Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 16:40   #5671
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quick question is there a development of an BB10 app round the corner? It would just make life so much easier as im guessing most of us have work BB's
Old 11th August 2014, 17:04   #5672
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Moderators,

Will it be a good idea to delete obsolete user accounts? Say a member who has not posted in a year or so? I have seen many users who have joined the forum long back but still are 'newbies' (less than 25 posts!) That will also reflect the active strength of members.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 11th August 2014, 17:11   #5673
BHPian

Hi,

When you are on a particular link page number it is highlighted in dark color, but I don't know if you all will agree, but I find that not clearly visible, you have to look carefully to know which number you are at, just a suggestion if you can make it more darker or something so it is easily noticeable.

Also last few days I am getting logged out every time I click or change the page, is there a problem on the site, or is it only me facing this issue.

Thanks,

Last edited by The Saint : 11th August 2014 at 17:24.
Old 11th August 2014, 17:24   #5674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Hi,

When you are on a particular link page number it is highlighted in dark color, but I don't know if you all will agree, but I find that not clearly visible, you have to look carefully to know which number you are at, just a suggestion if you can make it more darker or something so it is easily noticeable.

Thanks,
+1, I agree to this one. It needs to be a bit darker than what it is currently.
Old 11th August 2014, 17:42   #5675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Glad that slicvic has solved your problem, but if you could still send me a screenshot of the issue, that would be helpful!
There is another issue though

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-team-2.jpg

Seen here is the ad overlapping the sign in area.

The placement of the ad makes it difficult to sign in, and unless you sign in the ad keeps following you everywhere on the screen, Catch 22. It took quite a few attempts to type the username and password without inadvertently tapping the ad and a pop up tab opening up.
Old 11th August 2014, 17:46   #5676
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post

There is another issue though

Seen here is the ad overlapping the sign in area.

The placement of the ad makes it difficult to sign in, and unless you sign in the ad keeps following you everywhere on the screen, Catch 22. It took quite a few attempts to type the username and password without inadvertently tapping the ad and a pop up tab opening up.
Absolutely. I suggest you to zoom out so the Ad goes to the bottom of the screen and after which I click on the 'username' & 'password' area, so signing in doesn't be an issue with that Ad.

Once the field to type the username and password opens the screen zoom's-in again causing the Ad to block the view of what we are typing. One should carefully type so that there are no mistakes.

Anurag.
Old 12th August 2014, 00:55   #5677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Dear Moderators,

Will it be a good idea to delete obsolete user accounts? Say a member who has not posted in a year or so? I have seen many users who have joined the forum long back but still are 'newbies' (less than 25 posts!) That will also reflect the active strength of members.

Thanks,
Saket
+1 to the above.

Saket, forget about members posting on the forum. There are many who have not logged in for more than 4 years.
Old 12th August 2014, 10:04   #5678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
+1 to the above.

Saket, forget about members posting on the forum. There are many who have not logged in for more than 4 years.
Exactly Vijay. May be the mods should look into those type of accounts which have seen no activity (like those not logged into) in the last one year or any time limit they deem appropriate.
Old 12th August 2014, 10:04   #5679
Senior - BHPian

Suggestion regarding comparison articles

Hi,

I would request the mods to publish some detailed comparison articles for the most popular product offerings in the various segments. In this way, a prospective buyer can use this comparison for quick reference, rather than having to go through the individual product reviews.

For example, an article comparing the most popular sub-4 metre sedans in the market - Dzire, Amaze, Xcent and Zest. In fact, I would prefer 2 separate articles on this - one for petrol variant and another for diesel.

Other popular segments could be - premium hatchback, entry level hatchback, mid-size sedan, luxury sedan, desi SUVs, firangi SUVs etc.

Rohan
Old 12th August 2014, 13:01   #5680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Moderators,

Thanks,
Saket
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
+1 to the above.

Quote:
Exactly Vijay. May be the mods should look into those type of accounts which have seen no activity (like those not logged into) in the last one year or any time limit they deem appropriate.
This has come up many many times in this very thread.
Quoting some of the earlier posts and replies. It doesn't seem like a pressing issue needing some immediate action. Maybe the mods will look into it/give it a thought when they have some idle time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Excuse me if this has been posted before.

@Mods : Recently, I was just going through the member list directory and observed one thing. There are lots of IDs which have been created and are unused (newbies with 0 posts made). There are IDs created 4-5 years back and are still lying unused. If these users created these IDs just for the sake of viewing the forum contents, they could have done the viewing as casual visitors as well. What purpose does the ID serve then, if they do not post anywhere or participate in discussions?

My suggestion to the mods : you can email the owners of all those dummy IDs and request them to reconfirm their membership status (after a certain time period expires, like say 2 or 3 months of zero activity), else, they can be deleted and server space (of those IDs) can be cleared up. This might not seem like my business, the mods would know better than me, but seeing those many number of dummy IDs just prompted this suggestion.

For those who want to know the sheer scale of unused user accounts lying around, browse through a few pages of the member list. Around 30-40% of the names in each page are newbies with zero posts, some of these accounts were created as early as 2004-2005.

Most email service providers deactivate accounts to optimize server space, if they lie unused for too long. We could warn the users first and then do this in Team-BHP. Just a suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's going to be a few bytes per user. Not really of any consequence, even after the Thai HDD lost stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Agreed. Nothing is lost with a few bytes of space.

My questions remain unanswered though, its not just limited to space - quoting from my previous post

There is still no reason why unused junk IDs should be left lying around if they are not going to be accessed, in my opinion. A cleanup operation can help, is all I am trying to suggest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
A lot of members are active readers but don't post.
Helps them in subscribing to threads of interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
When i go through the members list in our forum it is saddening to note that a majority of members have not even crossed the newbie level even after 5 or 6 years.The last visit by these members have been as late as five years.I would suggest to the moderators to delist these inactive members and give admission to new people who have been waiting for years to come into the forum.Even before being admitted to the forum i was regularly logging in to teambhp and keenly following the members postings while these members in spite of being admitted to this distinguished forum have rarely visited .I personally know people who have tried several times to join this forum and got rejected and left dejected,and mind you these people could have contributed a lot to teambhp.I request you to kindly look into this suggestion and if you find any merit in this respond positively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Its not that we only have a specific amount of slots available. I think this has been discussed earlier in the thread too. Maybe search for "newbies" etc to find the relevant posts.

I am sure there would be more but these were the ones I could find. Anyway, we can wait for the mod's reply.
Old 12th August 2014, 13:05   #5681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
This has come up many many times in this very thread.
Thanks, I did not know about it. Will be interesting to get the moderator's take on it.
Old 12th August 2014, 13:14   #5682
Senior - BHPian

I already know the answer to this one, but probably provide an option to change the handle names too?
Old 12th August 2014, 14:17   #5683
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I already know the answer to this one, but probably provide an option to change the handle names too?
It is not possible to change the handle names.

Anurag.
Old 12th August 2014, 14:53   #5684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It is not possible to change the handle names.

Anurag.
As I said, I already know the answer, but there is no harm in asking, is there?
Old 12th August 2014, 15:40   #5685
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

As I said, I already know the answer, but there is no harm in asking, is there?
No harm at all. Just a quick answer that's all. No offence.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks