Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 08:02   #4591
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Wouldn't it be better idea moderate first 25 posts of a newbie irrespective of the section it is posted to. This would also save efforts of moderators, as most of newbies post on introduction's threads initially.
born_free: I totally get what you're saying, went through exactly this impatience myself as a newbie!

I don't see how we can implement a system like you are suggesting since the status change is triggered by post count. The only suggestion I can give is to ensure that your first 25 posts are in sections where they do add to post count. Also please ensure that the posts actually add value to the thread, otherwise they stand a high chance of being deleted from moderation queue.

The 25 posts will come and go before you even know it. Have patience!
Old 27th June 2012, 13:41   #4592
Team-BHP Support

To add to what Noopster has said :

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
...Wouldn't it be better idea moderate first 25 posts of a newbie irrespective of the section it is posted to...
Probably not the best idea, since newbies would then get past 25 posts just by doing things like copy-pasting jokes into the Official Jokes thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
But then how do images come not in-line?
When they are NOT manually inserted into the post, they show up in an "attachments" box/border at the bottom of the post. (Edit : yep like you've mentioned later in your post)

Quote:
saw post #3260 , went outside the intended width.
Looks fine to me. Maybe a screenshot will help here.

Quote:
But, don't we want to align all the post frames to a specific width, whether it contains in-line images or not?
Nope - because then ONE post containing a wider image would require ALL posts to be side-scrolled to be read.

This way, one wide post will only stretch the text of that post beyond the width of the screen. The text of all other posts will still fit in the width of the screen, and you wouldn't have to side scroll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Regarding the attachment of screenshot, as per your suggestion I would still have to save the screenshot in a word doc and then attach using the paperclip icon. I tried direct pasting in the new message window and nothing happened. Pls advise.
Not sure i understand your question?!

Please read all the posts in this thread before replying, as it might clear some doubt :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

cya
R
Old 27th June 2012, 14:14   #4593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Looks fine to me. Maybe a screenshot will help here.
Hope the below screenshot helps. Maybe it is negligible.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-ex.jpg

Quote:
This way, one wide post will only stretch the text of that post beyond the width of the screen. The text of all other posts will still fit in the width of the screen, and you wouldn't have to side scroll.
I was thinking in a different way - to fix a specific width for all the post panes/panels/frames depending on the user's resolution. So that any post without in-line images or quoted images, that might have extended to the right, would be reduced to the fixed width. This also means that the user is not required to use the horizontal scroll bar ever. However, I don't know exactly if all softwares can get to access the user's resolution.

Last edited by thoma : 27th June 2012 at 14:36.
Old 28th June 2012, 19:41   #4594
BHPian

In todays changing scenario, it may not be that all "Active" users are Petrol-heads YouTeamBHP might consider using the other frequently used term "MotorHead" or "Auto-Enthusiasts" so that there is no "Classification" that happens at an overview level...

P.S: I myself being a Petrolhead am happy with this display, nevertheless - it might be a concern for "Dieselheads" or "LPG heads".
Old 29th June 2012, 18:13   #4595
BHPian

Another finding from the site when I tried to choose "Blue" colored theme. The header tabs like Photos, Reviews, Classifieds, ... disappear in Blue theme. When I shift back to BhP-Silver Theme, these tabs appear again.

May be the attached picture helps you to identify the difference.

By the way, I used Mozilla 10while attempting this.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-missing_tabs.gif  

Old 30th June 2012, 10:41   #4596
Distinguished - BHPian

weird problem. Suddenly instead of scrolling down , pressing the scroll on my mouse has led to zoom in and zoom out of the site. And to make matters worst Its got zoomed out and has become too small and I am unable to change it back to normal size. All other websites are opening properly. What to do?

EDIT: Solved. Sorry .

Last edited by drmohitg : 30th June 2012 at 10:43.
Old 30th June 2012, 10:47   #4597
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Can you post the solution as well for everyone's benefit?
Old 30th June 2012, 17:31   #4598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
Ctrl +/- is for normal zooming in and out and specific to each tab.
Regards
Old 30th June 2012, 23:38   #4599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ctrl +/- is for normal zooming in and out and specific to each tab.
Ctrl+mouse-wheel is the mouse equivalent.

Firefox remembers the zoom setting for a site, and will continue to use it for that site.
Old 1st July 2012, 08:56   #4600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Ctrl + mouse scroll to zoom in/out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Firefox remembers the zoom setting for a site, and will continue to use it for that site.
Even chrome remembers it for each web page.
Old 1st July 2012, 20:50   #4601
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maybe it is negligible.
Yep - though finding the possible reasons for this interests me a lot () i am going to let it pass as a non-critical issue for now!

Quote:
However, I don't know exactly if all softwares can get to access the user's resolution.
It is actually possible.
The method you describe could be another way to handle it, but :
1) It comes with its own trade offs
2) It isn't an option for the software we run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
it may not be that all "Active" users are Petrol-heads....
...consider using the other frequently used term "MotorHead" or "Auto-Enthusiasts"
Haha..Good point. Noted. I just used the term "petrol head" in my Jetta TSI review, but i think that was in a proper context, as i was referring to the petrol fans

Quote:
The header tabs like Photos, Reviews, Classifieds, ... disappear in Blue theme.
That menu bar is not included in any themes other than BHP Silver and BHP Black.

We suggest you use one of the above, as chances are pretty high that the other skins might be discontinued soon - to make room for some other changes to come. (Also BHP Silver is built on the same brightness levels as Standard Blue - so give that a shot).

cya
R
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:19   #4602
BHPian

Quote:
----
That menu bar is not included in any themes other than BHP Silver and BHP Black.

We suggest you use one of the above, as chances are pretty high that the other skins might be discontinued soon - to make room for some other changes to come. (Also BHP Silver is built on the same brightness levels as Standard Blue - so give that a shot).

cya
R
Thanks for the update Rehaan, BHP site in Silver is always "Classic", I agree & love it (using the same since years). Only point is, at my office - all our tools and internal sites are close to this Blue skin. So, when I have TeamBHP open in Blues, it would look just like another internal tool that we use at work

Quote:
Haha..Good point. Noted. I just used the term "petrol head" in my Jetta TSI review, but i think that was in a proper context, as i was referring to the petrol fans
Sorry for not attaching a screenshot regarding this point Rehaan, the actual location for my recommendation was at "Forum --> What's Going On? --> Currently Active Petrolheads". I understand that this is a "LIVE" count of members + non-members. This is where I thought all "Active" users are generalised as "Petrol-Heads". I am sure there must be quite a few Diesel Heads and LPG Heads too. Why not other frequently used terms like "Motorheads" or "Auto-Enthisiasts" or something more generic here?
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-bhp.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2012, 00:27   #4603
Senior - BHPian

I really want you guys to make Team-BHP T-shirts and sell them on the store. I really felt the need for this, yesterday in the meet, when few members were not able to recognize each other, as we didn't had each others numbers.

I suggest you guys to come up with lot's Team-BHP merchandise like, mug, mouse pads, T-shirts etc.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 5th July 2012, 12:43   #4604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...Only point is, at my office - all our tools and internal sites are close to this Blue skin. So, when I have TeamBHP open in Blues, it would look just like another internal tool ...
Well, you're not the first person to mention this! So it is something on our mind.

Quote:
...the actual location for my recommendation was at "Forum --> What's Going On?
Ah ok!

Will leave this for GTO to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
..I suggest you guys to come up with lot's Team-BHP merchandise like, mug, mouse pads, T-shirts etc....
In the works. Hopefully you should be seeing the next "Team-BHP" item in the store in a matter of weeks.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th July 2012 at 13:57.
Old 5th July 2012, 13:37   #4605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

cya
R
My 2 cents:
I switched away from BHP Silver to Standard Blue and have never found the other themes to be good enough again.
The Standard Blue has a pale background and pale header (with TBHP logo on the top left). This is extremely convenient in (somewhat) disguising the site logo - since the site appears as just another vBulletin forum. The BHP Silver has a black background on top header and the red BHP.com is much more conspicuous.

So, the Standard Blue is extremely useful in office environment where guys around you are snooping on what you are doing.

I would suggest we keep Standard Blue for now, unless it is hindering in the upgrade somehow.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th July 2012 at 13:58. Reason: Noted. See my post/reply above your post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks