Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 09:22   #2041
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan, thanks for your reply and appreciate your time!
Old 12th March 2009, 16:38   #2042
BHPian

OK, I think this is a problem, which I noticed.
I go to the More section, from the menu bar, on the TBHP forum
From there I select Tuners option.

Tuner sections asks me to select, City. Now this is how I go.
I select Mumbai as city.
and Now i select e.g Automech Exhaust (tuner)
and click on search.
Im taken to the automech page.
So far so good.
Now I want to check out some other tuners information. SO on the same page, I search for "Back" button, but i dont find one.
So I use the back button of the Browser.
Again It asks to me select City and Tuner.
Now when I select City, as Mumbai, the list of Tuners is not populated.

Would request Mods to look into this.

Attached is the Image. FYI, I'm using Mozilla Firefox .
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-sample.jpg  

Last edited by normally_crazy : 12th March 2009 at 19:00.
Old 12th March 2009, 17:46   #2043
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep noticed that too. Either you need to change the city to some other city and then again change to mumbai to see the list or reload the page a couple of times. Happens in Safari as well (Mac).
Old 12th March 2009, 21:44   #2044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
Tuner sections asks me to select, City. Now this is how I go.
I select Mumbai as city.
and Now i select e.g Automech Exhaust (tuner)
and click on search.
Im taken to the automech page.
So far so good.
Now I want to check out some other tuners information. SO on the same page, I search for "Back" button, but i dont find one.
So I use the back button of the Browser.
Again It asks to me select City and Tuner.
Now when I select City, as Mumbai, the list of Tuners is not populated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Yep noticed that too. Either you need to change the city to some other city and then again change to mumbai to see the list or reload the page a couple of times. Happens in Safari as well (Mac).

its working fine on my laptop.

i selected a tuner, then pressed back and then went to the next tuner and back again and so on.checked out all the tuners in bombay that way.

rev
Old 12th March 2009, 23:59   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post

i selected a tuner, then pressed back and then went to the next tuner and back again and so on.checked out all the tuners in bombay that way.

rev
Dont know why but it happens. Thatz the reason I gave that screenshot.
May be MODS could give a better explanation on this.
Old 13th March 2009, 18:16   #2046
Senior - BHPian

This is regarding "page breaks".

I feel there must either be a feature to incert page breaks between ones post or there shall be an upper limit to pictures in one page after which the remaining photos and article go on to next page.

This I say because here keep coming some really nice treads, with lots and lots of beautiful photographs, but all on one page. Its a treet to see them but in anticipation of further updated one keeps refreshing the page, or when we see in subscripion that there is an update we open it again and again. But for many with slow speeds this could mean a lot of time for all photos to download again and again, also if someone is using an internet plan with download charge (like in my mobile) that becomes not cost effective.

So the page break in a thread should be based on the length of the page or numbers of photos.
Old 13th March 2009, 18:19   #2047
Senior - BHPian

The Reporting Post time needs to be decreased as now it is asking to wait for 5mins before submitting the 2nd Post.

The search also asks to wait for 10secs even after 10-20secs if research it will again say wait for 10mins
Old 14th March 2009, 11:50   #2048
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
Working fine on my computer as well. Still, we will have our designers run a check on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
This is regarding "page breaks".
Ym-enjn,

1. I see this as a temporary problem. Internet connections are becoming faster and cheaper by the day. It will only be a li'l more time before all of us are sitting on 2 mbps connections for 500 bucks a month.

2. Splitting is entirely dependant on the thread creator. That said, we don't expect members to wait for 14 replies before submitting the next installment of their report / content.

3. Use Opera / a browser that allows you to switch image display off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
The Reporting Post time needs to be decreased as now it is asking to wait for 5mins before submitting the 2nd Post.
Reduced to 2 minutes. Thank you.

Quote:
The search also asks to wait for 10secs even after 10-20secs if research it will again say wait for 10mins
Searching through the database is an incredibly server intensive process. Many will appreciate that we have left advanced search options available to guests as well. The reason behind enforcing this time lag is:

1. To stop the server from getting choked.

2. To prevent spambots from unnecessarily searching through our database, and using up server resources.

That said, we do have an alternate solution (google search) coming up very soon.
Old 14th March 2009, 12:16   #2049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That said, we do have an alternate solution (google search) coming up very soon.
I think google search will be great if incorporated. I find the current search engine inadequate. Many a times i google search "xyx team-bhp" and then click on the link to go a particular thread on our site.

Can't we incorporate an option to see number of posts per page? Give options of 10, 20, 30? Will make the number of pages less and reloading time also decreases.
Old 14th March 2009, 14:59   #2050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
....The search also asks to wait for 10secs even after 10-20secs if research it will again say wait for 10mins
I'm assuming that was a typo and you mean 10seconds right?

GTO has mentioned the need to have this interval. 10 seconds is really short, so hopefully it shouldnt cause too much inconvenience - and ofcourse, the google search coming up will not have any limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
....Can't we incorporate an option to see number of posts per page? Give options of 10, 20, 30? Will make the number of pages less and reloading time also decreases.
Tejas,

It has been recommended that we keep it fixed at this setting to optimize the server performance for a variety of reasons. Also, changing this might affect threads with titles like "pics on page 5".

cya
R
Old 14th March 2009, 21:04   #2051
BHPian

How about adding "V&C International"

Its time we opened up the windows and let some of our light out!
Lots of fellow enthusiasts out there just waiting to get to know us and share our passion.

what are your comments?

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th March 2009 at 04:39. Reason: John, as per my PM you were requested to post in the suggestions thread. Posts moved accordingly. Thanks.
Old 14th March 2009, 21:15   #2052
DKG
Senior - BHPian

John there's no stopping people from signing up from abroad. Many do all the time. Perhaps I am not getting what you mean
Old 14th March 2009, 22:17   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
John there's no stopping people from signing up from abroad. Many do all the time. Perhaps I am not getting what you mean
I've posted a few items or threads that were N.A. based and they were shifted to BHP WORLDWIDE under "The International Auto Scene." Most recently was some information on a unique 1934 Ford Model 40 Special Speedster that I felt was worthy to share. They get lost there and need a home of their own..

My suggestion is to open up a new section that reaches beyond India by either;
!. Introduce a new Sub forum under BHP World Wide, "Vintage Cars and Classics International" or
2. Introduce under Pre-1950 and Post-1950 a new sub forum "International".

There is so much information and fellow enthusiasts that we can access but at this time we don't have a place or sub-forum to accommodate it.

I've been promoting Team BHP to a lot of my friends and some of the editors of car Mags back home as well when doing research in the U.S. are able to connect them to BHP.

I've got some 1915 Canadian Ford sales lit and a 1915 Ford Magazine that was used throughout the World and lots of interesting cars going through RM Auctions that I was going to scan and post, -- but will it get lost.

Hope this clarifies the purpose of this thread.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th March 2009 at 04:37.
Old 16th March 2009, 13:49   #2054
Team-BHP Support

unable to access Page 2 of Tanveer's travelogue

Rehaan / GTO,
This is the error i am getting:

Quote:
: require(/usr/www/users/rushabh/forum/55110-nightmares-dreamscapes-trip-revbpicgallery.php) [[COLOR=#0000ff]function.require[/COLOR]]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/www/users/rushabh/forum/vbseo.php on line 1129

Fatal error: require() [[COLOR=#0000ff]function.require[/COLOR]]: Failed opening required '/usr/www/users/rushabh/forum/55110-nightmares-dreamscapes-trip-revbpicgallery.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /usr/www/users/rushabh/forum/vbseo.php on line 1129
Screenshot:

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-error.jpg

Anyone else facing the same issue?!
Old 16th March 2009, 14:25   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Rehaan / GTO,
This is the error i am getting:

Anyone else facing the same issue?!
+1 here! Am able to view only page 1 of TSK's thread. If I move to second thread, I get this error.

OT: Seems like one of those most awaited site, which come up and within few seconds crashes due to high traffic!

Most Viewed