Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2015, 21:16   #5881
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
You mean a bicycle?

Why don't you start your review thread up in the Assembly Line section & we'll see how it goes from there.
I mean- a racing, specialized bicycle. The sort of which professionals use. Curved handlebars et al....

The Audi's of cycles- if you will.

Not all that budget MTB riff-raff. I'll start a thread shortly.
Old 21st March 2015, 12:57   #5882
BHPian

Can you create an option within a thread to print, hide and save specific posts?

ie. a check box against each post in the thread, and for the selected posts you can print, or hide or "save as" only the selected posts.

The print feature is helpful especially for DIY or as a troubleshooting guide (a lot of the stuff on here is more useful than the car manual itself). Same goes for save feature.

Hiding specific posts, especially ones with lot of photos that you have already seen, makes scrolling and easier.
Old 21st March 2015, 15:09   #5883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Can you create an option within a thread to print, hide and save specific posts?

ie. a check box against each post in the thread, and for the selected posts you can print, or hide or "save as" only the selected posts.
In many forums, the URL for the post, ie clicking on the post number, will open that post alone in the tab or window. I was going to suggest that, but, on trying it, found that it didn't work.

Quote:
Hiding specific posts, especially ones with lot of photos that you have already seen, makes scrolling and easier.
One can always click on a go-to-first-unread link for the thread, but this is only a very partial answer, as it may still involve loading a whole page of posts/images that one has already seen.
Old 25th March 2015, 12:45   #5884
BHPian

Request to mods:

There are some members here who don't understand Hindi well, so would it be possible to limit all posts to using just English? Alternately, if a non-English word or phrase were used in a post, then please ask the poster to provide an English translation also for the benefit to such members.

My suggestion would not work for non-English words in the very title of the post because there would not be room to include an English translation, therefore I request that post titles be in English only. An example of such a post might be this.

Thanks and cheers
Old 25th March 2015, 20:37   #5885
BHPian

I for one am big fan of team-bhp offical reviews for the depth. But that been said -

Is it possible to divide official car reviews into sections and have hyperlink or drop down option to go for the relevant information. It would be easier to just read particular part and move on. Currently we have to go through lot of text to reach the piece we are interested in.
Old 25th March 2015, 21:14   #5886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Request to mods:

There are some members here who don't understand Hindi well, so would it be possible to limit all posts to using just English? Alternately, if a non-English word or phrase were used in a post, then please ask the poster to provide an English translation also for the benefit to such members.

Thanks and cheers
Absolutely, while we might not be able to completely remove all usage we always ask or put up a translation, in the thread you have quoted it was originally all in Hindi and that's why a Mod added the English prefix.

Please use report post feature for any post that you feel is in a language other than English & we will review & take action accordingly.
Old 26th March 2015, 17:42   #5887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Request to mods:

My suggestion would not work for non-English words in the very title of the post because there would not be room to include an English translation, therefore I request that post titles be in English only. An example of such a post might be this.

Thanks and cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Absolutely, while we might not be able to completely remove all usage we always ask or put up a translation, in the thread you have quoted it was originally all in Hindi and that's why a Mod added the English prefix.

Please use report post feature for any post that you feel is in a language other than English & we will review & take action accordingly.
As a (reasonably) active tbhpian, and someone who has a lot of respect for the community we represent - Sorry to say that some suggestions are just silly. Firstly, I didn't use a random Hindi sentence. I used a popular Hindi proverb about Lucknow that I was to write about. To add flavor to the thread title and give the reader an idea what to expect. I understand the mods adding an English prefix to aid our non-Hindi readers. (GK question - What's India's national language?) But doing away with the title altogether?

Second, and this is more of a warning. Once we start with this kind of policing, where do we stop? My own i20 is christened Argento (A Greek word). My good friends/tbhpians have cars named Rampiari (a Fiat 1100D) and Airavat (an XUV500), both with active threads. Just browsing 3 pages of the test drives section throws up a Renault Duster named Raje:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...110ps-rxl.html

And a Mercedes Benz W124 called Herr Kampfanzer!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e220-w124.html

Shall we now only accept thread titles if non-English words used in them are translated on the title itself?

In summary, here's my suggestion. Please allow parts of a title to be in Non-English, if it adds creativity.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2015 at 15:24. Reason: You may use the 'reported post' feature for the suggestion in the second post
Old 26th March 2015, 19:06   #5888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are some members here who don't understand Hindi well, so would it be possible to limit all posts to using just English?
...I request that post titles be in English only.
Since the Hindi part of the thread's title has been translated and explained in the opening post by the OP, and since moderators have been kind enough to add a short English title to make comprehension of the thread contents easy, I don't see any problem with that. One look at the title and one can determine the contents of the thread.
Quote:
+1.
Quote:
Indeed. A post can use any of the common official languages of India as long as an accurate translation is provided thereafter in the same post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
(GK question - What's India's national language?)
You need to see this link and revise your GK.
Quote:
Once we start with this kind of policing, where do we stop?
In summary, here's my suggestion. Please allow parts of a title to be in Non-English, if it adds creativity.
Agreed. As long as anyone knowing ONLY English can figure out what the contents of the thread are. See Rule #10 here.
Quote:
10. Please title threads accurately in order to represent the subject matter that they contain.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 26th March 2015 at 19:08.
Old 27th March 2015, 15:39   #5889
BHPian

Facing the below attached issue in the specific thread -
"http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/161971-arunachal-beckons-road-trip-tata-safari.html"
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-teambhp-error.jpg  

Old 27th March 2015, 16:19   #5890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
Facing the below attached issue in the specific thread -
"http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/161971-arunachal-beckons-road-trip-tata-safari.html"
It might have been moved back to assembly line.

-----

Any ongoing issue at the backend? Getting a 404 page for many links

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 355
Size:  15.7 KB
Old 30th March 2015, 09:59   #5891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a (reasonably) active tbhpian, and someone who has a lot of respect for
A bit really-

Who owns the Rampyari- The FIAT 1100D. Any pics?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That said:

This thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...my-museum.html) was originally posted in the V&C Section. GTO moved it to the Commercial Vehicles section.

Now- I think this one is fit material for- Travelogues Section. Wot?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think of it- BHPians have varied interests, and the forum isn't able to accommodate everything in the desired section or sub-section.

It can be aircraft, it can be ships, or even bicycles or even something else really. I've been pitching for a seperate 'Bicycles' sub-section.

The possible solution:
We could have an 'umbrella' section, which deals with all sorts of assorted automobiles. Battle-Tanks, Aircraft, Ships, whatever. Excavators even.

This should deal with ONLY automobiles (but of any sort), and should, thus be seperate from the "Shifting Gears' Section.

P.S : Of course, Bicycling deserves a seperate section.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th March 2015 at 10:03.
Old 12th April 2015, 13:21   #5892

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Are you referring to something like a dedicated 1:1 chat application? Please elaborate with an example or use case so that others can understand better.

We already have a mobile app for Android and iPhone though I should probably add that I still prefer browser over the app due to the limitations in the app. Mobile browsers have evolved a lot in recent years to the point where it is almost on par with desktop browsers in terms of functionality. So the browsers offer more functionality than the app in most cases.

Sorry for late Response Zenren, Yes you right but not exactly 1:1 but which shows active members status and Instant Expert comment.
Old 15th April 2015, 14:16   #5893
Senior - BHPian

A suggestion about notification on updates. Not sure if it already mentioned but when 'newbies' quote you, the PM comes immediately. But the post itself is approved by the mods after a few minutes/hours time.

Can something be done to send the PM 'after' the post is visible?
Old 15th April 2015, 19:15   #5894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCar View Post
Sorry for late Response Zenren, Yes you right but not exactly 1:1 but which shows active members status and Instant Expert comment.
We do have all the online members listed in the Forum home page and you can always send a PM to a specific member whom you think might be able to help you in a specific regard if you don't want to post the specific issue in the public domain. I'm sure some of the senior/D-BHPians would be getting many PMs and would be responding at the earliest whenever they can. In my case, I've got a response back typically in a few hours when I PMed a few fellow BHPians. Same was the case with the PMs I got - I believe I was able to respond back in roughly the same time frame.

Unless there is a genuine reason why it cannot be public, the forum is the best place to post. No one is the absolute expert and the collective wisdom of several BHPians is what makes the topics so rich and accurate. Individual interactions would always carry a risk of incorrect advise too, since others are not seeing the conversation to correct any mistakes or incorrect assumptions.

Opening a new thread or posting on a relevant existing discussion is the fastest way to get the response from the online users. If someone is not replying on that, it is unlikely that they might reply even in the other options. Most members follow the principle of keeping quiet if you've got nothing valuable to contribute. The silence just means that no one has got something meaningful to say.

If your expectation is to get a response immediately, please note that all the BHPians including you, me and the Mods have a day job and hence we cannot expect a dedicated call center kind of service level agreement in the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
A suggestion about notification on updates. Not sure if it already mentioned but when 'newbies' quote you, the PM comes immediately. But the post itself is approved by the mods after a few minutes/hours time.

Can something be done to send the PM 'after' the post is visible?
Fully agree on this one. The previous post from CrazyCar is a classic example where I got the alert but the post was not visible when I checked and I forgot about it later.

However, I think this was already suggested earlier and if I recall correctly, the limitation is with the forum software (vBulletin) and hence there isn't much TBHP Mods or Admins can do to customize this behavior. Rehaan can probably confirm.

Last edited by zenren : 15th April 2015 at 19:18.
Old 15th April 2015, 19:26   #5895
BHPian

Don't know if this has been mentioned before. Correct me if I'm wrong but I strongly feel that the thread on 'Detailing' should not come under the 'Technical Stuff' category. IMO it actually deserves a separate section and the current thread 'A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide' should be the top sticky. The subsections can include 'All about Car Waxes & Sealants', a thread for doubts regarding detailing, product reviews, a showoff section for presenting the detailing works etc.

Most Viewed