Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2014, 11:01   #5731
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Sorry for posting this here, as I wasn't sure which thread to report first. Anyway, here goes, we have 2 threads running discussing the transport ministry's effort to introduce higher fines, etc. Please have a look, and if appropriate, please merge them.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hicle-law.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...fenders-9.html
Old 29th September 2014, 13:20   #5732
Senior - BHPian

Here is a suggestion regarding the garage galleries - how about some indexing/categorization based on the car models to make it searchable? It is too hard the way it is currently. It would be nice to be able to search for galleries of some specific car model which may exist in someone's garage.

EDIT: Found the Gallery List Search now. So it is already there. Can we make the galleries more accessible from the other pages by adding to the top links or the quick links?

Last edited by zenren : 29th September 2014 at 13:29.
Old 30th September 2014, 16:48   #5733
BHPian

I get a whole lot of ads when I enter the forum page. Nearly 5 ads, one at the top, two at the bottom and 2 at the sides. These ads occupy the page in such a way that I can't see the content in the page. Please take care of it. BTW ads are from automotive companies as well, next time I will attach a pic.

New one: Whenever i open a thread, a pop up window and a new tab opens up. It's so annoying.

Thanks,

Achyuth

Last edited by Achyuth Vaibhav : 30th September 2014 at 16:52. Reason: See the "new one" line.
Old 30th September 2014, 19:04   #5734
Senior - BHPian

At the end of matter given at below link- Mahindra Gusto Launch http://www.team-bhp.com/news/mahindr...ooter-rs-43000
it is typed as "The Gusto will compete against the Honda Activa, Suzuki Jupiter, TVS Wego, Suzuki Let's and Hero Maestro.
It should be TVS Jupiter.

Also on the same page, it is given the variants as Dx and Vx. But the thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post3545506 (Mahindra to unveil new Gusto 110 cc scooter at Auto Expo 2014 EDIT: Now Launched), the variants are given as Lx and Vx.

Please correct the same.
Old 1st October 2014, 16:11   #5735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
EDIT: Found the Gallery List Search now. So it is already there. Can we make the galleries more accessible from the other pages by adding to the top links or the quick links?
Hi Zenren,

We did have BHP Garage on the nav-bar a while back, but it isn't a very high traffic section, so we had to prioritize & simplify the nav-bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
I get a whole lot of ads when I enter the forum page. Nearly 5 ads, one at the top, two at the bottom and 2 at the sides. These ads occupy the page in such a way that I can't see the content in the page. Please take care of it. BTW ads are from automotive companies as well, next time I will attach a pic.

New one: Whenever i open a thread, a pop up window and a new tab opens up. It's so annoying.
Hi Achyuth Vaibhav,

Sounds like your PC is infected with malware.
Do post a screenshot so we can confirm 100%.

We do not show so many ads, no new pop-up windows open when people visit our site, and naturally, we avoid automotive ads.

Do a full scan of your computer using a program like "malwarebytes". However, if possible, i'd strongly suggest a full re-format of your computer - to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
At the end of matter given at below link- Mahindra Gusto Launch
Thanks a ton! This will be corrected soon.

cya
R
Old 1st October 2014, 20:58   #5736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi Zenren,

We did have BHP Garage on the nav-bar a while back, but it isn't a very high traffic section, so we had to prioritize & simplify the nav-bar.
How about adding it as an item under the Quick Links Menu? It shouldn't cause any UX design issues to have 1-2 more item there like "My Garage" and "Gallery Hall" in the drop down menu
Old 8th October 2014, 02:22   #5737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Dear Moderators,

Will it be a good idea to delete obsolete user accounts? Say a member who has not posted in a year or so? I have seen many users who have joined the forum long back but still are 'newbies' (less than 25 posts!) That will also reflect the active strength of members.

Thanks,
Saket
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
+1 to the above.

Saket, forget about members posting on the forum. There are many who have not logged in for more than 4 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Exactly Vijay. May be the mods should look into those type of accounts which have seen no activity (like those not logged into) in the last one year or any time limit they deem appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
This has come up many many times in this very thread.
Quoting some of the earlier posts and replies. It doesn't seem like a pressing issue needing some immediate action. Maybe the mods will look into it/give it a thought when they have some idle time.

I am sure there would be more but these were the ones I could find. Anyway, we can wait for the mod's reply.
Dear Rehaan, any decision on this? Agreed that many of the users might have subscribed to the threads and do not post. But what about those who have not logged in with their IDs for more than a year?
Old 8th October 2014, 03:37   #5738
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think there is any point at all in deleting or inactivating "obsolete" accounts. The posts are still going to be there: the posters may, or may not, come back one day, it doesn't matter.

it does not take up any resource, other than a negligable few bytes of database space.

large forums are like the cloud on top of a mountain. it looks as if the cloud is still, and the air up there must be stationary, but actually there is one hell of a wind --- and the cloud is a different cloud from one minute to the next.

For those who are interested in stats, total membership may not seem very useful, although it does reflect history as well as the present, which is part of the reality of a forum. All those "obsolete" members made their contributions. Some may have made some very major ones before life took them somewhere else.

For those who want to know, a rolling total of currently active members might be useful. The "management" might consider that to be commercially sensitive information; I have no idea, that is stuff that we should keep our noses out of. More likely, they mightjust think it something not worth putting development time into.

But hey, it's an idea
Old 8th October 2014, 04:16   #5739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
All those "obsolete" members made their contributions. Some may have made some very major ones before life took them somewhere else.
But hey, it's an idea
Sir, thanks for the insight. I never thought of few points that you have raised. Agree that none of us can decide or conclude if few of the members are present here or not. But still, there can be an "AUDIT". I have come across few IDs whose last log in was on the day their membership got approved. Again, it's only an idea Sirji.
Old 8th October 2014, 10:15   #5740
Senior - BHPian

I am quite sure that one of the BHPians may have suggested this and probably moderators have a reason to keep this unchanged.

In any case, I was just wondering if the thread Title under Indian Car Scene about the Vento TDi DSG must be edited:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-launched.html

Since Vento TDi DSG is available, the word Rumour must be removed from the title I guess.
Old 8th October 2014, 19:50   #5741
Team-BHP Support

Woah guys! Upload size limit for images got increased to 3 MB? That is damn nice! Thank you so much!
Old 8th October 2014, 20:06   #5742
BHPian

Mods, Team-BHP over the years has made a mark for itself not only in end-user community but even the Auto Manufacturers invite Team-BHP for new launches and new car model reviews.

Having put our foot in the door, I feel as a step towards social responsibility we should conceptualize a structured campaign around the need to standardizing basic safety features like airbags & ABS across variants for any car being manufactured in India and sold to Indians.

Once we have a strong campaign and a million signatures, we need to represent our case firmly to the Govt. of India and break the nexus of the Auto Industry & our lawmakers.

I am well aware that this is an uphill task but that should not deter us.

What we start now, could hopefully become a reality for our kids.
Old 10th October 2014, 16:21   #5743
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Dear Rehaan, any decision on this?
Hi JoseVijay, it's been mentioned every time that this question is brought up that we don't plan to remove inactive user accounts... There's no solid reason for us to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Since Vento TDi DSG is available, the word Rumour must be removed from the title I guess.
Done. Thanks!

In future, do use the Report Post functionality for suggestions like this. Link (Report Posts : Contribute in Maintaining Team-BHP's post quality)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Woah guys! Upload size limit for images got increased to 3 MB? That is damn nice! Thank you so much!
Yep! It is true (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.sxna View Post
Having put our foot in the door, I feel as a step towards social responsibility we should conceptualize a structured campaign around the need to standardizing basic safety features like airbags & ABS across variants for any car being manufactured in India and sold to Indians.

Once we have a strong campaign and a million signatures, we need to represent our case firmly to the Govt. of India and break the nexus of the Auto Industry & our lawmakers.
This is a big task; not something we can completely commit to at the moment. However, every step in the right direction matters - and rest assured we'll continue to stress the importance of road safety and manufacturer provided safety features. Reform will take time, but I'm sure it will happen.

Thanks,
R
Old 21st October 2014, 16:40   #5744
BHPian

Dear Moderators,

A small suggestion. Can we please maintain a template in giving titles to the official car reviews? The titles are many times inconsistent, like "Review: Car Name", "Car Name: Review" etc.

In my opinion, "Official Review: Name of the Car" sounds more appropriate.

Here is the pic for comparison (All 3 are official reviews). Please don't take this as a criticism . Standard format for titles (atleast for official reviews) makes the reading experience more consistent

Thanks for your understanding.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-teambhp.jpg  

Last edited by ganeshsp : 21st October 2014 at 16:43. Reason: Language :)
Old 21st October 2014, 18:41   #5745
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshsp View Post
A small suggestion. Can we please maintain a template in giving titles to the official car reviews? The titles are many times inconsistent, like "Review: Car Name", "Car Name: Review" etc.
Hi Ganeshsp,

We're actually very particular about systems and templates

If you see the actual thread titles, they are consistent (link)

In this case, the headings on the shuffling banner on the portal were written with some variation just so it wasn't too much of the same thing there (3 out of 5 are reviews).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st October 2014 at 19:00.

Most Viewed