Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 20:00   #2446
Senior - BHPian

I dont know if I am correct here or not, but I agree with Vasudeva on the topic of Fiat cars.
The threads are of no meaning after a few posts from the thread starter. The real value is all but lost in almost all the Fiat threads now, with arguments coming in about how great and how bad Fiat is. A new section only for Fiat will be helpful in preventing all these fights. Even if fight occurs, atleast we will not have multiple threads that have fights in them.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th September 2009 at 20:01.
Old 10th September 2009, 10:23   #2447
Team-BHP Support

How about..

1. Create a new section called breaking news.
2. Threads with outstanding information, breaking news on releases can be copied there.
3. Link that section with Submitting Your Content : Individual articles - Google News (publishers) Help
Old 17th September 2009, 13:26   #2448
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been wishing this for a long time now.

Segregation of the ownership threads.

Can they be divided based on the type of vehicle(like the What Car section) or better still Manufacturer wise? There won't be more than 8-10 sub divisions in this case I think. Even if there are more, the ones with smaller volumes can be grouped as under others.

At present now, the ownership thread looks like one big fiat thread with only puntos and lineas. You really have to look hard to find something else.
Old 17th September 2009, 14:21   #2449
BHPian

One suggestion from my side...
In Team-BHP Reviews section, how about having reviews segregated based on Car manufacturers and again down the ladder different cars from their respective manufacturers ? Will this not be easy to view the reviews?
Old 17th September 2009, 16:25   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I quite agree. I am dead against big smilies and multicolor stuff. Let this be an uncluttered and a "formal" forum please.
Yep. The best part about this forum's look-and-feel is its simplicity and lack of bling.
Avatars, multi-coloured fonts etc take away from the actual content which is what is important on a forum such as this.
Old 19th September 2009, 14:49   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Guys, don't flack me for this. But I think we must relax on the "mention of alcohol" rule? I completely agree that we must not encourage DUI. But why ban the mention of alcohol in cases where there is no drinking and driving? ...
Interested to see the mods' viewpoint on this!
Old 20th September 2009, 00:00   #2452
BHPian

Hi Mods,
Many a times I felt a need to alert a fellow BHPian (whom I could see was online) about some thread/post. Using the PM way wouldnt alert the user right away. Hence, how about having a very basic chat facility (like on Facebook) if its technically possible (v-bulletin support,etc) and feasible.

Secondly the min 3 characters hampers many a times with genuine searches ( say for example, searching for BMW X5, Audi Q5, etc isn't possible) hence one has to use the alternate google method (keyword site:Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Home on google) which everyone may not be familiar with.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 20th September 2009 at 00:01.
Old 21st September 2009, 02:15   #2453
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
(regarding the new classifieds) We've been waiting for ages. When when when, lol ?
Eddy - the longer it takes, the better it gets, seriously. Hang in there - we'll try not to make it tooo much better!!

Quote:
...I think we must relax on the "mention of alcohol" rule? I completely agree that we must not encourage DUI. But why ban the mention of alcohol in cases where there is no drinking and driving?....
Mclaren, when it comes to dealing with tens of thousands of members, the simpler the rule the better. Black and white works better than shades of grey -- and we aren't losing out on any really valuable content due to this rule. The Support Team has discussed it in a LOT of detail, from tons of viewpoints and this was the solution that was the best for most, hence adopted.

Quote:
Also, I just noticed this. If one is running the black theme then it doesn't have an option to create a garage from the User CP.
Thanks for bringing that to our notice. The CP approach seems to be missing from the BHP Silver skin as well. Noted for the next edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
....A new section only for Fiat will be helpful in preventing all these fights. Even if fight occurs, atleast we will not have multiple threads that have fights in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
...Segregation of the ownership threads.

Can they be divided based on the type of vehicle(like the What Car section) or better still Manufacturer wise? ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
....how about having reviews segregated based on Car manufacturers and again down the ladder different cars from their respective manufacturers ?....
Loud and clear guys.
We have discussed possible solutions in the past, and i think it might be the right time to reconsider them.
Perhaps even a TAGGING system with all the manufacturer names as tags for just a few sections (Test-drives, Long-term ownership, Dealerships?, Indian car scene?).

Will discuss this once again within the Support Team, as i think the needs/volume of threads have increased since we discussed this last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Pushing to google is definitely something we will get to soon. Though your link does say :

"Google News currently gets articles by crawling online news sites. We're unable to manually add an individual article or press release to our index."

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Many a times I felt a need to alert a fellow BHPian (whom I could see was online) about some thread/post. Using the PM way wouldnt alert the user right away. Hence, how about having a very basic chat facility (like on Facebook) if its technically possible (v-bulletin support,etc) and feasible.
adheesh, the chat thing has been discussed a ton of times in this thread, so i will address your comment as a way to "alert a fellow member".

Why isn't PM good enough ?
- It pops up a notification of a new PM by default as soon as the user clicks onwards on the site.
- It sends a "New PM from xyz" email to the user instantly (configurable)

Also keep an eye out for the user's IM (msn, yim, etc) details in their profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
... one has to use the alternate google method ... which everyone may not be familiar with.
In order to improve this we have :
1. Included a terribly easy to use Google Custom Search on our webpage itself, but you have to be using one of the "BHP" skins. (Default for guests). See link below.
2. We've compiled a "How to search" guide for members & guest, which can be viewed in our Annoucements section. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...p-members.html)

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2009 at 02:21. Reason: Some ANSWERS....
Old 21st September 2009, 10:12   #2454
BHPian

I have seen umpteen times that people post back-to-back within the 20 minutes time limit. Then somebody has to report the post and Support has to rectify it.

Why don't we add this functionality in the forum itself? If the the user had posted in the same thread in last 20 minutes, do not allow posting and give a link to edit the last post of him/her.
Old 21st September 2009, 16:09   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh
adheesh, the chat thing has been discussed a ton of times in this thread, so i will address your comment as a way to "alert a fellow member".

Why isn't PM good enough ?
- It pops up a notification of a new PM by default as soon as the user clicks onwards on the site.
- It sends a "New PM from xyz" email to the user instantly (configurable)

Also keep an eye out for the user's IM (msn, yim, etc) details in their profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh
... one has to use the alternate google method ... which everyone may not be familiar with.
In order to improve this we have :
1. Included a terribly easy to use Google Custom Search on our webpage itself, but you have to be using one of the "BHP" skins. (Default for guests). See link below.
2. We've compiled a "How to search" guide for members & guest, which can be viewed in our Annoucements section. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...p-members.html)

cya
R
Thanks for the solutions Rehaan !!
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:50   #2456
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
....Why don't we add this functionality in the forum itself? If the the user had posted in the same thread in last 20 minutes, do not allow posting and give a link to edit the last post of him/her....
Ah, yes!

This is something i have had on my "wishlist" for a while now. Hopefully in the future the software should handle this automatically -- the same way as it warns you if you try and post the same post twice.

Lets hope that gets worked in, but for now, we have to stick to the current system.

Also, thanks for consistently reporting posts Gandhi. Much appreciated.

cya
R
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:25   #2457
Senior - BHPian

how about a customizable home screen?

some features could be:
- updates from your favorite threads.
- a way of storing snippets of info from one thread or the other, right now I bookmark them and it gets very cluttered and confusing.
- a guide to 'local' threads. for example if your location is set to chennai, threads and info regarding chennai can be part of the home screen.

etc.

cheers

Last edited by anekho : 23rd September 2009 at 23:27.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:18   #2458
BHPian

One more from me:
I understand advertising one's business is not allowed here. Great. Why not have another section like you do the classifieds where dealers can advertise. All Dealers have to be part of Team-BHP. This would mean people like me who dont know where to get what would have an opportunity to browse what kind of a dealer I am dealing with. I assume that all Team-Bhp'ians would be honest to other BHP'ians

Last edited by RP_812 : 24th September 2009 at 11:19. Reason: Corrected
Old 24th September 2009, 15:10   #2459
Distinguished - BHPian

in the user cp, is it possible to mark some unread threads as "read" similar to emails. Many a time, you wanna keep an eye on a particular thread but not go over it daily.

Another thing i would love to have is a way to answer PMs via email. Once we get an email notification, simply reply and it goes to the person's PM. Very useful for people like me who get emails directly on the phone on the move.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:54   #2460
BHPian

Can we have the main menu bars repeated at the bottom of every page? (the two bars which show "Home/About Us/FORUM/Test Drives/Advice/More" and "BHP Garage/ Classifieds/Team-BHP FAQ/Members List/Calendar/ New Posts/ Search/Quick Links")

This will avoid the pain of scrolling up every time after you have finished reading a post at bottom or have posted a reply.

Most Viewed