Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 17:32   #2131
Senior - BHPian

I can save pages.
But not the whole threads.
Some of which are 100s of pages long .

Is it possible to save the whole thread?
Old 19th April 2009, 11:05   #2132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
You mean something like downloading the thread in a Text or Word file format? Thats a good idea. We would be able to download a lengthy thread to our cell phones and read it while traveling or when free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Is there any way a thread can be saved so that it can be viewed offline as well.
If not then can this be implemented somehow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I can save pages.
But not the whole threads.
Some of which are 100s of pages long .

Is it possible to save the whole thread?
Old hack allowed one to save threads as txt. New ones allow saving as PDF. BUT I dont know how server intensive this might be. Anyway, here are the links for the mods to check out.
Download Forum Thread To Your Computer (vB 3.5.x) - vBulletin.org Forum
Download Thread as PDF - vBulletin.org Forum
Old 19th April 2009, 12:02   #2133
Senior - BHPian

But that will be available if Team-Bhp adds it.
Not other wise
Old 19th April 2009, 12:48   #2134
BHPian

abhinav, if you want to do it otherwise, then try some offline explorer type software.
Old 19th April 2009, 19:14   #2135
Team-BHP Support

for offline storage and reading on mobile devices use this:
Team-BHP - Team-BHP FAQ: Advanced Forum Usage
Old 19th April 2009, 22:08   #2136
Senior - BHPian

I dont know whether this was mentioned before in this thread.

Try putting a Section for Car and Bike Buyers Guide just like in the last few pages of OD and ACI . Start separate Main threads for each company like Maruti , Hyundai etc. Under each Main thread , start sub threads for each car . Each thread should be locked and it should contain information like . Features , Specifications , Prices in Major cities , some interiors and exterior pictures of the car.
Old 19th April 2009, 22:23   #2137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post

Try putting a Section for Car and Bike Buyers Guide just like in the last few pages of OD and ACI . Start separate Main threads for each company like Maruti , Hyundai etc. Under each Main thread , start sub threads for each car . Each thread should be locked and it should contain information like . Features , Specifications , Prices in Major cities , some interiors and exterior pictures of the car.

i think this was discussed earlier but updating this section was a problem with rates spec so the idea was dropped by the mods.

i am not sure but mods can confirm this.
Old 20th April 2009, 00:47   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I don't know whether this has been proposed before (can't go through 140+ pages of suggestions ! ), but here's something all of us have experienced before - going through dozens of pages to find that *update* hidden somewhere in a long and tedious thread.

Some threads' titles are modified by the mods to reflect the update, but really, isn't it a convoluted method for something that has a much simpler solution ?

I (hereby ? ) suggest that an option of editing (or just appending to) the first post be available with the thread starter.

If he (male dominated team-bhp, sigh) updates the thread with something vital (*xxxxx km update*/ *new HU bought* et al ) the links for the same can be added to the first post.

If you feel that changing the content once posted shouldn't be allowed, how about implementing just the append option I mentioned earlier?

Sob. All other suggestions have either been accepted or refuted. No comments/replies for this one?
Old 20th April 2009, 09:04   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
for offline storage and reading on mobile devices use this:
Team-BHP - Team-BHP FAQ: Advanced Forum Usage
Quote:
RSS 2.0 - This feed contains title, author, date and the contents of the first post of the thread.
Does not contain whole thread.
Old 21st April 2009, 18:28   #2140
BHPian

Why can't we start with a body parts price list section, that would make the site super cool and maybe mini auto ebay where dealers can post their contact information for the parts they have listed and whether or not they are in stock or something like wise???
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:25   #2141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnazim View Post
Why can't we start with a body parts price list section, that would make the site super cool and maybe mini auto ebay where dealers can post their contact information for the parts they have listed and whether or not they are in stock or something like wise???
I guess they are already posted in classified section. More over lets hope to have a more user friendly and content rich interface with the upcoming new classified section.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:06   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
You mean something like downloading the thread in a Text or Word file format? Thats a good idea. We would be able to download a lengthy thread to our cell phones and read it while traveling or when free!
RSS comes handy for this. Default RSS feed will display only first post in each thread. But you can change the RSS URL to change this behaviour.

That ways, RSS will capture ALL posts. E.g. :

This URL will give you last 10 posts in "Indian Car Scene" forum.

http : //www.team-bhp.com/forum/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=20&lastpost=1&coun t=10

Remove spaces before and after ":" to make it real URL.

Snapshot :
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-tbhp_forum_rss_for_posts.png

You can set your RSS reader to cache all Images as well. But settings would depend on the reader you are using.
Old 24th April 2009, 00:31   #2143
BHPian

I have a suggestion to make for the 4x4 section.

I feel, in a way to better organize the section, it can be split into 2 subsections as follows
1. OTR events and recces (Similar to travelogues)
2. Rebuild, modifications, enhancements, technicalities of 4x4 vehicles

Just my 2 cents !
Old 24th April 2009, 01:24   #2144
Senior - BHPian

But i was looking for something which could save the whole thread?
Old 25th April 2009, 12:10   #2145
BHPian

I feel good to be a part of Team-bhp and I am also amazed by the knowledge of cars fellow bhp-ians have.
I would like to suggest the following few things and i believe these changes can enhance the user experience of bhp-ians.

1. There are far too many threads that exist for any particular car, yes,I do agree moderators continually merge threads and move threads appropriately.But i feel something needs to be changed in the view or total presentation of the contents of our site as whenever an item is entered for search the result is not generally what is desired. Grouping discussion on cars brand wise could result in a better modularity, but i am finding it difficult to think of other impacts or bottlenecks. I hope fellow bhp-ians would have a similar experience and would have a better solution for this.

2. Though team-bhp as a whole maintains a high degree of integrity, i could see bhp-ians quoting exhorbitant prices for their cars in the classifieds section. A proper filtering at this section would make sure that fellow bhp-ians get a fair deal as far as they trade anything within team-bhp.Also this woulld definitely help the members as they need not go and get embittered by a dealer, instead they can buy their cars from a trusted fellow bhp-ian.

P.S: I don't know whether these points have already been discussed, but giving it a thought again will definitely help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks