Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:27   #2386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
huh. any trouble with the stickers and rain? I'm about the stick them up.
I will let pranavt reply about his experience here, but take a look at my reply to your query here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1398427-post938.html

cya
R
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:30   #2387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Greenhorn,

I'd just like to clarify that during the earlier times we have discussed this in this thread - it was more along the lines of a "karma SYSTEM" or a "member reputation level" which the Support Team had decided against at the time.

Pachchu's post could be extrapolated to be the above, but as he has mentioned himself, he doesn't see the value in "cumulative counts" etc.

In other words, the closest comparison could be the "like" button on facebook - if you are familiar with that.

A quick way to say "thanks, your post helped me / i enjoyed reading your post" without having to type a 1-liner post that adds no new/useful info to the thread.
Ok. there are three things then.

1. like you said, it is similar to 'like' in facebook, just saying 'Thank you' to a post - most of the posts in sidindica's punto vs ritz vs i20 comparison thread are really 'thank you' posts with no additional value. Getting rid of those posts (by replacing them with Thank you) makes reading that thread really fast and threads shorter and meaningful. That sidindica's post will have a count showing Received 30 Thanks instead of 2-3 pages of posts saying 'Thank you' 'Awesome', 'Great', ... etc. As a stretch goal, you can even show who all thanked a particular post.

2. if somebody's posts are repeatedly thanked, like sidindica's posts, then along with sidindica's profile, you will also see 'Thanks received: 5672'. That is the cumulative count of all the thanks received by sidindica in all the posts combined. This I am in favor of. (this is similar to your 'member reputation level' however derived from other people's thanks). This is an incentive to members to post messages which are useful so that they can enhance their reputation.

3. What I am not in favor of is, whenever pachchu gives a thanks to anybody, pachchu's "Thanks given" counter also increases. This I really don't find meaningful. Nobody really cares how often pachchu thanks others.

Feel free to reject any of the above based on your criteria. Just a suggestion.
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:51   #2388
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
huh. any trouble with the stickers and rain? I'm about the stick them up.
Nope, none. I did this on a wet car with a small handkerchief, dried the area where the sticker was to be applied, cleaned it thoroughly and then stuck the stickers. The one sticker was due to my own mistake and a couple of air bubbles. Trying to fix that problem caused a sticker to tear, that's all.

I do not agree with the reputation/karma/thanks bit. All it does is encourage groupthink. And besides, this gives people the impression that a new person on the forums will always be stupid/illiterate. -1 from me on that feature.

Last edited by pranavt : 23rd July 2009 at 22:55.
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:55   #2389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu View Post
Ok. there are three things then.

1. like you said, it is similar to 'like' in facebook, just saying 'Thank you' to a post - most of the posts in sidindica's punto vs ritz vs i20 comparison thread are really 'thank you' posts with no additional value. Getting rid of those posts (by replacing them with Thank you) makes reading that thread really fast and threads shorter and meaningful. That sidindica's post will have a count showing Received 30 Thanks instead of 2-3 pages of posts saying 'Thank you' 'Awesome', 'Great', ... etc. As a stretch goal, you can even show who all thanked a particular post.

2. if somebody's posts are repeatedly thanked, like sidindica's posts, then along with sidindica's profile, you will also see 'Thanks received: 5672'. That is the cumulative count of all the thanks received by sidindica in all the posts combined. This I am in favor of. (this is similar to your 'member reputation level' however derived from other people's thanks). This is an incentive to members to post messages which are useful so that they can enhance their reputation.

3. What I am not in favor of is, whenever pachchu gives a thanks to anybody, pachchu's "Thanks given" counter also increases. This I really don't find meaningful. Nobody really cares how often pachchu thanks others.

Feel free to reject any of the above based on your criteria. Just a suggestion.
I like this suggestion, specially since it will reduce the length of 95% of the threads.
+1 Thank you to you from my side pachchu.

EDIT: not supporting the Karma feature, but a similar feature like the facebook one.

However, now if i play devil's advocate, this feature will not provide a significant reduction in the number of thank you posts, since if you scrutinize most of these regularly, the thank you's normally come most from newbies or bhpians just to increase their post count. (no offense to anybody. i confess, i have done it too a couple of times).

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 23rd July 2009 at 22:57. Reason: see edit
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:59   #2390
BHPian

Moderators please!

Dear moderators,
I have a request. I was trying to change the engine oil of my Palio MJD and I wanted check the forum regarding the right procedure to follow. A thought struck me. What can't we have a few threads detailing procedures for car maintenance under a heading “car maintenance”. It will about everything regarding car maintenance or rather how one can do it. We already have threads like “things to do before taking delivery of vehicle” etc. which are hugely popular. In this proposed thread we don't encourage discussion. It should succinctly give details of different aspects of car maintenance like tires, engine oil etc. for different make of cars. It presupposes that each article would be written by experts in the field. It doesn't hurt to mention different brand names and objective comparisons when, say for example, we talk about tires. I am not sure if already such threads exist. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th July 2009, 08:53   #2391
BHPian

The feature to just view just the photos in a thread is very useful.I am not sure if the Photos are currently sorted in which order. Will it be possible to sort it in a way that the recently posted photos comes first in the list?
Old 24th July 2009, 22:38   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Reg Newbies

One thing I have noticed is that when someone with a newbie status posts, the posts do not appear in the thread until a moderator has approved it.

And suppose, if the person wants to edit it, there is no way he can edit it within the first 15-20 minutes as he cannot see his own post as it is not yet approved and is forced to create a new post!

I feel the 50 post limit was better than the 25 post limit for becoming a BHPian as it gives time for the user to learn about the forum rules. (Any particular reason why this was changed?)
Old 24th July 2009, 23:12   #2393
BHPian

Not sure if this was posted here - can you bring the "Manage Attachments" & "Preview" features on the "Quick Reply" section?

Got to "Advanced" just to post the pictures and preview the response.. just a thought
Old 27th July 2009, 16:01   #2394
Distinguished - BHPian

Mods,
I know you'll are revamping the classified section. Here's one more suggestion about that: When a car is sold, and SOLD appears in RED in the column, let the price also be mentioned. So atleast future buyers for a similar model have an idea to the approx price the car was sold at.
Old 27th July 2009, 16:37   #2395
BHPian

On the same lines of Tejas about Classifieds section.. can you also add a "Comments" or "Queries" box to every listing? What if an interested buyer has some questions about it and wants to know more, also it can help other future viewers of the listing if they have the same query?
Old 27th July 2009, 19:52   #2396
Senior - BHPian

heres what I'd love to see. A download section. We've got some awesome Pix doing the rounds in various threads and many of them are wallpaper material. If you guys can , with permission of the person posting it, put a copy in downloads sections it'll be the best I can look for. For eg, the Amby's photo taken and post processed (I'm guessing it is PP'd) by Rudra Sen is one of the best images ever and I'd like to put it up as wallpaper.
Think about it. I'm not keen on asking for videos though coz youtube has more or less every damn video ever in the internet.
Old 27th July 2009, 20:14   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?ushk@r View Post
On the same lines of Tejas about Classifieds section.. can you also add a "Comments" or "Queries" box to every listing? What if an interested buyer has some questions about it and wants to know more, also it can help other future viewers of the listing if they have the same query?
It was removed only a couple of months ago because some auctions/ads were made fun of by people. Though I do agree that the comments section was quite useful for asking about the product.
Old 31st July 2009, 14:29   #2398
BHPian

Not sure if this was suggested earlier! I was wondering if you guys can add "Invite" option for all the users? This feature can help members to invite their friends, colleagues etc to join this forum! This way the forum can get more members.

You can also add "Referrals" option in the profile to show how many people have been invited or has referred by that person.
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:36   #2399
Senior - BHPian

after seeing the real names thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...eal-names.html
I wonder if a "real name" field could be added to the profile for those of us who dont mind disclosing it.
Old 4th August 2009, 00:06   #2400
BHPian

I would like to see a better "Attachments" page (the one which opens when you click the attachment icon for any thread).

It can be improved to have thumbnails of the images rather than a list of images and also a link to the post(s) where the image was used.

This would be very useful for new users like me to go through old threads and see only pictures.

For example, the thread has a few hundred pictures probably, and it would be great if I could go through the pictures on attachment page using thumbnails and could go to relevant post(s) where I find the picture interesting.

Most Viewed