Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 14:39   #2506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinthrk View Post
I meant it to be updated by members travelling that route (like mangalore route as you mentioned).
If you see for Madurai route there is a thread Bangalore to Kanyakumari and Madurai is a place inbetween these two places, so you would be getting the route infor to Madurai from this thread.

It becomes confusing for users to find it if there are more Threads, as you see in Mangalore thread you will get full detailed information about road condition till Gokarna and there is no new thread fo Bangalore to Gokarna.

You give Madurai in the Thread Search tool in particular section and you will find the Bangalore - Kanyakumari thread.

Aravin i hope you got the point.

Last edited by gowda79 : 9th October 2009 at 14:41.
Old 14th October 2009, 13:45   #2507
Senior - BHPian

Well, If I need only 4 LTD and 4 Got bhp stickers, should I order 4 separate sets?

There should also be an option for us to choose the stickers we need in the desired quantity apart from selling all of them in a set like is followed now.
Old 21st October 2009, 12:41   #2508
Senior - BHPian

Saw this when i logged in just now ,anybody else experiencing the same thing ?
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-untitled.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2009, 15:39   #2509
Senior - BHPian

Can the mods please allow more than just pics on the Accidents thread? There are small discussions but it never goes really too OT. But one of the mods is saying that only pics and details about the accidents can be posted and absolutely nothing else.
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:45   #2510
BHPian

Sub-Forums in Shifting Gears

Team-BHP is increasingly becoming popular with auto enthusiasts nationwide (and of course, abroad!) which is evident from number of visitors, threads and posts in each section.

Also, a dedicated section for non-automotive threads and banter makes for icing on the cake. With topics ranging from politics to sports to entertainment and gossip, our forum has everything!

And this is also where I see a problem too. Apart from Gadgets and Team-BHP meets, just about everything is in a medley. I therefore propose to the moderators to increase the number of sub-forums in this section to allow for more categorised view of threads.

Some of the suggestions for sub-forums (in addition to existing sub-forums) are:

Sports
Education
Employment / Employer / Jobs
Health
Photography
Travel / Migration

What say, BHPians ? Don't you people think sub-forums would be helpful? Please comment and maybe even suggest more ideas for sub-forums in this section.
Old 22nd October 2009, 21:57   #2511
Senior - BHPian

It is a crying shame that of late, team bhp membership seems to have become a long examination/trial/tribulation. Before I am jumped upon by others, or the usual mantra of quality is trumped, I just wish to place some titles from Introduce yourself - Team-BHP for people to consider and have a solid look at:
  • Yes, the time has come for me!
  • At last I am in T-BHP!
  • Feels great to be here
  • Where was i all this time!
  • Thank you,Mr Moderator
  • The perfect Diwali Gift....rrroom
  • Hello BhP Finally
  • Other threads like elendil (Thanks to the moderators to let me in)
This is a stark difference from say:
Introduce yourself - Page 51 - Team-BHP

Maybe things can be made friendlier, no?

Last edited by phamilyman : 22nd October 2009 at 21:58.
Old 23rd October 2009, 02:39   #2512
BHPian

The search function does not recognise two-letter words, which causes difficulties if you're searching for something that has only two letters. Let's say I want to find posts relating to the O2, a new vehicle from the Maruti stable. A search throws up this helpful message: "The search term you specified (o2) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer".

Just how am I expected to make the term longer?
Old 23rd October 2009, 02:59   #2513
BHPian

Managing knowledgebase with wikis

1. There is a lot of knowledge and experience but spread across posts and threads which makes it difficult to collate. It might be a good idea to put up wikis which can be edited by privileged users

Eg:
Wiki for ECU mod
Wiki for tyre upgrades
Wiki for maintenance
Wiki for tuning shops and driving schools etc.

2. There can be a rating system for Showrooms, banks and especially *mechanic workshops*. We can show mechanic shops in a googlemaps widgets based on user provided location and users can rate them. Everybody can rate. This will be very useful for getting excellent car care and also for finding reliable mechanics while traveling.

3. Search needs to be improved to show chronologically recent results on top as well as more relevant results.
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:01   #2514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
It is a crying shame that of late, team bhp membership seems to have become a long examination/trial/tribulation.
Also along these lines, why would someone who was rejected the first few times be allowed in subsequently? After all, there are no criteria like knowledge about cars to enter this forum. The only thing (I assume!) is to have some passion for autmobiles. If they didn't have it the first two times, how did they suddenly find it in the third attempt?
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:14   #2515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
There should also be an option for us to choose the stickers we need in the desired quantity apart from selling all of them in a set like is followed now.
Beejay,

At the moment, due to logistics we only offer stickers in sets. Perhaps sometime down the line we will consider either individual stickers or an assortment of sets with different stickers in each, but at the moment this is how it is. Perhaps contact some BHPians in your city via PM and do a swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Saw this when i logged in just now ,anybody else experiencing the same thing ?
You seem to be the only person reporting this. Looks like your browser is just tiling the wrong image to make the horizontal bars. If hitting refresh a couple of times didn't fix the problem, clearing your browser cache should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Can the mods please allow more than just pics on the Accidents thread?
Haven't been following it too closely. Will let someone else reply to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
....Also, a dedicated section for non-automotive threads and banter makes for icing on the cake. With topics ranging from politics to sports to entertainment and gossip, our forum has everything!....
Akhilesh,

That is a point that has been raised in different ways recently. However, our CORE is automotive discussions -- and therefore we'd prefer to give these discussions the spotlight and room to grow (ie sections / sub-sections). I do agree that our members have valuable points and insight to share on a wide gamut of topics, and we do allow this -- however we'd rather have our focus set on automobiles.... atleast for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
....I just wish to place some titles from Introduce yourself for people to consider and have a solid look at:
Maybe things can be made friendlier, no?
The rigorous membership approval process has done a lot to help the forum sustain huge growth and keep the quality high.

Even though members are allowed to write whatever they wish and currently feel in their intro threads, I do see your point about the type of content in there these days. (Here is what we typically suggest is included in an intro).

What do you suggest we do here ?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd October 2009 at 14:21.
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:19   #2516
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
The search function does not recognise two-letter words,
Just how am I expected to make the term longer?
Edsel,

One option is to use the advanced search, and search for "recent threads" containing another longer/related word -- eg. Maruti, in your example.

But the easiest way is to use the Google Custom Site Search :
Read about it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnetid View Post
1. There is a lot of knowledge and experience but spread across posts and threads which makes it difficult to collate. It might be a good idea to put up wikis which can be edited by privileged users

2. There can be a rating system for Showrooms, banks and especially *mechanic workshops*. We can show mechanic shops in a googlemaps widgetsbased on user provided location and users can rate them. Everybody can rate. This will be very useful for getting excellent car care and also for finding reliable mechanics while traveling....
Excellent suggestion kcnetid, and believe me when we say we have been discussing and working towards something similar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Also along these lines, why would someone who was rejected the first few times be allowed in subsequently? After all, there are no criteria like knowledge about cars to enter this forum. The only thing (I assume!) is to have some passion for autmobiles. If they didn't have it the first two times, how did they suddenly find it in the third attempt?
McLaren_Rulez,

Passion for automobiles is indeed something most of us share, but it is not the sole criteria (or sometimes not even a criteria) for new member approvals.
Amongst other things, there is a certain level of post quality, as well as an ability to follow rules that we would like to see in our new members. Surely the understanding of this can change a previously not accepted member to an accepted one on a later membership attempt.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd October 2009 at 14:21.
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:39   #2517
BHPian

Dear mods, a one small suggestion, if we can have something like the poll counter which will indicate the car makers(GM,TATA,FORD ..etc) which will be selected as and when a member books a car. The counter should give a fair indication of what seems to be the most preferred choice of car make/brand and probably also will give an indication of general purchase trend of the indian public. I see a lot of Fiats and Tatas being purchased offlate. Fiats at one point were almost written off from wishlist of general indian car buyer because of its A.S.S but now seems like with the linea and punto they have kind of done a roundabout and are doing brisk sales numbers. Also with the cruze coming in defenitely we will see more purchases for the GM which again did not do so well in the indian market in the past. The sale of skoda which once used to be a very popular brand seems to be in the downward spiral due to its pathetic approach to its customers and the segment being bombarded with likes of cruze, altis etc. Please ignore if its not a valid suggestion, I just wanted to see what is the most popular brand in this forum and maybe get an insight of the emerging purchasing trends in current indian market scenario with so many new cars coming in.
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:06   #2518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
....The counter should give a fair indication of what seems to be the most preferred choice of car make/brand and probably also will give an indication of general purchase trend of the indian public.....
Rotorhead,

We have actually discouraged "counts" on the "I booked my car" thread because it's not really an indication of the Indian car scene as its a small sample set and only those enthusiastic members who post there are counted. We also didn't want the thread to go off topic or be viewed as some sort of competition.

I agree it is interesting to look at the monthly sales figures and compare them, and that is exactly what the following threads do -- using accurate all-india sales numbers released every month. Check em out :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html

cya
R
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:53   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Rotorhead,

We have actually discouraged "counts" on the "I booked my car" thread because it's not really an indication of the Indian car scene as its a small sample set and only those enthusiastic members who post there are counted. We also didn't want the thread to go off topic or be viewed as some sort of competition.

I agree it is interesting to look at the monthly sales figures and compare them, and that is exactly what the following threads do -- using accurate all-india sales numbers released every month. Check em out :

cya
R
Thanks rehaan. The mods seem to have covered everything under the sun. Good job mods, keep up the good work.
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:39   #2520
Senior - BHPian

1.Today morning when i checked my mail box i received 39 mails for my add in classified section which i corrected yesterday.

2.Check the post count of the Member who is still a Newbie 4294967295
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-untitled.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks