Old 6th July 2008, 12:25   #1426

Do you purge threads after long periods of inactivity? Seems to me that there are too many posts to old threads, often by mistake, and the info and posts are out of date and the information is no longer correct. So, my suggestion, if you do not already do it, just automatically purge threads that have had no activity for some long period of time. Or, have somebody review them prior to purging.

DirtyDan
Old 6th July 2008, 13:09   #1427

@GTO, Have you ever considered providing an option to tag the posts akin to the Gmail labels or delicio.us links. I believe searching for topics will become much easier if tagged correctly.
Old 6th July 2008, 14:52   #1428

Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I don't know if anyone has brought this up or faced it, but at times, i feel that some of the Garages have rude comments left on them by members.
Can anything be done to delete those or warn the member?
Lambo, please PM us with links to the garages you speak of and action will be taken. Thanks.

Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Do you purge threads after long periods of inactivity? Seems to me that there are too many posts to old threads, often by mistake, and the info and posts are out of date and the information is no longer correct. So, my suggestion, if you do not already do it, just automatically purge threads that have had no activity for some long period of time. Or, have somebody review them prior to purging.

DirtyDan
DD, at the moment, the only threads that get automatically locked are the Introduction threads. Sometimes digging up an old thread can be redundant - but it is usually pointed out fairly quickly by fellow members. However, most other times useful information is added and even though the late reply might not help the original poster, it definitely could help others reading those threads or searching for that info in the future.

Originally Posted by nemo View Post
@GTO, Have you ever considered providing an option to tag the posts akin to the Gmail labels or delicio.us links. I believe searching for topics will become much easier if tagged correctly.
One of the things we try to do at the moment is put the useful keywords in the thread title - that way searching for certain words "in the title only" (advanced search) helps narrow down search results. Searching specific sections only helps further.

cya
R
Old 7th July 2008, 07:44   #1429

On road prices

Would it not be a good idea to have a section where on road prices of cars in most cities is posted? It could be updated say every quarter.

Most mags give showroom prices. Dont know if this is already there and I am missing it.
Old 7th July 2008, 09:27   #1430

Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Would it not be a good idea to have a section where on road prices of cars in most cities is posted? It could be updated say every quarter.

Most mags give showroom prices. Dont know if this is already there and I am missing it.
I tried starting a thread for this once. One will need to have an excel sheet or so for this. Updating the excel sheet will be easy rather than people posting the OTR every other day.
Old 7th July 2008, 09:44   #1431

Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I tried starting a thread for this once. One will need to have an excel sheet or so for this. Updating the excel sheet will be easy rather than people posting the OTR every other day.
Updating it every quarter would not serve the purpose; car prices change far more frequently than that. I agree with jkdas that another format, probably a database that can be updated is required (vis a vis posts).

This could be a huge value-add for the forum. Thanks for the suggestion, Deepak. We will look at some options in the near future.
Old 7th July 2008, 09:45   #1432

I have an excel sheet prepared for this. Where do you want me to upload it? Let me know. Shall do the needful.

Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Old 7th July 2008, 13:06   #1433

I agree with jkdas that another format, probably a database that can be updated is required (vis a vis posts).
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
I have an excel sheet prepared for this. Where do you want me to upload it? Let me know. Shall do the needful.
For that we need something like Google Docs

https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...epage&rm=false
Old 8th July 2008, 10:16   #1434

Hi Mods,

Just observed a small fault in the search engine. I tried typing out a brief heading of a post(more than 4 words) and then the full name of the post as well kept getting a error that I have not entered the minimum 3 words or something like that. Have copy pasted the exact message I got right now.

"The search term you specified (A) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific."

Just though I would inform you guys.

Viper
Old 8th July 2008, 11:27   #1435

Viper, from the message it seems the sentence had a single A somewhere, can you also post the search string? I believe all the words in the search should be atleast 3 characters long
Old 8th July 2008, 11:57   #1436

@Viper, you will get that message even if one of the words you do a search for, is less than 3 characters.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:24   #1437

Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
....I believe all the words in the search should be atleast 3 characters long
...even if one of the words you do a search for, is less than 3 characters.
Exactly.

Originally the search would just ignore the short words, but that had its negatives, for example if someone searched for "mercedes SL" they would get all the threads with the word mercedes in it (since search would ignore the SL part).

The behaviour has been changed since quite a while now, and definitely helps accuracy (or rather, unannounced innacuracy)

cya
R
Old 8th July 2008, 14:00   #1438

Ok got it one of the words was a "A". Now is there a way around this. The thread I was looking for was my own "The Quest For Making A Sleeper Car". How do I search for this I tried using the first 4 words only as well.

Viper
Old 8th July 2008, 14:05   #1439

search for 'sleeper' in the thread titles

or even easier, go to your profile & click on all threads started by me.

here is a link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...eeper-car.html

Last edited by esteem_lover : 8th July 2008 at 14:08.
Old 8th July 2008, 14:17   #1440

Originally Posted by viper View Post

Ok got it one of the words was a "A". Now is there a way around this. The thread I was looking for was my own "The Quest For Making A Sleeper Car". How do I search for this I tried using the first 4 words only as well.

Viper
Jignesh bhai,
What I do in such cases is put the "thread title+team BHP" in Google and it usually gives near accurate result. I too faced this problem wherein either the word was less than 3 characters or I remembered the thread title partially. So I started using the above mentioned method.

See the attached screenshot
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-jiggy.jpg

BTW, here is your thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post445655

P.S. Sent you a PM. Plz reply soon!

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 8th July 2008 at 14:28.