation! Marks! (My biggest fault) it is wrong... to use too many... ellipses.

We have a thread on proper use of English! Oh, I can never resist that last ! <Blush>

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th October 2011 at 21:32.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 16:08   #4179
BHPian

We need a new sub-forum for comparison tests. The only reason left for us to buy an auto magazine is that they do comparison tests that are not available on team-bhp.
For ex: I have a honda city, my friend has a Fiesta S and my brother has a civic(pre-owned). All three of them cost us approx 9lakhs on road. Wouldn't a detailed comparison between them be delicious?

I am sure you will get enough comparison tests by your members to fill up the sub-forum
Old 31st October 2011, 23:08   #4180
Senior - BHPian

I have a few suggestions. I am not sure how feasible they are or how difficult it is to implement but here goes nothing.

1) Start a generic volunteering thread for TBHPians who need help w.r.t Car purchase (and related ICE, accessories etc)

Advantages:
1) this would help provide an unbiased view during PDI etc.
2) A BHPian would bring in rich knowledge and aid the buying process and be of help rather than any third person without much automobile knowledge
3) It would be more value addition to the automotive world not just by Written posts but also practical help (A Mike Brewer in the making )

Secondly how about bringing in some T-Shirts / badge etc so that when we wear it at least those in auto field who know about TBHP (Most Do) will not make a fool of the customer who has worn a TBHP Tshirt. I have a car in Chennai, but i am in mumbai right now and have not brought my car and not planning on a new one. Stickers will be of little use to me. TShirt / Cap / Badge will help me

Your thoughts please on the same.

For a head start - I am in Mumbai now. I can be of help to anyone in Mumbai / Thane / New Mumbai. PM Me and i will respond at the earliest.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 31st October 2011 at 23:10.
Old 2nd November 2011, 01:51   #4181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iashishi View Post
We need a new sub-forum for comparison tests. The only reason left for us to buy an auto magazine is that they do comparison tests that are not available on team-bhp.
They are! Here are a few -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omparison.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...n-my-take.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...omparison.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tz-1-2-kb.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...laura-l-k.html

Also, Mods always list out the major competitors (+s/-s included) of a car whenever they are doing an official review.

Quote:
For ex: I have a honda city, my friend has a Fiesta S and my brother has a civic(pre-owned). All three of them cost us approx 9lakhs on road. Wouldn't a detailed comparison between them be delicious?

I am sure you will get enough comparison tests by your members to fill up the sub-forum
Sure would be, please do share your comparo for these 3 for the benefit of others here.
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:50   #4182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
They are! Here are a few -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omparison.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...n-my-take.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...omparison.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tz-1-2-kb.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...laura-l-k.html

Also, Mods always list out the major competitors (+s/-s included) of a car whenever they are doing an official review.

Sure would be, please do share your comparo for these 3 for the benefit of others here.
Each one of those above threads are in different sub-forums like intial test and review, what car, indian car scene etc. Wouldn't it make sense to put all of them in a sub-foum called comparisons? If there is a seperate forum, I am sure it is going to encourage more comparison tests in team-bhp
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:33   #4183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Comparisons are not a good idea IMHO. They always lead to prolonged heated discussions and someone will always love to disagree. I feel in love with the forum after reading many of the official reviews which are so great since the mods take great care not to compare and rather lay out all the positives and negatives of the car for everyone to draw there own conclusions. The short section in the end of a review with a short summary of the other cars in that segment is a very good idea too and does fulfill that need for comparisons to some extent.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 23:56   #4184
BHPian

I am sure this has been suggested before and I read it as a suggestion in the Team BHP sticker spotting thread and sounded like a good idea to me.

We should have seperate threads for Spotting of Team BHP stickers, atleast for the 4 metros. I keep searching around for New Delhi spottings and it is hard to find them in the thread, especially if you visit after about a week, you end up with 7-8 pages to browse through, wondering if you were spotted.

Or maybe simply put, one thread for Bangalore spottings and one for the rest of India. It's crazy how many people report spottings in Bangalore, must be 80% of the thread's contents.
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:20   #4185
J.Ravi

Now, I get PM/email alert whenever my message is quoted by others in their posts. Fine. In the same way, will it not be possible to get PM/email alerts when somebody mentions me in their posts? If such facility is introduced in the advanced reply box, it will be better so that I will not miss any post that refers to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks