Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2009, 08:52   #2521
Senior - BHPian

I do realize an internet medium has its limitations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The rigorous membership approval process has done a lot to help the forum sustain huge growth and keep the quality high.

Even though members are allowed to write whatever they wish and currently feel in their intro threads, I do see your point about the type of content in there these days. (Here is what we typically suggest is included in an intro).

What do you suggest we do here ?

cya
R
The issue is that it filters out those who are passionate about automotives but cannot communicate to save their lives

My suggestion is twofold:
a. The gent in question after 1-2 tries (and is of suitable age/experience) can be allowed to speak to a DBHPian/mod in their region. On the telephone, it can be totally apparent within 2 minutes! About the same time that one would spend in approving their membership online!
b. Certain senior BHPians can be allowed to vouch (this is a call best left to the wisdom of the mods) for the identity/seriousness of the applicant

My point is that typed english is a poor substitute for trust/intuition arising out of more direct communication!

Or alternatively, they can be invited to any monthly meet - depending on what senior/DBHpians feel, they can then pm the mods. Take care of privacy issues as well.
Old 27th October 2009, 00:52   #2522
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel that way too many people end up crapping threads with useless replies.

An example:

A review thread. Either of the Fortuner or the Cruze. Good reviews both and there is a lot of relevant info beyond the first page, but it becomes a pain to sift through the various posts. I love the new E-class and loved the review with the pics. But I'm afraid that soon, it is going to be 20 pages long with most of the posts like, "Great review GTO", etc...

I think more than deleting posts which differ from the common perception, the mods and support team should delete these posts which dont add value. I know they do it now also(I've seen a few posts get deleted), but on an even more extensive scale.

Also, there are so many long term ownership threads and many of them run into tens of pages and it becomes a real hassle to try to go through them. KP's Getz thread, GTO's C220 thread, come to mind instantly.

Something should really be done. Ownership threads especially should remain confined to the owners' reports and direct questions from people regarding the car.
Old 28th October 2009, 02:23   #2523
BHPian

Did the mods think about going into publication? Why not come up with a travel magazine? With our rich travelogue section we can be the number 1 bestseller.
Old 28th October 2009, 18:22   #2524
BHPian

@Mods

Not sure if this has been already posted by someone before. Also not sure if this is do'able, but just a suggestion.

In the classifieds under a product category, there are columns for Views, Condition, Price and Date but it would be great if we also had a column for City. This way I can only lookup ads which are from my city and not waste time looking up all the ads and figuring out if the item is available in my city. Having Views as a column does not really help much (atleast to me). Maybe displaying Price as a column would also be helpful to a lot of people (just a thought).
Old 30th October 2009, 22:16   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
Today morning when i checked my mail box i received 39 mails for my add in classified section which i corrected yesterday
Get about 325 of those every week or so in my email.
Old 31st October 2009, 05:56   #2526
BHPian

Suggestion/Query

I love this forum and finally I was able to get in. But mods guess what in the column for "why team-BHP?" It clearly states that limit it to 60 words. On the other hand when you limit it to 60 words you are rejected. I finally wrote about a few hundred words and then was in. Request you to look into this and change it to 600(which I now realize is what you meant by 60 or not?) cause you know its kind of misleading!
Thanks and regards
Old 31st October 2009, 14:20   #2527
BHPian

is this true? he's sure go a lot of post for a newbie.

system post count error.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-how.jpg  

Old 10th November 2009, 16:07   #2528
BHPian

Mods has the watermark for the pictures been changed,if so it looks great,keep it up.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:37   #2529
BHPian

We already have the rule that Newbies posts need approval before it shows up on the forum.

To reduce the number of unnecessary threads how about:
1. New threads by BHPians need approval
2. New threads by Senior and D-BHPians (and mods ) dont need approval
Old 10th November 2009, 23:39   #2530
BHPian

As we have restrictions on discussing street racing etc, we don't encourage drunken driving which is illegal, we should also make some effort to restrict people mentioning about they achieving high speeds with their expensive cars. Many members here take pride in telling that they did some 150+ or 180+ KMPH on so and so road. This is illegal too. This should be highly discouraged as it conveys a wrong message. Most of the highways in India (except expressways IMO) have speed limits not more than 80 KMPH. We as a well informed/educated community of car enthusiasts should set right example as the content of this forum is publicly readable.

Please add this as a new rule to our existing set. Please allow members to report such posts and let moderators delete those posts with a warning to the poster.
Old 11th November 2009, 13:25   #2531
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnetid View Post
There can be a rating system for Showrooms, banks and especially *mechanic workshops*. We can show mechanic shops in a googlemaps widgets based on user provided location and users can rate them. Everybody can rate. This will be very useful for getting excellent car care and also for finding reliable mechanics while traveling.
Mods & DBHPians are currently in discussion on the exact same topic. Thanks for the suggestion! You can expect a v1 release in the coming month but, of course, the section will be substantially modified / fine-tuned with time.

Quote:
Search needs to be improved to show chronologically recent results on top as well as more relevant results.
On the search page, choose "last posting date" in "descending order". There's a ton of more search options that'll help you find exactly what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I feel that way too many people end up crapping threads with useless replies.
Nikhil, please use the "report this post to a moderator" feature for any posts that you think are spam / non-value-adding. We will look into the same ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviceDriver View Post
Did the mods think about going into publication?
Why would we take a step back ? The internet is today and tommorow, while print is yesterday. Nope, Team-BHP has absolutely no plans to venture into print publication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurtazaGhiya View Post
In the classifieds under a product category, there are columns for Views, Condition, Price and Date but it would be great if we also had a column for City.
The same has already been implemented (based on user suggestions) into the new version of our classifieds software, and is currently being tested (pre-launch). Hold on just a li'l bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
is this true? he's sure go a lot of post for a newbie.
Thanks. Database error, currently being corrected. Should be complete in an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
Mods has the watermark for the pictures been changed,if so it looks great,keep it up.
Nope, no changes whatsoever to the Team-BHP watermark. Which image did you see this watermark on? Kindly provide a link. It could be a scoop picture on which custom watermarks are added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
1. New threads by BHPians need approval
Though I have pondered over this earlier, as of today, we don't require thread moderation. Also, we are continuously deleting & merging threads. The threads you see on the forum right now are far lesser than would have been without the Mod team's intervention. The forum is monitored 24/7 for repeat / irrelevant threads. If you do see any, please use the "report this post to a moderator" function and get it to our notice. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Please add this as a new rule to our existing set. Please allow members to report such posts and let moderators delete those posts with a warning to the poster.
Hey, the last time I did a 140, it was on a private test track. To be honest, there is no way to verify the actual speed and what conditions the same was supposedly achieved in. We do not plan to amend the rules. Period.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:19   #2532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Displaying the EXIF & adding a watermark to the thumbnails as well is planned over the next upgrade.
Any update on images retaining EXIF data after T-Bhp logo overlay.
Old 11th November 2009, 14:40   #2533
BHPian

How about a mobile client to surf TBHP? Any thoughts on that?

Me thinks that a magazine publication would be a great idea. It is wonderful to the many folks who have cars and time and need good ideas for travel and also details how to go about it. And many folks do not have access or ignorant about how to surf with ease.

Some common problems while driving with family ( also when solo) is that of toilet breaks, quick snacks or locating mechanic for on road issues. Perhaps a directory like database state wise would be a great asset. Of course members will be able to contribute the feature locations from their trips. For e.g HVkumar's Leh-Ladakh trip logs mention is great detail about petrol pumps, credit card acceptance, hotels and others. Helped me in noting it for my upcoming trip. So did lightinin's vadodra-jaisalmer travelogue which indicated the lack of dhabas or eateries on the barmer route.

Thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 14:10   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Suggestion:

How about having a link under the 'view my garage' one on the profiles when one posts on the forums, saying 'view my ownership thread'. It would be really helpful to easily locate this persons ownership thread immediately.

EDIT:

If not under the 'view my garage' link (it may look cluttered) at least in the drop down menu that comes when click a members name.

cheers

Last edited by anekho : 13th November 2009 at 14:17.
Old 13th November 2009, 23:18   #2535
BANNED

I'm getting an additional duplicate e-mail for the subscribed threads which are having the Weekly e-mail notification.

Mods please look into this matter...

Most Viewed